Not Engaged Yet
Options

It's Basically Friday...

Re: It's Basically Friday...

• Options
    @labro - There is no getting around tamales at Christmas.  I just hope one of the tias makes pineapple tamales this year!  They are my favorite!!!  Now if I could just get out of the menudo...
  • Options
    @CocoBellaF I have no idea what menudo is. Is it normally delicious if you're not pregnant?

• Options

@minskat30 thanks for the recipe!

@cocobellaF Have fun at TSO tonight.

@speakeasy14 I love that idea the stocking with movies and snacks, how cute.

Anniversary

• Options
    speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    The pickle is probably the only German tradition my family does; my Oma introduced it to us. If anyone is bored, here's the story about it: CLICKY

eta apparently most Germans don't do it either haha
  • Options
    minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    @cocobellaf - Weird, my sister's husband's family is Mexican and they all open presents Christmas Day...maybe it is because they are all too drunk to open them Christmas Eve at midnight (actually, I'm pretty certain that is it...lol).  I'll join you at the barf table with menudo going on Christmas Day.  Blech.  

@labro - I really don't like menudo pregnant or not.  It is a Mexican soup with tripe usually.
  • Options
    The pickle is probably the only German tradition my family does; my Oma introduced it to us. If anyone is bored, here's the story about it: CLICKY

eta apparently most Germans don't do it either haha
    Lol makes sense now why I have never heard of this tradition as being German. We do all the German things for Christmas and we used to celebrate St. Nicholas day when we lived in Germany, and my oma told us stories about Krampus (she gave him another name but that's who the stories were about) and how about Krampus would visit her village and beat all the bad children....German Christmas is a happy and wonderful time you guys! ;)

• Options
    @CocoBellaF My mom's side (Colombian) open gifts Christmas eve. They live in Colombia so it's not like we went there every year, but we would open the gifts we got from them on Christmas eve and then make an international call to them. It was definitely a good warm up for the next morning!
  • Options
    @minskat30 Ehhhh I don't mind tripe so much...at Korean bbq it's pretty delicious....but the thought of it in soup is making my stomach roil.

• Options
    @labro the Belsnickel? I got hit by one haha 
  • Options
    @minskat30 - I don't know if it's super widespread or not, or if it depends on the area they originally come from.  H's family is from Northern Mexico (Delicias).

@labro - Menudo is never a good option, IMO.  Google pictures of it, if you're feeling brave.
  • Options

@labro definitely, H & I talk all the time about how we know exactly what traits of our parents that we hate and will not be like, so I think it'll work to our advantage to be really great parents haha. And did Cinders really eat all those critters...?! I'd say my Kitty is on the naughty list.

@jenjen047 ok your Christmas sounds like a blast. My family never drank and even as a kid I was like this is boring, I wanna go to Amanda's where her parents are wasted and let us run amuck! lol

• Options
    @speakeasy14 Omg I don't even remember anymore. It's obviously one of those convoluted German names you're never going to keep straight...especially after years and years. But he followed behind St. Nicholas and left your parents switches and chunks of coal if you'd been bad, but if you were really really bad, he dragged you out of the house and beat you himself. My oma said she got switches and coal most years lol. Just imagine an old German lady saying "I was very bad!" in a strong accent.

• Options
    My great-uncle married a woman from Germany while he was stationed there.  She had the BEST cheesecake recipe for Christmas.  They are both gone now, and the recipe is lost.  :(
  • Options
    @jenna8984 She didn't eat them. She just murdered the poor things in cold blood and then left them because they wouldn't "play" with her anymore. Except for that one bunny she attempted to swallow whole because H was trying to take it from her...

• Options
    @labro - Cinders is the worst!!!!!

• Options
    @wink0erin Omg that poor cat!!!!! That's the best costume I've seen yet!

• Options
    @cocobellaf - Ha!  I hear you on menudo.  I can't stand it.  My BIL's family is from a small mountain town about an hour or two from Guadalajara so very different region.  I have a feeling their tradition of opening presents on Christmas Day is more about the fact that everyone is drinking and forgets to open presents Christmas Eve, however.  ;)   

@labro - Cinders?!  A murderer?!?  I'd defend her in a court of law with that face.  

@wink0erin - Mmmmm latkas.  Yummy. 
  • Options
    @labro hahahahaa yup! There are a lot of German traditions in PA because of the Pennsylvania Dutch, near my house there's a place that recreates what it was like when the Quakers were around.  At Christmas the Belsnickel comes out and hits all the naughty children with sticks. Every. Freaking. Year. I was hit and my Oma would laugh and say it was nothing like the Belsnickel in Germany. 

@jenjen047 omg look at her sweater and haircut! 

@CocoBellaF & @minskat30 I hope for your stomach & noses that you don't have to deal with the menudo.  Maybe load a scarf with essential oils to hide the fish smell.  My sister has already said she's doing that for my aunt's since there will be lots of fish. 
  • Options
    @speakeasy14  that's an interesting way to keep you guys up! My parents just did things while I was asleep since I'm a sound sleeper. As I got older, they'd wrap while I was out or something. I know one year they put all the stuff at my mum's friend's place lol

@Peaseblossom55 yes. NEY nap time!!

@labro Innocent Cinders, she gets away with a lot with that face ;)
  • Options
    @untouchablets That is such a sweet Christmas story! In a way, I guess "santa" was real in your community. 

@labro I pretended to believe way longer than I led on to. I knew it was important to my parents. They still leave "santa" gifts under the tree, which is basically anything that was too large or awkward to wrap. 

@minskat30Risalamande sounds DELICIOUS! I

• Options
    @MissKittyDanger oh no that was so we would let my parents sleep because we'd be up at 3am ready to open presents haha
  • Options
    @wink0erin My parents wrapped Santa gifts too. Is this a thing, that Santa gifts aren't wrapped???

The Santa gifts DID come in different wrapping paper and with different tags than our other gifts.

• Options
    @speakeasy14  lol! Well I guess that works too :P 
  • Options
    @labro @wink0erin  my parents wrapped Santa gifts in different paper also! Never heard of Santa not wrapping gifts ...
  • Options
    Santa gave us gifts wrapped, and they were different from the wrapping paper used for the rest of the gifts and the gifts our parents gave us for Christmas.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards