Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Can't find dress shape for muscled shortie

My body type has been best described as '8 year old boy'.  It's okay, I think it's funny.  I'm 5'2 with muscles, shoulders of a linebacker and no boobs.  I tried on some gowns over the holidays and it was been quite tragic.  In column dress it actually looks like I'm kneeling instead of standing, like the bottom half of my legs are MIA.  Any advice from the boobless or short on what the heck might look good would be welcome!!!

Re: Can't find dress shape for muscled shortie

• Options
    Maybe a halter style? I've been told that that style de-emphasizes shoulders and depending on the fabric might enhance the bust. I have a friend whose daughter lifts weights competitively  (so has very muscular shoulders) she wore a halter style and it was quite flattering.
  • Options
    I feel you with being short, although I which my body also looked more like yours! I'm 5'3" and found that sheaths fit me the best overall, so that would include my height I guess. May I ask what you wore underneath to try on dresses? Its often suggested you try and wear something very close to what you would wear the day of, so if you didn't already make sure your wearing at least the height of shoe you want to be so you get the full picture. I wonder if a mermaid style would help, since the dress itself dictates where your knees begin?
  • Options
    One of my good friends who got married last year was 5'3" and very similar body shape. She had a mermaid dress, sleeveless, but it had lace straps (the neckline underneath was sweetheart, which accentuated her boobs). She also wore a belt with her gown to help accentuate her fit figure, which, like yours, is awesome. 

I'm 5'3" and have a medium bust (B/C cup, depending on the bra), medium build, size 6. My dress is a "sheath-A line" (I did not know such a thing existed, but that's what the ladies at the dress shop told me, anyway). It has 3/4 sleeves, and is off the shoulder. All the dresses I had tried before, especially strapless, made me feel very short and a bit stumpy. That one made me feel taller and svelter, and definitely brought out my curves, but kept me feeling petite, too. So maybe try to find a strap or sleeve style that elongates the dress and I think makes for a "taller" visual effect?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm 5'0 and am wearing a fit-n-flair. My figure is more of an hour-and-a-half glass as I like to call it, I'm a little thicker on the bottom. I am not nearly as fit as you are, I wear a size 4 and am a C-cup, but I like the way the bodice of the fit-n-flair accentuates the smallest part of me while complementing in the right areas. My dress is satin with boning which I think helps keep the shape.
    A belt would add emphasis to your waist, and I agree that a halter can minimize shoulder width. One of my cousins was a swimmer and chose a halter for her gown and it looked wonderful on her. Happy hunting!!!
  • Options
    A say mermaid or trumpet! So long as the flair out is not too low! Also who ever told you that is obviously jealous out of their minds!
  • Options
    A halter is great for minimizing shoulders, as is a one shoulder dress.  They both create the image of a top that tapers to a slimmer point.  You've got a great waistline, so I'd add a sparkly belt to highlight that.  And princess seams can really elongate a petite form.
  • Options
    I'm about the same height as you and I also wore a fit and flare dress. I was very happy with how it looked. 
  • Options
    I'm a crossfitter and have the same lat/shoulder problem. I'm also 5'2. I found a corset type up was great. Also a modified sweetheart looked great for having a smaller chest. I went with an a-line, but I'm more of a tiny waist big hips kind of girl
  • Options
    When you go to a bridal salon ask what designers they have that do hollow to hem measurements.  Or designers that have petite sizes.  Since you are on the shorter side this will be very beneficial especially if you pick a mermaid or trumpet style dress.  You want that flare to hit you at the right spot and if the length of the dress isn't proportional to your height then the flare will be off and it will make you look shorter.  To get an idea of what the flare out will look like on you in a sample just hike up the skirt.

But you have a great body so you should want to show it off.  I think you would look great in any style dress, but I know that when you have a lot of extra fabric around your feet that it can be hard to envision the dress once it is altered to fit you.

David's Bridal also has wedding dresses in petite sizes so that could be an option as well.

• Options
    Maybe an A line with wide straps or cap sleeves? I personally feel cap sleeves and straps can help soften the shoulders a little.

I'm short (5'2) and small chested as well, with wide shoulders. I know if can be hard to dress at times, but I'm sure you'll find the perfect gown.

• Options
    I'm built exactly like you only I'm 2"shorter. I posted a picture of my dress below, I was shocked at the style that looked good on me. Get a designer that does hollow to hem fit, it makes alterations a lot less! For the record my bust is so small it didn't fit on the sizing chart so that was the only thing I had to get altered.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help!  I took the advice and decided to go with a fit and flair/mermaid style, which helped to offset my shoulders.  And I'm saying screw the boobs and highlighting my 'assets' with the Willowby Inez.  It's basically a Katie May for 400 less!
  • Options
    That dress is stunning!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards