Wedding Woes
Options

Poll: Do you wear makeup at work?

edited January 2016 in Wedding Woes
Do you ladies wear makeup at work? I'm a bit of a makeup hoarder and I am obsessed with trying new looks and new lip colors, but I just don't have any motivation to put makeup on every day for work.

Poll: Do you wear makeup at work? 67 votes

Yes, every day
50% 34 votes
No, never
17% 12 votes
Sometimes, depends on my mood
31% 21 votes

Re: Poll: Do you wear makeup at work?

• Options
    When I worked, yes everyday. Now there are probably two or three days a week I don't wear makeup - better for the skin. I am a makeup whore! I can't resist trying new things.
  • Options
    Definitely depends on my mood and the day. Some days I am just simply too tired or lazy. Recently I've been trying to wear it more to experiment with what the best eye makeup for me is. I've decided to do my own makeup for the wedding, so trying to get everything figured out and practiced well ahead of time. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    When I worked toward in a papermill so no. Now I put it on 3-4 days a week. I need a little tinted moisturizer now. 
  • Options
    Yes, I wear makeup to work every day. I also do my hair every day and dress nicely every day. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I wear makeup everyday at work, and I am also a semi collector and like to try new things out. I reserve more vibrant or vamp lipsticks for the weekend thought. I also do my hair 99% of the time. 
  • Options
    I work from home.   While I always at least get dressed, I never "do" my hair or makeup.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I wear makeup everyday to work. I try not to wear it on the weekends if I'm staying home. It was instilled in my brain when I was growing up that when you left the house, you never know who you might meet or see so you always want to look your best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    At home is different. I don't do shit to myself at home. And if I leave the house, it depends where I am going and what I'm doing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I don't wear makeup at all unless I'm on stage.

• Options
    I work from home, so I rarely wear make-up.  I do if I'm going out OR if I'm going to the office.  

I worked in my company's office for over 10 years and rarely gave a fuck what people thought of what I wore/looked like.  Now, going into the office makes me so self-conscious.  I'm always fretting over my outfit and hair.  HA. 
  • Options
    My job has two components, when I am in clinic seeing patients, I wear light makeup (eye only). When I am in the lab, its ponytail, no makeup!
  • Options
    Depends on what you consider make up....

I have not great skin (acne, fair bit of scaring), so I do not leave the house without tinted moisturizer and/or cover up on; doesn't matter where I am going.

As for the rest- not to work. I work in a hospital, I wear scrubs and running shoes. I also detest waking up any earlier than I have to, so my morning routine is as minimal as possible. Lots of the nurses do wear make up and have nice hair, and *sometimes* I think I should put in a bit more effort.... but I don't ;).

Even when I go out, unless I'm getting really dressed up, it's mascara, and bit of light eye shadow with some highlighting shades. Lip gloss if I remember it. Usually I put gloss or lipstick on at my house, but then never end up re-applying it again. 

As for the fancy nights- mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, blush, lipstick/gloss- but I tend to stick with tried and true colours/products. Sometimes I'd like to be a bit more adventurous, but I don't know what colours look good on me or how to apply it! (I'm stilling figuring out black liquid eyeliner for the top eye lid- I do like the cats eye look). 
  • Options
    I love makeup and spend too much money on it between Sephora, Ulta, and Ipsy.  I also have olive skin, so I need foundation to even out my complexion.  I wear less makeup at work, which basically means just a nude eyeshadow, but I never leave the house without at minimum foundation, bronzer, black eyeliner and mascara.
  • Options
    Most days yes, but it's usually very simple. I wear foundation to even out my skin tone and mascara. Some days I don't even curl my lashes and just put on foundation and mascara. If we have the big bosses in town, then I will wear more makeup to feel presentable. But usually I stay in my office and barely come out haha. So I don't care too much day to day.
  • Options
    I fill in my brows, put on mascara, and conceal under-eye circles every time I go out in public. But I only do a full face of makeup (foundation, eyeshadow, liner, etc) if I'm going out socially, not to work.
  • Options
    I love makeup, but I typically wear it on date nights, to social gatherings with friends (I'm a member of a group that does educational events and parties; I wear makeup there, but not at game nights or just hanging out), or when I have way more time than intended and nothing else I need/want to do. I will not wake up early to put it on, because I would rather sleep than spend five more minutes getting ready after I shower. I have a friend who wears makeup everyday, and posts her "style of the day" online. She always looks amazing, and I admire her boldness and her passion.

• Options
    I love makeup, skincare, and beauty products in general. I work from home, and don't feel required in any way to wear it but I would say I put on makeup just about every day because I do love it. 
  • Options
    Generally, I wear it most days. I'm really pale so if I don't wear mascara I look weird. If its a Sunday and I'm in the house? Forget it! I also look forward to holidays with my FI when I go make up free for the whole week for a little break - he's always amazed how much quicker it is for me to get ready, ha!

• Options
    I work from home but I interact with people in person when I drop my kids at school and pick them up, so I do wear makeup daily.  I really don't like my skin and it makes me uncomfortable to not wear makeup in public.  I don't wear a lot, it's mostly to even out the blotches.
  • Options
    I always have makeup on, even if it's just foundation and some mascara. I'm incredibly self-conscious and don't have the best skin so I never leave the house unless I have at least a little something on. For work, it's foundation, blush and eye makeup (shadow, liner mascara). I'm not the best at putting on makeup but it's better than if I left the house with nothing on.
  • Options
    I always wear make up when I leave the house.

• Options
    I always wear at least my minimum: under eye concealer, eyeliner, mascara. I'm very pale and just think I look like a ghost without something on my eyes. 

If something important is going on at work I"ll make extra effort with some light foundation or tinted moisturizer and neutral eye shadow. 

• Options
    At my previous job, no. Depending on the type of job I get in the near future, probably yes every day. 

I waffle about makeup. I love it, I own a fair amount, I enjoy putting it on and mostly enjoy wearing it. But I hate taking it off, and I hate having to avoid eye-scratching, nose-blowing, drink-sipping, etc. where the makeup I carefully applied gets disturbed. Like, I absolutely love wearing lipstick. If I could only choose one makeup product it would be that one. But the constant reapplying is a pain in the frickin ass and makes me not wear it as often.

If I get a job with a reasonable start time (say 8am or later) I will make an effort to at least do BB cream, mascara, and lipstick every day, because I do feel more confident and put together that way. And I think the data is pretty clear that wearing makeup in the workplace is seen as more professional. 
  • Options
    I always wear makeup when i go into the office, and probably 75% of the time when I leave the house. If it will take me longer to do my makeup than actually run an errand, I usually won't bother. I also don't bother when i'm doing things like going to see my massage therapist because having my face in the table for 45 minutes would just destroy it anyways. 

My hair is long right now, so it's always pulled back (bun, french braid, tucked ponytail). 

For work: primer, concealer if needed, foundation, light BE "warmth", light blush, eye primer, eye shadow (usually 2 colors), (sometimes) liner, mascara. I am not a fan of lipstick because it comes off too easily, so if i use anything, it's chapstick or gloss with minimal color. (I have a been working on finding a kickass red for nights out, but it's too much for everyday wear.)
  • Options
    I always wear at least my minimum: under eye concealer, eyeliner, mascara. I'm very pale and just think I look like a ghost without something on my eyes. 

If something important is going on at work I"ll make extra effort with some light foundation or tinted moisturizer and neutral eye shadow. 
    I think this is the other thing that bugs me. If you don't wear makeup, then on the occasions you do, you feel like a million bucks. Everyone tells you you look great and asks you if you have a hot date or whatever (ask me how I know...).

But if you regularly wear makeup but something goes wrong in the morning and you have to go in without it (even if you put it on once you get there), the comments can be awful. I had a coworker like this, and if she came into the office without mascara people would actually say things like "Oh my god, you look terrible! Are you okay?!" It was really fucked up. 
  • Options

I used to wear a full face every day. Even to get the mail. Three or so years ago I decided I was spending too much money on makeup and my skin was suffering from wearing too much. So I stopped. I wear makeup now only if I'm going out somewhere. I work in an office where we don't have people just stopping in or anything and if someone else has a meeting, I'm never involved so I don't wear makeup here.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Seriously @spockforprez this drives me crazy! I usually just wear primer and powder foundation with mascara to work, but on the days when I'm running late and don't everyone is constantly asking me what's wrong/if I'm sick/if I'm upset. No, I just look like a person today. 
  • Options

I used to wear a full face every day. Even to get the mail. Three or so years ago I decided I was spending too much money on makeup and my skin was suffering from wearing too much. So I stopped. I wear makeup now only if I'm going out somewhere. I work in an office where we don't have people just stopping in or anything and if someone else has a meeting, I'm never involved so I don't wear makeup here.

I think this might have something to do with why I don't wear it every day. I used to wear a full face every day no matter what I was doing. Then, I developed some horrible cystic acne in my early 20's (which realistically probably had nothing to do with my makeup), and it definitely made me paranoid. I never made a conscious choice to stop wearing it every day, but now that I think about it that was definitely the same time that I started cutting back.

• Options
    I WFH but leave to bring the kids to daycare and put my standard makeup on every day.

It helps me feel more put together.   
  • Options

I think this is the other thing that bugs me. If you don't wear makeup, then on the occasions you do, you feel like a million bucks. Everyone tells you you look great and asks you if you have a hot date or whatever (ask me how I know...).

But if you regularly wear makeup but something goes wrong in the morning and you have to go in without it (even if you put it on once you get there), the comments can be awful. I had a coworker like this, and if she came into the office without mascara people would actually say things like "Oh my god, you look terrible! Are you okay?!" It was really fucked up. 
    I really don't think people are purposefully being rude when they say things like that.  I think it is more that if someone comes into work looking one way every single day for months at a time, but then one day comes in looking different it is noticeable and may lead people to question if there is something wrong.

I wear a full face (not heavy) of make up to work every day.  I also do my hair, whether it be up in a nice bun or blown out, I also dress well.  Now if I came into work with no makeup on, or my hair wet, or dressed in wrinkled clothes, I am sure someone will question if I am okay.  Not because I look bad, but because I don't look like my 'normal' self.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards