• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Reception Ideas

Songs to Release Tables for Dinner?

At our reception, we are having a buffet-style dinner. A few tables at a time will be released to get in line, and I'd like to do something besides calling table numbers. I found the idea of putting song names on the tables, and when the song that's on your table is played, you get in line. Has anyone ever done this? Any advice? I think it's a fun idea but I'm worried that it won't work well.
knotdwKnottie1451085868
«1

Re: Songs to Release Tables for Dinner?

  • MobKaz said:
    At our reception, we are having a buffet-style dinner. A few tables at a time will be released to get in line, and I'd like to do something besides calling table numbers. I found the idea of putting song names on the tables, and when the song that's on your table is played, you get in line. Has anyone ever done this? Any advice? I think it's a fun idea but I'm worried that it won't work well.
    I don't really like either idea.  Calling out table numbers at a formal event sounds really inappropriate.  While I am waiting to get my dinner, I will be enjoying my beverage and conversing with the other guests at my table.  I don't want to have to keep "one ear open" to listen for a particular tune.  Isn't there a staff person that can quietly and gently approach tables as the buffet line clears?  I have only attended one buffet wedding.  We knew it was time for our table to be released when a staff person simply neared our table, pointed to the buffet and said, "If you please".
    This. What if I/tablemates didn't know the song? I have only seen staff release tables.
    InLoveInQueens
  • Ummm no. I don't want to be assigned a cute-sy chore to get to go eat dinner. 
    InLoveInQueensPrettyGirlLost
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    I would be confused by that and would probably miss the song anyway.

    We had a staff member actually walk over to the tables to release them. (We actually had stations, so she also told them which stations had which offerings.) Having the DJ announce them would have felt like a cattle call. 
  • I've been to two buffet receptions where staff just approached the table when it was our time and I liked that method the best. No one had to pay attention or participate in any games and the conversation didn't get interrupted by an announcement every few minutes.


    charlotte989875SP29
  • ViczaesarViczaesar Central Coast, CA member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    There's a better than even chance that I wouldn't know the song.  I would hate that set up.



  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    As a guest I would not be willing to be expected to sing before being "released" to get my supper. Just have a staff member quietly go to each table to let everyone know they can get on the buffet line.  Don't be "cute" about it.
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Jen4948 said:
    As a guest I would not be willing to be expected to sing before being "released" to get my supper. Just have a staff member quietly go to each table to let everyone know they can get on the buffet line.  Don't be "cute" about it.
    No one is being asked to "sing for their supper".   "When the song that's on your table is played, you get in line".
    STARMOON44
  • Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. All you need to do is have a staff member let people know it's their turn to get dinner. No gimmick required. 
    image
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    MobKaz said:
    Jen4948 said:
    As a guest I would not be willing to be expected to sing before being "released" to get my supper. Just have a staff member quietly go to each table to let everyone know they can get on the buffet line.  Don't be "cute" about it.
    No one is being asked to "sing for their supper".   "When the song that's on your table is played, you get in line".
    The point is I wouldn't try to come up with some cutesy " release" scheme.  I might not know the song or other "signal" to listen for.  I think it makes sense to just be straightforward about releasing tables, even if that means calling them by number or having a staffer discreetly visit each table.
  • driddrid member
    250 Love Its Third Anniversary 100 Comments Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to have a bit of a different opinion here, I was at a wedding that was a buffet dinner this past summer and they made it a contest for which tables were released. For example, the MC said... the first table that can show me a penny gets to go next, etc. with different things or random objects. It was kind of fun and made the wait a little more entertaining. ... They were some good MC's though so I think that made a difference. 

    Edit: Spelling and I said bit like 5 times
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • flantasticflantastic The Midwest member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    In addition to the previously mentioned concerns, it would be impossible to time the songs so that people are efficiently approaching the buffet, unless you keep cutting them off in the middle.
    InLoveInQueens
  • drid said:
    I'm going to have a bit of a different opinion here, I was at a wedding that was a buffet dinner this past summer and they made it a contest for which tables were released. For example, the MC said... the first table that can show me a penny gets to go next, etc. with different things or random objects. It was kind of fun and made the wait a little more entertaining. ... They were some good MC's though so I think that made a difference. 

    Edit: Spelling and I said bit like 5 times
    I'm glad you had fun but I would not want to be digging in my purse for change or other random objects before eating. Call me a party pooper but I'm totally happy just chatting until it's my turn to go up to the buffet and would not appreciate having to play some silly game.

    I'm also in the camp that says not to play table songs to release them. I'd probably miss the song and I think it'd be really hard to time.
    Ditto.  Great game for summer camp, terrible game for a wedding.
    PrettyGirlLostSTARMOON44
  • PrettyGirlLostPrettyGirlLost A Land Filled with Unicorns and Cat Hair member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    drid said:
    I'm going to have a bit of a different opinion here, I was at a wedding that was a buffet dinner this past summer and they made it a contest for which tables were released. For example, the MC said... the first table that can show me a penny gets to go next, etc. with different things or random objects. It was kind of fun and made the wait a little more entertaining. ... They were some good MC's though so I think that made a difference. 

    Edit: Spelling and I said bit like 5 times
    Norfolk & Weigh.

    I enjoy food, especially at weddings.  If someone tried to make me play and win a game before I could get my dinner, there's a high probability that person would end up with a mic up their ass.

    But seriously, I'd just walk over to the buffet line like an adult and completely ignore the MC.

    "Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."


    cowgirl8238[Deleted User]thisismynickname2
  • That's why I love this site! Different strokes for different folks, I found it entertaining, maybe because I didn't know anyone, who knows. Just an idea to add to the list!

    For what it's worth, I'm avoiding the whole situation entirely and paying the few extra bucks for a plated meal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MobKaz
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2016
    drid said:
    That's why I love this site! Different strokes for different folks, I found it entertaining, maybe because I didn't know anyone, who knows. Just an idea to add to the list!

    For what it's worth, I'm avoiding the whole situation entirely and paying the few extra bucks for a plated meal. 
    I would be even more mortified by this "game" if I didn't know anyone. Yikes!
  • adk19 said:
    drid said:
    I'm going to have a bit of a different opinion here, I was at a wedding that was a buffet dinner this past summer and they made it a contest for which tables were released. For example, the MC said... the first table that can show me a penny gets to go next, etc. with different things or random objects. It was kind of fun and made the wait a little more entertaining. ... They were some good MC's though so I think that made a difference. 

    Edit: Spelling and I said bit like 5 times
    I'm glad you had fun but I would not want to be digging in my purse for change or other random objects before eating. Call me a party pooper but I'm totally happy just chatting until it's my turn to go up to the buffet and would not appreciate having to play some silly game.

    I'm also in the camp that says not to play table songs to release them. I'd probably miss the song and I think it'd be really hard to time.
    Ditto.  Great game for summer camp, terrible game for a wedding.
    It reminds me of every Bar and Bat Mitzvah I've ever been to. As an adult unless I'm on Let's Make A Deal I'm not playing party games. Are they also going to play Coke and Pepsi? I had a blast doing that as a 12 year old but I'm freaking old now, ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Jen4948 said:
    MobKaz said:
    Jen4948 said:
    As a guest I would not be willing to be expected to sing before being "released" to get my supper. Just have a staff member quietly go to each table to let everyone know they can get on the buffet line.  Don't be "cute" about it.
    No one is being asked to "sing for their supper".   "When the song that's on your table is played, you get in line".
    The point is I wouldn't try to come up with some cutesy " release" scheme.  I might not know the song or other "signal" to listen for.  I think it makes sense to just be straightforward about releasing tables, even if that means calling them by number or having a staffer discreetly visit each table.
    The point is, you totally misread the post and made some weird assumption.

    Instead of doubling down, you should have said mea culpa, I misread, but I wouldn't like listening for the song either. 
    What the fuck ever.  In either case, this game is a bad idea.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Viczaesar said:
    And as always, Jen#s is unwilling or unable to admit when she makes a mistake.
    You never do either.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    MobKaz said:
    Jen4948 said:
    As a guest I would not be willing to be expected to sing before being "released" to get my supper. Just have a staff member quietly go to each table to let everyone know they can get on the buffet line.  Don't be "cute" about it.
    No one is being asked to "sing for their supper".   "When the song that's on your table is played, you get in line".
    The point is I wouldn't try to come up with some cutesy " release" scheme.  I might not know the song or other "signal" to listen for.  I think it makes sense to just be straightforward about releasing tables, even if that means calling them by number or having a staffer discreetly visit each table.
    The point is, you totally misread the post and made some weird assumption.

    Instead of doubling down, you should have said mea culpa, I misread, but I wouldn't like listening for the song either. 
    What the fuck ever.  In either case, this game is a bad idea.
    Ok then. 
  • Am I witnessing the "I am not doing the right thing because no one else does" response?  I'm pretty sure we squashed that as a possible defense with cash bars.   
    MyNameIsNotMobKazViczaesar
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Whether the songs are played or sung, I would do something different.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Whether the songs are played or sung, I would do something different.
    That's a  Donald Trump admittance.   There isn't one there.

    It's not fun to have to post and say, "Whoopsie doopsie poopsie.   Scratch that.   I mean X,"   but part of being into proper etiquette  / doing the right thing is doing the right thing and admitting when you misspoke.
    AddieCakeMyNameIsNotInLoveInQueens
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    edited February 2016
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Whether the songs are played or sung, I would do something different.
    That's a  Donald Trump admittance.   There isn't one there.

    It's not fun to have to post and say, "Whoopsie doopsie poopsie.   Scratch that.   I mean X,"   but part of being into proper etiquette  / doing the right thing is doing the right thing and admitting when you misspoke.
    I misspoke.
    AddieCake
  • Thanks Jen!  
  • ViczaesarViczaesar Central Coast, CA member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Jen4948 said:
    Viczaesar said:
    And as always, Jen#s is unwilling or unable to admit when she makes a mistake.
    You never do either.
    Incorrect, but thank you for demonstrating the other common reaction from you to being called out - the 'I'm rubber and you're glue' defense.



    MobKaz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards