Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding in a hospital chapel?

Here is the background: thankfully there is no one ill in our families. I am catholic but do not want to have my wedding in a very ornate catholic church (i'd love to have it outside but that won't fly with my mom and the church). I've found a local chapel in a Catholic hospital that is beautiful. It's simple and small. What are your thoughts of having a wedding in the hospital chapel? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding in a hospital chapel?

• [QUOTE]Here is the background: thankfully there is no one ill in our families. I am catholic but do not want to have my wedding in a very ornate catholic church (i'd love to have it outside but that won't fly with my mom and the church). I've found a local chapel in a Catholic hospital that is beautiful. It's simple and small. What are your thoughts of having a wedding in the hospital chapel? Thanks! [/QUOTE]

Have you discussed it with the hospital?  I would think that it could be a problem because the chapel is there for families of patients and they will have first priority for using the chapel.  Not to mention, the last thing a busy hospital staff needs is 50+guests clogging up the halls.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I've contact the hospital to discuss this. I understand that it might not be a possibility but wanted to see what other brides thought about it as a venue. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hosptials can freak a lot of people out.  People go there when they're sick; people die there. Yes, celebrations happen there as well when new babies are born but you would really have to be open to the idea that some people might not be comfortable with it.  What if some of your local guests have been to that very chapel to pray for a relative who died in that hospital?  Sometimes, a hospital chapel can be almost the equivalent of a funeral home chapel.

• I'm not sure I could convince my husband to attend a wedding at a hospital chapel unless it was under the sort of dire circumstances in which a hospital wedding usually occurs.  He hates doctors and hospitals, nothing anyone can say or do will ever change that.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I think it is really inappropriate to have your ceremony in a hospital chapel just because you like the way it looks.  People are sick and dying and you want to turn it into your ceremony?  Not only do hospitals freak a lot out but it also reminds them of when they've had to deal with illness and death in their lives which, IMO, shouldn't be the feeling you want your guests to have when coming to witness your marriage.

IMO, the religious aspect of your ceremony should be more important than the location (and how that location looks). 
  • The idea just seems odd to me. And I agree with the other person who said that people go to hospitals when they are sick and possibly dying. I'm not sure that a hospital creates the happy feeling you want for a wedding.

Why won't your mom consider an outside ceremony?
  • I've seen weddings in hospital chapels.  Not as a guest, but FI is in med school and the chapel is close to the library, and I've seen the bridal party walking down the hall, etc.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • Thanks. I'm thinking that this isn't a good idea given the feedback. Back to the drawing board for venues. Thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think with the amount of time I've spent in hospitals as a patient...to say a hospital is just about dying? hmm...but anyway.

I would have no problem with it, its not like your hanging out in someones room! your in the chapel for goodness sake! have a beautiful wedding at whatever chapel you pick and make it your own!
  • I think it's inappropriate, personally.  The chapel needs to be free for families.  Can you imagine some panic-stricken parent, whose child is in surgery, not being able to come in to pray because there's a wedding going on?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-hospital-chapel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5171159c-ad6b-4679-9646-99ad0b07438fPost:478e1d0f-7a9d-4121-8625-4c3ecd372494">Re: Wedding in a hospital chapel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Jenn. I figured there have to be occasions in which it can happen and be positive.  I can understand the feeling about people having weird associations with hospitals (mainly reason I posed this question). As for the comments about choosing a church based on it being pretty, many of the catholic churches have large crosses with jesus dying on it that isn't exactly an image that is that positive either (when we're thinking about negative images of hospital) and is something I'd like to avoid.  Catholic weddings must be in a church in order to be recognized by the Church. <u><strong>Hence, why my mom won't approve for it to be outdoors and why I'm struggling with finding a church I'm comfortable having it in. </strong></u>
    Posted by jdanger[/QUOTE]

If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to say to your mom "Mom, this is what Johnny and I want for our wedding.  We know you may be disappointed, but we hope that you will come to understand and support us, because this is what we're doing."
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-hospital-chapel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5171159c-ad6b-4679-9646-99ad0b07438fPost:db89c634-0f64-4c79-8016-18a1ecd5e1fa">Re: Wedding in a hospital chapel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think with the amount of time I've spent in hospitals as a patient...to say a hospital is just about dying? hmm...but anyway.
    Posted by cabledawg09[/QUOTE]

I don't see where anyone said this.

• Glad you decided to keep rethinking.  I agree with the PPs...great things can happen in hospitals: new life, miracles, but considering everything else I'd have a hard time getting all dressed up and walking into a hospital to go celebrate.

I think you need to have a heart to heart with your mother about the Catholic church situation in general.  I'm Catholic myself and plan on getting married in the church but it's what I want...not my mother.  I could be wrong but you don't seem attached to the church and you certainly don't seem to like the idea of a Catholic wedding.  Plus, if you got married in a church, hospital chapel or otherwise, you might have that "negative" image of Jesus dying on the cross overlooking you...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-hospital-chapel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5171159c-ad6b-4679-9646-99ad0b07438fPost:b0456a96-9138-487e-8500-069ff52d38cc">Re: Wedding in a hospital chapel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hosptials can freak a lot of people out.  People go there when they're sick; people die there. Yes, celebrations happen there as well when new babies are born but you would really have to be open to the idea that some people might not be comfortable with it.  What if some of your local guests have been to that very chapel to pray for a relative who died in that hospital?  Sometimes, a hospital chapel can be almost the equivalent of a funeral home chapel.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Yea, I do applaud you thinking outside the box...but I'm afraid your guests wouldn't dig this.  You may not be so cool with it either if it were reality.  Right now it's just a thought...but consider how you'll feel pulling up to the hospital to get married.  Not a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards