Chit Chat
Options

Updates on my FH

Re: Updates on my FH

• Options
    Thank you for your updates. I am so glad to see your positivity throughout this whole process. You are such a great partner for your FH.

• Options
    You and your FI are 2 very strong people! Your dark humor comment made me laugh out loud. Thanks for providing us with updates! I have been thinking about you and praying for you every day.

• Options
    Sending you both many many many hugs and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • Options
    You're effing amazing!  I'm glad we can be a place for you to vent. It's hard to be the loved one and it's important for you to have a safe place too. Thanks for the updates, and I'm glad his BP is up; that's huge. 

Your socks story made me laugh. I had a professor in college with one leg and on the first day of class he draws a stick figure with one leg on the board and asks his students to guess how the stick figure isn't him (wrong missing leg). Of course no one dares guess but it sets the tone for who he is. 
  • Options
    I'm glad you found things to laugh about!

Be kind to him regarding the scrotal swelling- that hurts like a b**** (so many males have told me, and I have unfortunately caused discomfort to trying to move them- the patient, not just the balls! :wink: ).

I am glad to hear wedding plans are still going well :).

• Options
    Holy crap, this is a lot to process. I have to say, your attitude completely blows me away. I hope if something like this happened to me, I would have the strength to handle it like you have.

You will be in my thoughts.
  • Options
    @spockforprez you're handling the situation very well! and yes its okay if a break down occurs, you need to let it out! this is a tough situation but im happy to see you both are in great spirits. I want to share my story, my uncle (who is only 3 years older than me) got cancer at 16, and had to have his left leg amputated very high up above the knee. More close to the hip actually, yes finding a prosthetic is hard but not impossible. the main concern when it comes to the prosthetic is how comfortable it is, since it is so high up. point being, he still may be able to find a prosthetic. keep your eyes and ears open for the options he has! 
  • Options
    Glad to hear he's doing better and able to communicate! Also thrilled that you're doing well now, too!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Yeah I've heard the VA tornadoes are bad.   Stay safe! 
  • Options
    You are allowed to be a mess. The strength will come, you will never fail you FH as long as you love him they way you do. It'll be bumpy atbfirst, trying to,figure out what your roles,are now, but you'll find a routine. 

Just go one day at a time, sure this woman may have family who will break laws to,protect her, or she will be an upstanding citizen who is devastated at what she did....that won't be determined until later.

You may want to look into a support group for yourself as well as FH. You will need people to talk to as well, you have to take if him, and you have to take care of you. 

• Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    You are absolutely allowed to be scared, and overwhelmed and emotional.  Is there a friend you can call to stay with you? Maybe having someone else in the house will help. 

• Options
    You are doing so well! It is perfectly normal and HEALTHY to be a mess. You can't keep it all inside. I'm glad you have this outlet to journal - so important for you. It sounds like you and FI have your priorities right. Things will fall into place. I ditto the idea of counseling and support group for you. My prayers are still with you and FI.

• Options
    @kmmssg said it perfectly... you (and FI!) are a badass rockstar! Take the time to be a mess and process your feelings... to think like crazy or just not think at all. You are both so, so strong and while you may feel alone right now, there will come a time when you and FI can snuggle together again with your kitties and crack up at your favorite shows. It's ok to miss that right now!
  • Options
    I'm going to be the 5th (or 6th..) person to say, you are absolutely ok to be a hot mess. Sometimes I think it's easier to be a hot mess to Internet strangers than it is to your friends and family. 

1) You are not going to fail him. Read back over what you write there; there is so much love in that post. You're doing your best for him and if that's what you keep doing you're not going to fail him. Look at what you've already gotten through. You can do this, you said yourself you just do what needs to be done. That's all that's needed. 

2) It's ok to tell people, even people who are helping and supporting you that what they are saying and doing isn't actually helping and that its making you more stressed and overwhelmed. Clearly your aunts heart is in the right place, but her execution is a bit off. People don't know what to say in these situations (I wouldn't!). It's absolutely ok to tell her if something she is saying is hurting you/stressing you out more. 

3) You might have to be the brave one with the flashlight for a little while, but it won't be forever.

4) I'm sure this all seems impossible right now. But all those things you're wanting right now, that you're longing for, you will have them again. It will probably take much longer than you want. But you will hold each other, and Internet together, and sit with your cats together. 

Keep venting to us; keep getting these feelings out. We're all here for you. 
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. It is perfectly okay to be a mess! You have already shown so much strength in this situation and sometimes you need to break down and be "weak" for a minute. It's okay, breathe, cry, be mad, yell, hit a pillow, and then when you're ready, go out and face the world again.

You're doing such an amazing job and you never need to doubt yourself.

• Options
    I agree with the others.   Let yourself feel these emotions & cry it out.  From what you've said about how you're handling this, I would say you're much better than a hot mess.   You and your FH are in my daily prayers. 

• Options

On board with everyone- you can absolutely be a mess!! It's an unimaginable position to be in and you need support and a way to vent just as much as your FI. You'll each go through your own feelings about what happened. Feel free to come on here when you need to just get it all out. I know I did when I was going through my cancer stuff. Everyone was super supportive!

Continuing thoughts and prayers for you, FI, and your families.

• Options

1) You are not going to fail him. Read back over what you write there; there is so much love in that post. You're doing your best for him and if that's what you keep doing you're not going to fail him. Look at what you've already gotten through. You can do this, you said yourself you just do what needs to be done. That's all that's needed. 

Quoted for the effing truth!
  • Options
    Adding on to the PP, let yourself feel your emotions, shut down others who are being unhelpful, and take each day one at a time.  You both are in my thoughts and prayers, and I just wanted to say that you are a true inspiration.

• Options
    I don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been stated, but I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your updates and I feel the exact same way as everyone else. Take each day at a time, don't focus on bridges that aren't there yet (like what your aunt started talking about) because you've got enough to deal with right now in the moment. Focus on what's in front of you instead of the "what-ifs". 
  • Options
    Thank you for the updates.  I continue to hope for the best for you and your FI.  I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt's insensitivity.

Do whatever you need to to keep yourself going. If that means asking for help, needing to cry, shut down negative commentary like your aunt's, or whatever, do that.  As PPs say, take each day one at a time and make sure you are taking care of yourself.

You and your FI continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.  More hugs for you both.

• Options
    You're allowed to feel all those emotions.   This is a lot for you to process as it is for your FI.

Your aunt is probably having a hard time as well.   That doesn't excuse an insensitive remark but she's probably having a tough time trying to figure out how to prepare you for the unknown.   Instead when you're ready, work with that anger so you two (you and your FI) can seek legal recourse for all of this.   Yes, there's the 'blood from a stone' aspect but you won't know what you can do if you don't try.   So when the time is right, you two can figure out how to get started.

In the meantime don't forget to take care of yourself.   That might mean closing yourself off from the blue light of phones and tablets and laptops and just closing your eyes if you can manage.  

• Options
    Following on Banana's advice - people can't just hide their assets as soon as they think they are in trouble.  There is such a thing as forensic accountants and they can track that stuff like a bloodhound.  One of the Lieutenants in my office has a Master's in this.  Unfortunately, no one has hired him in his field because he is an egotistical sexist maniacal jerk, but I digress.  
  • Options
    Consider asking the hospital social worker about resources for you. When my uncle was in a horrible accident, my aunt was able to get some time with a counsellor and she said it was the most helpful thing she did for herself. She really liked being able to say anything and everything on her mind to a non-judgemental stranger. Keeping you in my thoughts. I hope there are positives each and every day. Dark humour can be great. Whatever you need to think, think it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards