Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bad advice columns: why we have an etiquette board

Courtesy of my local paper. The author of this column is also the "scene" columnist, covering all the charity balls and fancy parties. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/ask-natalie/2016/03/01/Should-wedding-guests-bring-gifts/stories/201603010007#

Re: Bad advice columns: why we have an etiquette board

• Options
    Courtesy of my local paper. The author of this column is also the "scene" columnist, covering all the charity balls and fancy parties. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/ask-natalie/2016/03/01/Should-wedding-guests-bring-gifts/stories/201603010007#

Wow, I can't believe what I just read. So much entitlement.
  • Options
    "I am still in shock at the crassness of people these days." 

Yeah, you and me both, love.

• Options
    If I didn't know better, I'd think this was satire. 

Yes, please do pick up a copy of Emily Post's "Etiquette," and read it yourself!!
  • Options

WTF- give them a physical present and money just in case your first present sucks

"Not only should guests bring gifts to the wedding, but they also should bring a card with a monetary gift"

• Options
    Ugh, that letter sucks so hard.

"I take it quite personally that one would show up and partake of a free bar and fabulous meal without even a courtesy acknowledgement."

Maybe her (?) friends should take it personally that she invited them--you know, as her guests--only with the expectation that her kid would get something in return.  That's not hospitality, that's a business transaction.

The columnist is worse:

"Did you put the gift registry on the wedding invite? That is a good way to ensure that people know where you are registered so they can get the appropriate gift for the bride and groom. Having assumed you did so, I can’t imagine why anyone would show up without a present."

httpreplygifneti600gif

• Options
    Wait wait wait... I read this early this morning and had to stop because it was too nauseating first thing in the morning. I just re-read it, and is she ACTUALLY suggesting that guests must not only bring a gift, but also a card filled with MONEY too?

This has to be a joke... please.
  • Options
    I am not sure who is worse, the meddling mother or the so called advice columnist.
  • Options
    And she said to put the registry on the invitation itself. No. Just no no no no no.
  • Options
    And she said to put the registry on the invitation itself. No. Just no no no no no.
    But if you don't put it in everyone's face where you're registered, how are they supposed to pay you back for all the eating and drinking you do at their party???  I mean, aren't weddings supposed to be tit for tat?  I feed you, you pay me appropriately.  Duh!
  • Options
    I think the advice columnist should have gone the whole way with her line of thinking and not just advised that they put the registry information on the invitation, but suggested that they put a minimum amount of gift on the invitation as the guest's admission to the wedding.
  • Options
    geebee908 said:
    I think the advice columnist should have gone the whole way with her line of thinking and not just advised that they put the registry information on the invitation, but suggested that they put a minimum amount of gift on the invitation as the guest's admission to the wedding.
    LOL. A wedding is not a frat party where you pay $5 for your red solo cup and unlimited beer. 
    That's what I think people really mean when they assume gifts are required to partake in the festivities. 

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016

Just when I thought the original letter writer was bad enough, the advice columnist "calls the bet and raises".  (((Shudder)))

I admit, I'd feel like a jerk going to a wedding without some type of gift and a card, whether monetary or otherwise.  But that's me.  I wouldn't side-eye anyone else about a gift, whether I was the bride or not.  However, and I know it probably isn't the right thing to say, but I would side-eye a guest who doesn't at least bring (or mail) a card for a wedding.  Just a card, it doesn't need to have money in it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Just when I thought the original letter writer was bad enough, the advice columnist "calls the bet and raises".  (((Shudder)))

I admit, I'd feel like a jerk going to a wedding without some type of gift and a card, whether monetary or otherwise.  But that's me.  I wouldn't side-eye anyone else about a gift, whether I was the bride or not.  However, and I know it probably isn't the right thing to say, but I would side-eye a guest who doesn't at least bring (or mail) a card for a wedding.  Just a card, it doesn't need to have money in it.

I don't do cards.  Unless I'm bringing a card as the method to gift a check, I just don't do cards.  If a couple has a registry, I usually ship a gift to their home prior to the wedding.  On the rare occasion that I have a card without a check, I usually forget to put it in the cardbox or birdcage.  It sits in my coat pocket or purse until I get home and slap myself for forgetting it.  So, I've learned that about myself and stopped bothering with buying cards if I've already sent a gift.  Besides, have you seen the price of cards nowadays?  I already bought you a nice gift!  But I still have to spend $4.95 on a piece of paper with a saccharine sentiment that you're going to read once, smile, and throw away?  Nope.  I don't do cards.
  • Options
    Oh gosh. This is just eye-widening horrible. I think this (and I'm sure hundreds of other columns and websites) are the reason people are so confused. I appreciate that this site has a backbone and really sticks it to etiquette.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

I don't do cards.  Unless I'm bringing a card as the method to gift a check, I just don't do cards.  If a couple has a registry, I usually ship a gift to their home prior to the wedding.  On the rare occasion that I have a card without a check, I usually forget to put it in the cardbox or birdcage.  It sits in my coat pocket or purse until I get home and slap myself for forgetting it.  So, I've learned that about myself and stopped bothering with buying cards if I've already sent a gift.  Besides, have you seen the price of cards nowadays?  I already bought you a nice gift!  But I still have to spend $4.95 on a piece of paper with a saccharine sentiment that you're going to read once, smile, and throw away?  Nope.  I don't do cards.

I could see that.  I guess I should clarify further to say a guest bringing nothing...not even a card.  I fully admit being in the etiquette wrong on that.  It is just one of those rare etiquette times where, although I understand a guest is not required to bring anything, it doesn't sit well with me if they bring/mail nothing.  It's not even a major side-eye, just something I would find odd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That has to be one of the worst things I've ever read

SaveSave
  • Options
    If I didn't know better, I'd think this was satire. 

Yes, please do pick up a copy of Emily Post's "Etiquette," and read it yourself!!
    That'd be the gift I sent...

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2016

This is exactly how I feel. Personally, I would never attend a wedding without giving a gift (either box or monetary but not both!). Not my business what others do. I do think at least a card should be given though - just to send best wishes. It doesn't have to be an expensive card ('cause some are costly) but a couple of dollars shouldn't break the bank. @adk19, I just read your response to short+sassy. I was also talking about a card when no gift is given at all. If a gift has been sent previously, no card necessary - I know it is never necessary.  

ETA:explanation 'cause I didn't read everything.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Ugh.....

• Options

"We painstakingly went over the guest list many, many times to assure that we kept to our budget and yet did not leave out anyone near and dear to our hearts that we wanted to share the day with."

Translation: We made a list of people who we thought would come through with the best presents.

• Options
    ....wow.
  • Options
    Have you read the comment section though? I've just started but it gives me hope for humanity.
  • Options
    Yikes. It is astonishing that someone employs "Natalie" as an advice columnist. 

Just last night a friend of mine complained about people who came to her wedding and brought a plus one and bought a "cheap gift". I told her we had many friends who got us nothing and that gifts are not required. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Have you read the comment section though? I've just started but it gives me hope for humanity.
    I did- it was very refreshing. 98% of the commenters have their heads on straight.

I can't get over the crass of calling up guests to ask where their gift is.
  • Options
    And here is the columnist's response to criticism. I don't believe the Post institute actually said that...

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/ask-natalie/2016/03/08/Ask-Natalie-More-wedding-dilemmas/stories/201603080011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards