Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Big Wedding, Elope, or Both?

My fiance and I have been going back and forth with this, and he says he's happy with whatever I'd like to do. I can't decide between a big wedding or eloping. Any wedding would be big do to our family sizes, so a small one isn't optional. I love both- the close intimate aspect of eloping, and the ability to share my love publicly with my family. I'm just afraid of choosing one and regretting it- eloping and regretting missing out on the party, the dress, the celebration, etc., or having the big wedding and wishing for the stress-free intimacy (and privacy) of an elopement. I've also considered eloping, and having a big "wedding" (for lack of a better word) later, but I don't know if anyone would take it seriously or even come. I wouldn't want them to think it was a gift-grab. I would like the special, private ceremony with my partner, but I'd also love to say my vows in front of my loved ones. I really just don't know what to do.

Re: Big Wedding, Elope, or Both?

• Options
    My fiance and I have been going back and forth with this, and he says he's happy with whatever I'd like to do. I can't decide between a big wedding or eloping. Any wedding would be big do to our family sizes, so a small one isn't optional. I love both- the close intimate aspect of eloping, and the ability to share my love publicly with my family. I'm just afraid of choosing one and regretting it- eloping and regretting missing out on the party, the dress, the celebration, etc., or having the big wedding and wishing for the stress-free intimacy (and privacy) of an elopement. I've also considered eloping, and having a big "wedding" (for lack of a better word) later, but I don't know if anyone would take it seriously or even come. I wouldn't want them to think it was a gift-grab. I would like the special, private ceremony with my partner, but I'd also love to say my vows in front of my loved ones. I really just don't know what to do.

What about a private, romantic moment of affirmation between of the two of you before a bigger ceremony? Or, in the case of my fiance and myself, we're scheduling about 15-20 minutes of alone time right after the ceremony (during cocktail hour) to just be together and take it in together - a "Yichud" in his Jewish tradition. Can you schedule something like that?

Some of the ladies on these boards have done something like this and may be able to tell you more about it.
  • Options
    You definitely can't do both.  You need to decide what means the most to you--having people there with you, or having a private and intimate marriage.  Finances might also be a big deciding factor.  

• Options
    Eloping and big weddings are mutually exclusive, so you need to pick one or the other.
  • Options
    I think I've heard more brides wish they had kept things smaller. I'd personally look for something in the middle and really think about a small wedding. It is absolutely possible to cut a huge list of family/friends. No one (not even your parents!) are entitled to an invitation to your wedding. Most adults understand that big weddings are expensive and going the route of a smaller wedding is fine. Anyone who is upset can have their moment and then you can bean dip.
  • Options
    It is possible to have a small wedding, if that's really what you want to do. We had parents (which was 6 total people: my two parents and H's two parents (divorced) plus their new significant others, siblings (my 1 sister, H's 4 siblings (3 with their spouses and kids for a total of 12 more people), and H's Grandmas (only remaining grandparent). We had roughly 20 people total limiting it to Grandparents, parents, siblings and siblings families (the unmarried/unattached siblings were given plus 1's). Certainly, if you both have several siblings, it can add up, but even with H's big immediate family, we were able to keep it small. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I  suggest a compromise.  Have a wedding with immediate family only.  You can have siblings, parents and grandparents.  You get your dress and the experience.  Maybe one attendant each.  You will save a lot of money.  You can have you reception at a nice restauranr, and maybe even that first dance with an ipod.
    After your wedding, you send out marriage announcements to he rest of the family.  This does not mean that they should send gifts, but it is a more personal way of telling them that you are married than reading it on Facebook, or in the newspaper.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I  suggest a compromise.  Have a wedding with immediate family only.  You can have siblings, parents and grandparents.  You get your dress and the experience.  Maybe one attendant each.  You will save a lot of money.  You can have you reception at a nice restauranr, and maybe even that first dance with an ipod.
    After your wedding, you send out marriage announcements to he rest of the family.  This does not mean that they should send gifts, but it is a more personal way of telling them that you are married than reading it on Facebook, or in the newspaper.
    I really really like this idea.  For me, it'd be four parents plus 2 siblings and their famlies (11 people so far), plus me and FH (lucky number 13, 3 of them young children.)  Then we can each invite one or two additional couples adding up to 8 more.  We'd be right around 20-21 people if everyone showed up.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    CMGragain said:
    I really really like this idea.  For me, it'd be four parents plus 2 siblings and their famlies (11 people so far), plus me and FH (lucky number 13, 3 of them young children.)  Then we can each invite one or two additional couples adding up to 8 more.  We'd be right around 20-21 people if everyone showed up.
    This is a very nice idea.
  • Options
    this is what convinced me to have a smaller wedding - do the math on how many people you could invite and how much time you would spend talking to each one. 

For example, 4 hours of socializing divided by 250 guests, thats less than 1 minute to talk to each person! if you cut that down to 25 people than that is almost 10 minutes per person. Since you obviously need to make the rounds and greet all of your guests anyway, would you rather have time to relax and dance and have actual conversations, or just be saying "hi thank you for coming" all night long? 

just to clarify i'm not dissing anyone who wants a big wedding, you do you! Just my personal thought process that made me want a smaller guest list.
  • Options
    Definitely agree with @sal2015 and @cmgragain. Just because you may have 75 aunts/ uncles/ cousins does not mean they all must be invited. We had parents, grandparents, my brother's family, and 2 friends each (with spouses) for total of 22 people. It was so perfect, best of both worlds!

• Options
    scribe95 said:
    I had a huge family but there is a way to have a small wedding. Parents, siblings, a select few best friends. That's it. If you elope a lot of people might be hurt. This way at least it's a smaller number.
    In my family, eloping would be totally acceptable. People would be bummed they weren't there to see it, but their feelings likely wouldn't be hurt and they'd be very little drama. A small wedding, on the other hand? You may have just started a new world war. Hurt feelings all over the place at where the lines are drawn. There was no way for me to have a small wedding without seriously damaging relationships. It shouldn't be this way, but it was. I could have easily eloped, however, without concern over damaging relationships. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards