Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

No bouts for the GMs?

I'm planning on making a bout for FI, and one for the two dads and one grandfather, but I haven't decided if I'll make one for the GMs yet. They are all ambivalent, as is FI. They're going without suit jackets, also, as it is a summer wedding. Thoughts? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: No bouts for the GMs?

• Options

Might be a bit different, but I don't think it is a requirement. I believe that bouts stay on jackets so if not wearing jackets, would probably look fine. Also, one less DIY!

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If the men are not wearing jackets, no boutonnieres. Bouts are meant to be worn on a lapel.
  • Options
    Bouts are for jackets.  I would suggest that the men should wear a linen sports jacket.  Shirtsleeves are very casual for a wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I had H pick if he wanted them or not, they are the ones that are wearing them and it was one thing out of my hands for that day. He didn't want them and they wore a full tux so we didn't do them. I would just ask him. I'm a little confused as well to where they would go if they aren't wearing a jacket?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had H pick if he wanted them or not, they are the ones that are wearing them and it was one thing out of my hands for that day. He didn't want them and they wore a full tux so we didn't do them. I would just ask him. I'm a little confused as well to where they would go if they aren't wearing a jacket?
    My FI has shown great deference in all things wedding-related. He probably wouldn't care if he himself had a bout or not, but I'm giving him one since he's the groom and I think he should have one. 

The one thing he's taken a stance on is defending the groomsmen's antipathy towards wearing full suits. I know it may offend some traditional sensibilities, but we've decided to let the groomsmen wear what they are most comfortable in and can easily afford. The look we're going for is something like the one in the photo below (groom in suit, groomsmen in suspenders): 

I keep seeing bouts on the GMs in photos like these (thanks, Pinterest) but had a feeling that it wasn't quite right without a suit jacket. It does help identify them as groomsmen, though. I really wasn't sure and thought it best to consult TK. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Cute inspiration and Pinterest is like crack - I really need to stop with my Pinteresting!.

I think most people would recognize the guys as being part of the wedding party if they are wearing suspenders. At least in my crowd, I only know one guy who wears them. I think they would stand out in most crowds. I have seen this more casual approach and it looks great when other elements are also casual. I did go to one wedding where I think the bride and groom had very different visions. It looked like two different weddings were mashed together. Certainly odd. It sounds like you and your FI are on the same page so would probably look just lovely.

• Options
    Why exactly do you need to identify them as groomsmen? I mean, I assume the wedding party knows who they are, even if they're in their own regular clothes, right? Any decent wedding planner/coordinator/photographer should also be able to learn who a few important people are even if there was no wardrobe coordination at all, if that's the concern.

As for the guests...they'll be able to identify them because they'll be walking down the aisle and standing at the front. Not that your guests really care all that much about identifying them anyway, but that's how they'll be able to tell. After the ceremony is over, I can't fathom a single reason why a guest would want or need to know who was or was not a member of the bridal party. 
  • Options
    I really dislike the groomsmen in suspenders with no jacket.  It is like showing your underwear.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'm not a fan of bouts and no jackets.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards