Chit Chat
Options

Spock and her H

Okay, 11 pages is a little crazy for my other thread so per @adk19's advice, here is a fresh one. Go to page 10 of the old thread to see some wedding photos!

I do have some footage from one of the local broadcasts. I don't feel comfortable posting it out in public because it names the hospital where my H is, but if you're a TK reg and we've interacted before, message me and I will be more than happy to send it along! You get to hear some from my H, me, and see a bit of footage from our ceremony. 

While it's very bittersweet to be alone on my wedding night, overall today was great. The ceremony, although a blur, was beautiful and moving, and our reception went smoothly! The nurses contacted the hospital administration and they bumped us up to a MUCH nicer lounge room on the "politicians and rich people stay here" wing of his floor for the reception. The food was nice, we did cake and shared a first drink, etc. H was in good spirits and not much pain, and really enjoyed himself!

The only two hiccups were parking and my MIL. Parking is always kind of nuts at the hospital but today was a special kind of awful. I was an hour late to the ceremony!!!!! UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt terrible but there was literally nothing we could do. Mom said, while we were waiting, she should have hired a car to drop us off and pick us up later. Hindsight is a bitch, to mix a couple cliches! 

My MIL acted like a brat all day. A few days ago she tried to convince us to postpone until we could have it outside at the nursing home (that was her excuse anyway) and H called her and set her straight. Today, she didn't crack a smile a single time. Sat in the corner at the reception and didn't talk to anyone. Didn't accept a champagne flute to toast, wouldn't eat cake, didn't take a single picture of H all day. Whatever, lady. My H said FUCK HER! later on in the hospital room. lol. If you can't be happy for your son regardless of your (apparent) feelings toward me, that's your problem.

We had a bit of sadness after it was all said and done. The news teams were a huge surprise to us, the hospital called them. They asked H a bunch of questions about the crash that upset him. For example (I haven't mentioned this yet by the way, I only found out about a week or so ago), he didn't know that his leg was amputated by the car that hit him, not the hospital. So that was a big shock. I went out to get us some dinner and when I got back, he was crying. I asked why and he said it was kind of hitting him how close he came to dying and it made him so sad to think of that. Poor, poor baby. I hugged him tight as best I could and told him to look at his wedding ring and remember that he's here and he has me and we can get through anything!

We're gonna need like a two week wedding "night" when this is over haha. ;) 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Spock and her H

• Options
    This is so sweet! I am absolutely thrilled for you!
    We don't interact much, but I would love to hear the cast!

Why does MIL have issues ? Like, were these there prior, or is it just the situation that has her angsty ? One would think she would be so appreciative that she has you to be her sons rock. 

Again, so happy for you! EEK!

• Options
    This is so sweet! I am absolutely thrilled for you!
    We don't interact much, but I would love to hear the cast!

Why does MIL have issues ? Like, were these there prior, or is it just the situation that has her angsty ? One would think she would be so appreciative that she has you to be her sons rock. 

Again, so happy for you! EEK!
    Okay, message incoming with the link!!! :) Re: the bolded, I don't know. H said it's not me specifically, she would be like that about anyone. But she's very hot and cold. I've posted about my weird relationship with her before, she's just sort of a prickly personality one minute and then warm and funny the next.

We started talking about getting married in the hospital like three weeks ago and she seemed on board then. She did make a few comments over the last week... one was like she didn't know when it was and when I told her we'd been planning on March 17th and I was sure that I'd told her, she said, "No, you mentioned it as a possibility." Okayyyy, we've been planning non-stop for a week, I think you heard what you wanted to hear, I guess? Then I think this past Monday I told her she was more than welcome to invite some of my H's family if they wanted to come and she made a snide comment about it being on a weekday, but I didn't read much into that, because yeah, it does suck that more people couldn't make it.

It wasn't until she texted me, "Any chance you guys would hold off on the wedding until he gets moved down here?" (referring to the city where we live instead of the one where he's hospitalized) that I really picked up on her not being thrilled about our plans. But I still thought she'd enjoy the day, I guess! Oh well. It's just bizarre. He's not even a mama's boy! He's 35 and completely independent, has been for years. She is not involved in his decisions or day-to-day life, at all, in any way. So I have no fucking clue why she's acting like this LOL. We have been living together almost three years! We were getting married two months from now anyway. I don't know what her deal is. 
  • Options

I'm glad that things (mostly) went off without a hitch. Sorry about the parking (seems like all hospitals have crap parking) and that your MIL can't be happy she is gaining a daughter and her son is alive and moving forward with recovery. That is on her.

We don't interact much, but I would thoroughly enjoy a good news piece about an internet friend if you feel like sending me the link.

• Options
    @holyguacamole79  You have been so wonderful and kind with your comments. It has really meant a lot! We did use traditional vows in the ceremony today and I'm so glad because they really are truly meaningful in a transcendent sort of way!
  • Options
    ernursej said:

I'm glad that things (mostly) went off without a hitch. Sorry about the parking (seems like all hospitals have crap parking) and that your MIL can't be happy she is gaining a daughter and her son is alive and moving forward with recovery. That is on her.

We don't interact much, but I would thoroughly enjoy a good news piece about an internet friend if you feel like sending me the link.

Yes of course!

And just as a general FYI, by "interact" I just mean people who comment on posts pretty regularly. Like I would recognize your SN. That's all! :) 
  • Options
    I'm very sorry about your H's shocking discovery about his leg and your MIL's attitude, but congratulations and best wishes!
  • Options
    Awwwww Spock!!! THat was sssoooo beautiful! The news crew had a lot of great things to say! And you looked stunning! So many exclamation points!!!

• Options
    You looked beautiful and radiant and your DH looked handsome and completely twitterpated.

• Options
    Can't believe your MIL acted like such an arse. You'd think after everything she'd have learned to appreciate the here and now and not be all bent out of shape about whatever. At least your H (eek!) didn't indulge her. I'm glad your wedding was amazing (despite the couple hiccups), may not be what you dreamt of but the end result is the only thing that matters in the end  :) and you guys looked great - flower crown envy here!

I'd love to see the footage! 

• Options
    Congratulations! I'm going to go look at the other thread now. I would also love to see the cast. I'm sorry about your MIL. The only thing I can say (as the mother of three adult children) is that she is going through a bad time too. I can imagine how I would be if one of my kids were going through all of this. She has been his caregiver since he was born and now she may be having a hard time realizing she can't take care of him anymore. Now if she is being disrespectful of you and H that is another thing. She should be happy your H has found such a wonderful, loving and supportive life partner. 
  • Options
    Just looked at the pictures. They are great! You are beautiful - love the flowers, dress and your Claddagh e ring!! H is very handsome. So happy for you both.
  • Options
    Congratulations again! The photos are truly beautiful.... It's shocking to me that your MIL would act the way she's acting after all you guys have been through... If I were her I would feel so grateful that my son found such a strong and supportive partner, and I would be happy
    just to be at his wedding considering the circumstances. I'm glad you guys were able to have a memorable day. I'd also like to see the news footage, if possible!
  • Options
    Your pics on the other post made me smile first thing in the morning!!  I've been waiting on those :)  congratulations to you both!
  • Options
    I treared up seeing your pictures and hearing about your day. I'm sure you're tired of hearing this but you two really are amazing. You can just tell the love you two have for one another is profound. 

Oh and your MIL can suck it if she can't see that. 
  • Options
    Yay! congratulations!

• Options
    Yay!!! You guys look beautiful! And your picture really emulates what this marriage stuff is really all about. Congratulations to you both - I am so very happy for you.
  • Options
    Congratulations!  You both looked gorgeous and so happy.  If you're interested in sharing I'd love a PM of the details.

Maybe the hot and cold thing is just how MIL is.   If she is fine with you as a DIL then maybe she's upset at reality?   I have to imagine that as a mother I would want my son to be happy and coming to terms with my child's future can be a hard task.   That in no way excuses her behavior, but I just wonder how your MIL may be dealing with all of this.
  • Options
    I loved the pictures and showed them to my FH too cause I'd been telling him about your story. I'm so happy the day went well for you both for the most part.

You both looked so happy and I loved your hair and flower crown!
  • Options
    I would love to see the video footage!

I am so happy for you guys. You are truly the prime example of love and commitment. I am keeping you guys in my prayers and I always will. Your story has touched me deeply.

• Options
    KatWAG said:

Congrats on your wedding! The flower crown is amazing!

But I am very curious about how the hospital called the news stations. I am not a lawyer but that seems like a HUGE violation of HIPAA.

And while I think your MIL behaved poorly, I can understand why she would want her son to be out of the hospital and a bit more independent before the ceremony.

And fyi, not to sound all internet creepy but with all the info you have given the news article (and your GFM page) are really easy to find.

Thanks! The nurse manager called and asked me about a hospital publicity photo and I said yes, assuming it was for their website. I had absolutely no idea the news stations were called until we got out of the elevator with cameras in our faces. My mom's friend set up the GFM page; I wasn't involved at all and never planned to share that with anyone on TK or any other website. I planned a quiet wedding for 12 people in the hospital, and what I got was a circus. I'm actually upset over some of the coverage for sharing details about the crash that we weren't ready to have out there and I'm nervous about how it will affect our legal proceedings. Believe me, I did not (nor did anyone in my family) call the news. 

This isn't an elaborate scheme to get money from the Internet, though I understand why you're (and others may be) suspicious. I found TK to be the best place for me to journal out my thoughts but perhaps I should have kept things closer to my chest. 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Congratulations! Your story is so touching and I think of and pray for you and your H daily. I'm sorry for the little hiccups that happened on your day but I'm glad that at the end of it all you still got to be married to your best friend!

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    KatWAG said:

But I am very curious about how the hospital called the news stations. I am not a lawyer but that seems like a HUGE violation of HIPAA.

And while I think your MIL behaved poorly, I can understand why she would want her son to be out of the hospital and a bit more independent before the ceremony.

And fyi, not to sound all internet creepy but with all the info you have given the news article (and your GFM page) are really easy to find.

Thanks! The nurse manager called and asked me about a hospital publicity photo and I said yes, assuming it was for their website. I had absolutely no idea the news stations were called until we got out of the elevator with cameras in our faces. My mom's friend set up the GFM page; I wasn't involved at all and never planned to share that with anyone on TK or any other website. I planned a quiet wedding for 12 people in the hospital, and what I got was a circus. I'm actually upset over some of the coverage for sharing details about the crash that we weren't ready to have out there and I'm nervous about how it will affect our legal proceedings. Believe me, I did not (nor did anyone in my family) call the news. 

This isn't an elaborate scheme to get money from the Internet, though I understand why you're (and others may be) suspicious. I found TK to be the best place for me to journal out my thoughts but perhaps I should have kept things closer to my chest. 

If you really wanted to keep the day private/ small why would you give the hospital permission to publicize your story? Whether on the hospital webpage or to a bigger audience.

I don't think this is some scheme for money but if you really didn't want a GFM (or think its appropriate) then why not ask for it to be shut down?

ETA: the hospital is no allowed to share ANY details about its patients without express permission (thus HIPAA) so someone gave permission. Otherwise the hospital would open itself up for a lawsuit.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

If you really wanted to keep the day private/ small why would you give the hospital permission to publicize your story? Whether on the hospital webpage or to a bigger audience.

I don't think this is some scheme for money but if you really didn't want a GFM (or think its appropriate) then why not ask for it to be shut down?

ETA: the hospital is no allowed to share ANY details about its patients without express permission (thus HIPAA) so someone gave permission. Otherwise the hospital would open itself up for a lawsuit.

I have to completely agree with Katwag. You opened yourself up to publicity. Why not say no to the nurse? I also feel that if you only agreed to a picture, wouldn't it still be against laws/HIPPA to then have news stations there? Why agree to let them film you? The news stations wouldn't be able to air the story without your specific consent. 

No one accused you of an elaborate scheme to get money, so I don't know why you're defensive about that. 
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS, @spockforprez !  I'm so happy for you two.  You are gorgeous - - I love the flowers in your hair, your hair style, the dress --- aah.  And you both look so happy.  You've had such a positive attitude throughout everything.  I know you and H will have a long, happy life of love together; you are both so caring and kind.   <3<3:)<3<3
  • Options
    @KatWAG , @climbingwife - go easy on Spock.  She and her H (and their families) have been through a whirlwind of hell the last few weeks.  I can appreciate concern regarding HIPAA, but what's done is done.  I'm sure that if Spock & her husband had legal privacy concerns, they'd take the appropriate measures.

Can we please just focus on the fact that she's now married and that she & her husband were able to enjoy the day in light of all the pain?

No. Thanks though. I will post however I feel like.

And for the record, I asked a simple question. And Spock decided to get all defensive, which makes me even more suspicious.

FTR, I still don't understand the giant rush to get married. Spock got POA relatively quickly and her H didn't seem to need access to her insurance. I do understand wanting to get married, but like MIL pointed out, May is not far away. And it might have been easier on everyone (her H included) if they had waited.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @KatWAG , @climbingwife - go easy on Spock.  She and her H (and their families) have been through a whirlwind of hell the last few weeks.  I can appreciate concern regarding HIPAA, but what's done is done.  I'm sure that if Spock & her husband had legal privacy concerns, they'd take the appropriate measures.

Can we please just focus on the fact that she's now married and that she & her husband were able to enjoy the day in light of all the pain?

I've expressed concern for Spock and her H. They are dealing with a traumatic experience. Spock has chosen to share many details, and Katwag and I are allowed to comment on whatever we like, including something that seems inconsistent. 
    Sorry Guac, but you don't get to tell me what I can and cannot post. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards