Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Band Sizing

My engagement ring is a 4.25 size and we could only order my band in half sizes so went with 4.5. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts about if I should size my wedding band down to 4.25 or leave it as it is? My engagement ring and band both have a half circle of diamonds so if they turn, you can see where the diamonds end and the plain band begins. I intend to wear my engagement ring daily with my band. I've received advice to solder my band and engagement ring together so that if they turn, they turn together and 'match'. If I solder, would I have to size my ring(s) up so that I could still get them off?

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Band Sizing

• edited April 2016
    Have you tried them on together yet? I originally had my ering and my bands (I have two that might make a difference here) the same size, but when I wore them together the bands were tighter than I liked. I took them in to be re-sized and my jeweler said it was pretty common that people have bands larger than e-rings. I went up a half size in my bands. I would suggest wearing them a bit to see how they feel (you can do this after the ceremony as long as you can get them resized after).

I also didn't solder mine, I might in the future, but I haven't done it yet. Mine don't tend to turn that much so it hasn't been a big problem. Again, this is probably something you won't know until you wear them for a bit. If you have diamonds on the sides (I do too on both e-ring and both bands) they will likely be more protected if they are solded; I've lot two paves and the jeweler said it might be because of not having them soldered.
  • I have been wearing my wedding band to try out and it does move a bit. I worry about losing side stones, so that is an interesting piece of information.
  • If you're never going to wear them separately again, IMO you should have them soldered. And that may involve sizing up the e-ring because the two together will fit more snugly than one at a time due to the width. I don't have mine soldered because I do occasionally wear just the band. The main reason I advise soldering (which, btw, is easily undone by a jeweler who knows what they're doing, if you later change your mind) is that the rings will cause wear against each other. For example, I can see the spots where my e-ring rubs my band because the rhodium wears off there faster so they look slightly more yellowish in those small spots. And my rings don't have diamonds along the sides, but depending on how yours are set and how they touch, the prongs could be worn faster and/or your diamonds could chip/break each other.

TL;DR Soldering will equal less maintenance and repair.
  • Thanks @artbyallie. I wonder if I will ever not want to wear my engagement ring which is why I'm fence sitting. I think I should probably go to my jeweler and discuss my rings including how they might wear and what my options are. We're leaving for our honeymoon within a week of our wedding so I will wear my set 'as is' for ~1 month. I'm guessing that I should have a decent idea of how they wear/move by the end of it. I won't lose my ring as I would keep my engagement ring on the entire time we are away.

Thanks for the replies ... I think I just needed to talk it out to look at my options and get some ideas about what others have done.  

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    I've had it both ways with my rings (no one mentions but it's common to have your fingers change size during/after pregnancy - hence the plural)...  IMO - where there's a definite pattern, I'd have them soldered together.  Where-as if you had a plain band that if you were working say in a professions where you can only wear a plain band to work (Food, nursing, EMS, etc.), then I would recommend leaving them separate..
  • @MesmrEwe I'm a nurse and end up on the floor quite a bit. Technically, we are only able to wear a plain band, but I'm a bit of a rebel. Not having kids so unless I gain weight (which could be a possibility, but unlikely) I'll stay the same size.  
  • ernursej said:
    @MesmrEwe I'm a nurse and end up on the floor quite a bit. Technically, we are only able to wear a plain band, but I'm a bit of a rebel. Not having kids so unless I gain weight (which could be a possibility, but unlikely) I'll stay the same size.  
    I'd recommend getting an extra, plain with nothing on it, thin band - because with putting on/taking off gloves, constantly washing your hands, not to mention contact risk for bacteria, etc. on the floor, have something that you can wear to work with no worries of ever losing a diamond is worth it!!
  • @MesmrEwe - it is a possibility. I'll consider it.
  • Since there is plain metal on the back can the band be sized up or down after you get it? If so, then order big & they can then make it smaller.

My sister is also a nurse, she has two rings. She didn't solder her rings together because of that. Her e-ring stone is too large & due to shape (oval with points, not sure what cut is called), it would rip through the gloves too easily. So she leaves that ring at home & wears her simple band to work. She lost her e-ring & band from her first marriage because she had to take it off for work, smaller diamond but still risk of ripping gloves & she worked in delivery. At the end of a work day she went to her locker only to find it had been broken into & her rings had been stolen. So this time around she opted for a band that she knew she wouldn't have to take off at work.

• Erikan73 said:

Since there is plain metal on the back can the band be sized up or down after you get it? If so, then order big & they can then make it smaller.

My sister is also a nurse, she has two rings. She didn't solder her rings together because of that. Her e-ring stone is too large & due to shape (oval with points, not sure what cut is called), it would rip through the gloves too easily. So she leaves that ring at home & wears her simple band to work. She lost her e-ring & band from her first marriage because she had to take it off for work, smaller diamond but still risk of ripping gloves & she worked in delivery. At the end of a work day she went to her locker only to find it had been broken into & her rings had been stolen. So this time around she opted for a band that she knew she wouldn't have to take off at work.

I believe it is called a marquis cut.
  • Erikan73 said:

Since there is plain metal on the back can the band be sized up or down after you get it? If so, then order big & they can then make it smaller.

Band has already been bought and we bought the larger size since I'm between sizes.

I went in and talked to the jeweler today. She said that the stones are guaranteed provided I bring them in for inspection once a year. I'm not as worried about my stones falling out now. I think I'll wear my rings together for the honeymoon and by the time I get back, I'll have a better idea of how I like to wear them and how much the band turns.

I was taking off my ring at work until a lady had her locker broken into. I have a few friends that put their rings on a necklace so that might also be an option. I'm not on the floor a lot so it wouldn't be everyday.

• I didn't get mine soldered, because I don't wear my e-ring all the time (I usually take it off when I get home). I would recommend really thinking about whether you will want to wear your engagement ring all the time; if you solder them, your only options will be both or neither, and personally I do not like taking off my wedding band, ever.

Another thing to keep in mind, since your band has diamonds: When sizing a band with pave-set or channel-set diamonds, if you go to small (4.25 is pretty small) or too large, you run the risk of diamonds popping out or becoming loose, since you are changing the arc of the circle.

If your main concern is that they both rotate, another option would be to get little beads soldered to the inside of the band, on the bottom side. This is a common solution to keep the rings from spinning on your finger if you don't necessarily want to size down. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks @madamerwin. I hadn't thought about the little beads on the inside of the ring. I'll keep it in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards