Snarky Brides

2016 wedding season snarks

2»

Re: 2016 wedding season snarks

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    The wedding I attended this weekend (errr wedding reception as they called it, they were married the night before privately although I think there were quite a few people, friends and family, invited). The only snark I have on it was that we were never greeted by the couple. They sort of did table visits to their respective "sides" (there was basically a groom's side and bride's side in the reception venue) and she made it to the table next to us then said I'll brb but didn't come back, then came by like an hour later, talked to one person standing by our table and then ran off to the dance floor. Needless to say friends were not super happy. I did manage to talk to her when we were leaving and got a few minutes of convo to say congrats but others never got a word.
  • I didn't have any stories until this weekend. 

1.  A couple whose wedding I received a STD for posted a photo of them mailing invitations. Their wedding is 11-12 weeks away. 
    2.  Yesterday I was out with another friend and the couple next to us was arguing "because her bridesmaids are refusing to pay for their dresses, and it shouldn't matter how much they are because they knew there'd be costs when they agreed to be there for HER day."
    3.  A friend of a friend is a hot bridezilla wreck. All of her close friends are married with young babies so she's jealous that she didn't get all of the attention that the rest of the group seemingly got. She has made comments like "she won't be accommodating pregnant people" and has not only a Honeyfund but also a list of lingerie likes and dislikes on her bachelorette invitation. 
  • 1) FSIL's wedding is next week and there is so much drama for some reason (mostly from FBIL and his wife)...I was watching the group text this morning like...

2) PPD in the fall...knowing their personalities and their families, it's going to be a circus..but hopefully a circus with an open bar (probably a cash bar TBH).

3) We have a STD for next April on our fridge..I don't recall my name being on the envelope with FI's, hopefully it was just overlooked on the STDs.
    You *must* update us on 1), @CharlieRay.
    I survived, I'm back, and I have updates! (and it's so long and probably confusing, I'm sorry!)

Just some background info; it was a Mormon wedding, they were sealed at the temple in the middle of the week and the reception (or "celebration" if you prefer) was Saturday (this is very common for that kind of wedding, so no snark).

On the snarky side of things:
    **well first of all, talk about your gaps!** [totally kidding, like I said, no snark]

1) The grooms family decided to do a "family lunch" [immediate family only] after the sealing instead of a rehearsal dinner the day before...which would have been fine if only immediate family had been invited to witness the sealing, but there were also extended family and family friends there too.

2) There's another reception planned in a few months in a different state "for his side"

3) 400 invitations and zero RSVPs went out for both receptions.

4) There were 92 seats for the estimated 200 people (a hell of a lot more than that showed up), they had to bring in 2 more tables in the middle of dinner, and there were chairs lined against the wall like a high school dance.

5) The food was good but they served tiny portions that were, IMO, too small to be considered dinner.

6) There was tons of leftover everything (because again, tiny portions), and the leftover tri-tip they "sold for donations to the bride and groom"

On the family drama side of things:

1) FBIL's wife decided that FI and I "don't have enough child care experience" (complete bullshit for FI, but pretty accurate for me) to watch their 2 kids for 90 minutes. FFIL *accidentally* (definitely not an accident, gotta love FFIL) let this slip so we weren't blind sided the day of.
    • But the rest of the world thinks we're perfectly capable as child care apparently, because we got multiple requests to watch kids at the last minute..so we ended up with 6 kids (including FBIL's kids)
    2) The "family lunch" was held at a popular brewhouse in the area and the Bride (FSIL) threw a fit about it.

3) FBIL did the BBQing and was a brat about it THE.ENTIRE.TIME....and in the months leading up to it, and probably for years to come.

..and so much more..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharlieRay  I'm not familiar with Mormon, what do you mean when referring to 'sealing' ?
  • edited June 2016
    Edit crappy quoting, sorry! 
  • @CharlieRay  I'm not familiar with Mormon, what do you mean when referring to 'sealing' ?
    The sealing is the legal/spiritual ceremony; it takes place in the temple, which not everyone is allowed to enter..you must be a member in good standing with the church and have a "temple recommend" (and a few other things I think).

Sealings are very private (most sealing rooms only have space for around 20 people) and are meant to marry (seal) the couple forever rather than "until death do us part."

Everyone who can't enter (kids, nonmembers, etc.) that accompany the bride and groom to the temple wait outside...since they're so limited, most couples (at least in my town) have a reception after the sealing at a later date to celebrate with everyone.

I hope that explains it well. :smile:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    So I just learned that the "private ceremony" they had (which I guess we all assumed was just a few family members) actually had like 30 people there, including a decent number of friends. Kinda makes it feel worse like ok 30% of the guest list was special enough to see you get married but the rest of us just got to go to the party the next day.
  • @CharlieRay  It does! Thanks :) I'm not to familiar with Mormon as a religion since it's not that popular in my area {or doesn't seem to be from what I've seen}
  • Just scrolling through facebook and one of my old school friends is getting married this summer and has literally just sent out invites has just popped on a status saying along the lines of 
    if you've been invited to our reception please message us if you're coming ASAP as we don't want to chase people for months so if you don't get back to us we'll assume that you're not coming and you won't get any food or drink, thanks!

I understand the ease of facebook but surely that's going to bite people in the ass if they don't see that status!
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    Damn I'm gonna be the first of my friends to get married so I haven't had to deal with this stuff. I guess the only thing worth mentioning is this girl I'm inviting. She got engaged a few months after I did and lord she really wants the excitement from outsiders to last forever. She posts updates on Facebook on her planning allllll the time, she's a cool person otherwise but I wish I could tell her "no one cares, people are going to start assuming they're invited, or ask to be", she also wants to do a honeyfund despite me warning her about it. I try to ignore these things and it doesn't actually bother me but it's curious when it comes up. No one cares that you're about to update your blog on your engagement party, no one cares that you're about to decorate your engagement party, we don't need to see 3 different versions of your engagement story, etc etc. I'm happy for her but damn.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Got a wedding invite the other day to a destination wedding that I've been really unhappy with after finding out it's a PPD - but the groom is one of my husband's best friends, he was a groomsman in our wedding, the bride is from a different culture and maybe to her side this is ok?

Anyway - we're going because my husband feels like he can't miss it. Fine. 

But the invite includes registry info. Including a note that they've included items at all price points to make things easier for people. 
  • My FH was supposed to be a groomsman for a friend of his, but the bride backed out of the wedding. The wedding was supposed to be next Saturday, the wedding was "postponed" over a month ago. The bride texted me telling me to cancel our plans for that day, but nobody ever told my FH. I mean, I told him, but really it should have been the groom. Really, though, no one in our circle is upset about it because it's already 100° here and it was outside entirely. 
  • My FH was supposed to be a groomsman for a friend of his, but the bride backed out of the wedding. The wedding was supposed to be next Saturday, the wedding was "postponed" over a month ago. The bride texted me telling me to cancel our plans for that day, but nobody ever told my FH. I mean, I told him, but really it should have been the groom. Really, though, no one in our circle is upset about it because it's already 100° here and it was outside entirely. 
    That's a sad story. Considering the bride backed out, maybe the groom didn't say anything because he was embarrassed or hoping she'd change her mind or something?
    But yeah, eff that to standing around in 100*  

• kvrunskvruns member

Just saw this posted on a different (no wedding) board I'm on:

"Then the wedding yesterday....all was good until the reception which was in a teeny tiny place. There were 100 people. And 8 tables with enough seating for 64 people. Anyone else had to stand at one of those bar type tables. No AC so it was hot as ballz. DHs family claimed 2 of the tables and parked there. They all see each other fairly often. We had not seen any of them in 4 years. But...there was no room for my family which needs a whole table pretty much and all the other spots were gone, even for my kids to have to sit with a bunch of strangers just to eat (lame). So my oldest DD, the boys and I got our food and sat on the floor out by the restrooms.  Dh wanted to hang with his family and there was room for him to stand and eat (so incredibly lame) and my oldest DS who sat in one remaining seat. It was horrible. Oldest DD was so upset that she started crying and wanting to leave. We had high hopes for a fun time with family and no one gave a shit we were even there. I stood for a bit to try to be social but my legs started to swell in the heat. We tried to find a seat one more time, hoping some people had left but nope, after 2hrs we just left. Saying goodbye, all the SILs and BILs are like: so great seeing you!  I couldn't fake it so I was a little sassy and just said "yep!" we drove 18 hrs one way to come there, planned for months and they can't make fucking room for us? And no one cared either? I know they noticed my attitude and I'm ashamed I could not hold it in on someone else's wedding day but for fucks sake. "

YUCK!

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    kvruns said:

"Then the wedding yesterday....all was good until the reception which was in a teeny tiny place. There were 100 people. And 8 tables with enough seating for 64 people. Anyone else had to stand at one of those bar type tables. No AC so it was hot as ballz. DHs family claimed 2 of the tables and parked there. They all see each other fairly often. We had not seen any of them in 4 years. But...there was no room for my family which needs a whole table pretty much and all the other spots were gone, even for my kids to have to sit with a bunch of strangers just to eat (lame). So my oldest DD, the boys and I got our food and sat on the floor out by the restrooms.  Dh wanted to hang with his family and there was room for him to stand and eat (so incredibly lame) and my oldest DS who sat in one remaining seat. It was horrible. Oldest DD was so upset that she started crying and wanting to leave. We had high hopes for a fun time with family and no one gave a shit we were even there. I stood for a bit to try to be social but my legs started to swell in the heat. We tried to find a seat one more time, hoping some people had left but nope, after 2hrs we just left. Saying goodbye, all the SILs and BILs are like: so great seeing you!  I couldn't fake it so I was a little sassy and just said "yep!" we drove 18 hrs one way to come there, planned for months and they can't make fucking room for us? And no one cared either? I know they noticed my attitude and I'm ashamed I could not hold it in on someone else's wedding day but for fucks sake. "

YUCK!

Sat on the floor by the bathrooms... that's probably the rudest story I've ever heard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a sad story. Considering the bride backed out, maybe the groom didn't say anything because he was embarrassed or hoping she'd change her mind or something?
    But yeah, eff that to standing around in 100*  
    The former groom still hasn't said anything about it even though my FI has talked to him a few times. It is sad, but they want completely different things right now. She's 21 and is ready to go out and party, but he's older and is ready to start a family. 
  • MCmeow said:
    kvruns said:

YUCK!

Sat on the floor by the bathrooms... that's probably the rudest story I've ever heard.
    I know -- that's awful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards