Wedding Woes
Options

Excluded for your comfort

edited July 2016 in Wedding Woes
I came across this article while pretending I don't need to get up and wanted to share it with you all. 

Not getting a wedding invite to a loved one's big day can sting, but it can often be rationalized. Maybe they're keeping things super small. Or they know attending their destination wedding would be too big of a financial burden on you. But in a recent wedding horror story posted on Reddit, one teen didn't make the cut to attend her aunt's wedding — because of her disability.
Redditor Zinogirl, who identifies herself as a 15-year-old girl, explained in a postpublished on July 7, "I'm just very upset now because my aunt's wedding is soon and I learned that I can't go to the wedding because she didn't invite me. I have a physical disability and I need crutches but I can handle myself. The invitation to our family says my parents and my brothers [not me]."
She went on to explain that her aunt claims, "that the venue isn't friendly and comfortable for me."

My [15F] aunt [33F] didn't invite me to her wedding while inviting my brothers [18/13M] and other cousins.Non-Romantic

submitted 15 days ago by Zinogirl

I'm just very upset now because my aunt's wedding is soon and I learned that I can't go to the wedding because she didn't invite me. I have a physical disability and I need crutches but I can handle myself. The invitation to our family says my parents and my brothers.

My dad talked to my aunt and she thought that the venue isn't friendly and comfortable for me and that's why she didn't invite me. If that's the only reason, isn't that something I should decide? Maybe I can handle myself in that venue. Maybe my brother and dad will help me if I needed help. She excluded me because I have a disability. My parents told me that I need to understand that it's her wedding and she gets to decide who comes and I can't be upset and I should respect her decision. I told them that if she thinks I'm not good enough to be at her wedding then I don't want to see her or talk to her again but they tell me that I should continue to be a good niece and respect her and be friendly with her. I don't understand why?

Do I have a right to be upset and not wanting to talk to her again?

tl;dr: Aunt didn't invite me to her wedding because I'm disabled and she thinks I can't handle the venue. I'm very upset and don't want to talk to her again but parents tell me it's not a big deal and expect me to forget about it and act as it never happened.

In a follow-up post Ziongirl published on July 19, said she had confronted her aunt, with her two brothers offering to boycott the wedding if an invite was not extended to their sis. The aunt insisted the lack of invite was for the teen's own comfort. As the post explains, "She said it's not pity it's genuine concern for my well-being. She doesn't want me [to] see other girls my age do the things I can't do and feel jealous and inadequate."
It's important to make your wedding day into something you're comfortable and happy with. But achieving that should never require discrimination.

eta-the article instead of a link

Re: Excluded for your comfort

• Options
    I keep coming back to this article. My nana has a walker due to back issues but we won't invite her somewhere that has stairs! We let her know ahead of time and be sure someone is there to take her arm and find the easiest way possible. For our wedding venue, that was very important to us since there were older people. Could everyone get in and around the area safely?
    It's like our new home. I'm beyond glad we have a bathroom on the main level, because if she comes over it's easier. I don't mind assisting her but the stairs are quite narrow and unsafe for two people.
  • Options
    God, what a bitch.  And the parents?  I'd be even more hurt by them.  If I were the girl, and I really wanted to go (and it was local,) I'd see if I could enlist a friend's help in crashing.  

Or maybe I wouldn't, but yhis would SERIOUSLY damage my relationship with my parents.  Screw a relationship with my aunt.
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    One can only hope the parents were trying to do the "Now be respectful! <with the eye>" (i.e. don't say something that would cause an even bigger situation down the road even if they agree with her) with a teen venting to them...  But - in this case, ole auntie gets the forever boot, that one is unrecoverable...  Invite the parents without the kids - NBD, but exclude the one child (even without the handicap factor) shows she doesn't give a rip about people and only her Bridal Vision... and why here we say "Bridal vision doesn't trump how you treat people!  People won't remember the matchy-matchy table linens, but they will remember how they were treated!".. 
  • Options
    I can't believe those parents (or the aunt). If I were them, I would cut off relationship with that aunt. My husband calls me "Mrs. Ole Yeller" for a reason! Don't mess with my babies!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    Why is the girl supposed to "be a good niece" and "respect" a rotten aunt who had such blatant disregard for her???????

I would not only never want to talk to the aunt again -- but  I would also never respect or want to talk to my parents again either if they treated me like that.
  • Options

I had my wedding ceremony and reception halfway across the country from where my H and I live so my grandma could attend.  It wasn't the only reason, but it was a major one.

In light of that, picking an appropriate venue for one's disabled niece seems pretty small potatoes.  Oh wait!  According to @jacques27, it was an appropriate venue for the niece.  The aunt just didn't want her niece to see the other young women gallivanting around and be hurt/jealous by that.  Soooo... the better solution is to invite her whole family and exclude her?  Excusemewtf?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy Right?? Doesn't that just deserve a giant

• Options
    This is disgusting. My husband is a wheelchair user and is often in the position as this woman because people make assumptions about his abilities and comfort level.

His friends and coworkers have gatherings and not invite him because they don't think he'd be able to get into their house that isn't accessible.

OUR house isn't wheelchair accessible...it doesn't need to be. He sits most of the time but uses crutches at home for very short distances. 

Assume nothing. 

Your last two words say it all!
  • Options
    This is disgusting. My husband is a wheelchair user and is often in the position as this woman because people make assumptions about his abilities and comfort level.

His friends and coworkers have gatherings and do not invite him because they don't think he'd be able to get into their house that isn't accessible.

OUR house isn't wheelchair accessible...it doesn't need to be. He sits most of the time but uses crutches at home for very short distances. 

Assume nothing. 

I had a good friend in college in a wheelchair.  Man, there is no place that young woman couldn't go!

There were a couple friends' houses/apartments in our group that had a few stairs.  She was NEVER not invited because of that.  Typically, one of the guys would pick her up and another one would carry her chair up the stairs.  30 seconds later, she was back in action.  But even that was rare when she needed any help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards