Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cash Bar/BYOB

Re: Cash Bar/BYOB

• Options

I agree with PP. Cash bars are tacky and two glasses of wine is just a warm up for me. 

• Options
    You have 250 closest nearest and dearest people? If you can afford to host 50, invite 50. 
  • Options
    At daughter's wedding,we actually paid more for the soft drinks than for the mimosas and bloody marys.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    It's the summer, they can stock up on the soft drinks too! $2 sales for a 12 pack recently. Heck, I just bought a bunch of bottles for .25 from a flash sale. 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    goin2vegasgoin2vegas member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016

Not sure where you are in Canada but if you're in AB, then you couldn't do a BYOB and cash bar, even if you wanted to (or should....you shouldn't). The liquor laws are pretty clear about serving alcohol and people bringing their own. I can't imagine other provinces being any different. If you are charging for alcohol, then that's what the license will state. If people are bringing their own (or you are providing it) and nothing will be charged, then that's what your license will state. They are two separate licences and are not interchangeable. Both have different conditions that must be followed, so you can't do both at the same time. Legally anyways.

Yes, toonie bars are very common here. I've never been to a wedding that hasn't had one, other than my first wedding because my mother wouldn't be caught dead charging friends and family for drinks at her daughters wedding. She still feels that way and has made it very clear to my brother and his fiancé, who are getting married next summer, how rude it is to charge your guests. Just because they are so common here, doesn't make it right. Host what you can afford. If that means a limited bar, then so be it. You don't need to serve everyone signature cocktails and shots all night. If people don't like what you have to offer, then they will drink pop, coffee, water, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Not sure where you are in Canada but if you're in AB, then you couldn't do a BYOB and cash bar, even if you wanted to (or should....you shouldn't). The liquor laws are pretty clear about serving alcohol and people bringing their own. I can't imagine other provinces being any different. If you are charging for alcohol, then that's what the license will state. If people are bringing their own (or you are providing it) and nothing will be charged, then that's what your license will state. They are two separate licences and are not interchangeable. Both have different conditions that must be followed, so you can't do both at the same time. Legally anyways.

Yes, toonie bars are very common here. I've never been to a wedding that hasn't had one, other than my first wedding because my mother wouldn't be caught dead charging friends and family for drinks at her daughters wedding. She still feels that way and has made it very clear to my brother and his fiancé, who are getting married next summer, how rude it is to charge your guests. Just because they are so common here, doesn't make it right. Host what you can afford. If that means a limited bar, then so be it. You don't need to serve everyone signature cocktails and shots all night. If people don't like what you have to offer, then they will drink pop, coffee, water, etc.

Must not be in Ontario either, it's more expensive to do a cash bar than an open bar and you cannot BYOB, unless you pay big bucks in extra liability insurance and a special liquor license.
  • Options
    I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned your plans to self-cater. Self-catering for 250 sounds like a terribly stressful day. If you do a search on these boards you can find plenty of reasons why that's not a good idea - food safety, keeping food warm, not stressing yourself out... the list goes on and on.

Good point. The BYOB wedding I went to this weekend was also a potluck wedding. No one was really managing the food and it was in the 90s that day. As a guest, I actively considered that I had no idea how the food was transported and maintained through the day. It was impossible to have enough fridge space to accommodate it all and there was an awful lot of spoilable items. I only ate things that were freshly cooked or unable to make me sick. 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    I went to a friend's house once and she decided to make brownies. I had eaten her brownies at work before and thought nothing of it. However, when she pulled plates out of the cabinet, roaches scattered and I had to wash roach poop off my plate. It is for that reason that I no longer eat food from people's home, if I've not personally seen their kitchen.
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    Good point. The BYOB wedding I went to this weekend was also a potluck wedding. No one was really managing the food and it was in the 90s that day. As a guest, I actively considered that I had no idea how the food was transported and maintained through the day. It was impossible to have enough fridge space to accommodate it all and there was an awful lot of spoilable items. I only ate things that were freshly cooked or unable to make me sick. 
    I have never been invited to a pot luck wedding. For the longest time I never even knew they existed.
    And you've gone to at least two now? How'd you "luck out" with that?
  • Options

This one included a "bra pong" game. 

I feel like my life is a little less complete because I didn't have this at my wedding.
  • Options
    It's not your responsibility to provide enough booze for your guests to all get drunk. Nothing wrong with limiting bar to wine & beer or even having a dry wedding. If someone decides to skip your wedding because you aren't having a full bar, then do you really want them there? And as for the BYOB, have you confirmed with your venue if that's ok? Not all venues will let you bring in your own booze.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards