Chit Chat

Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

I'll start....

People who like their own Facebook posts.  

Like... what?  Why?

SaveSave

Re: Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016

ernursej said:

Why people criticize my choice for not having children and tell me I should do some thinking (pretty sure I have) and I have to be the better person when they get pregnant and tell me that it was unexpected. ??Shouldn't you have thought about having children some more?? Grrr.

I don't know how old you are, but I can speak from experience. That magically stops at 40. It's awesome. No one questions my decision anymore. At all. 

• ernursej said:

Why people criticize my choice for not having children and tell me I should do some thinking (pretty sure I have) and I have to be the better person when they get pregnant and tell me that it was unexpected. ??Shouldn't you have thought about having children some more?? Grrr.

I don't know how old you are, but I can speak from experience. That magically stops at 40. It's awesome. No one questions my decision anymore. At all. 

I'm 31. These are the same people that I have told several times and they like to tell me that I'm making a mistake and who will look after me when I'm old. Pretty sure that having kids does not equal having someone to look after you when you are old. Bad reason to have kids.

I sure as hell hope that it magically stops when I turn 40. I often throw back a "why are you asking" and "my choice to have children is between my FI and me and we do not need help from others".

• I think I'm quite lucky that no one really questions my desire to remain childless. Even though I live in quite a conservative country. I think people might think that I will change my mind but they are sensible enough to keep those thoughts to themselves. 
    I'm thinking about getting sterilised in a couple of years, that's going to be interesting. 

On the OP, I don't get weddings. I mean, I'm having one, I've had one before, and it the quiet pressure for your wedding to be a certain way had increased so much since my first one. It's insane. 
  • People have always questioned me not wanting kids, even though I've been adamant about it since high school. I thought that when I married my now H that it would stop, since he is quite a bit older, has two older children, and had a vasectomy. Nope. After having cancer, I thought for sure. Nope. I've now had a hysterectomy. Oh, but you can adopt! Seriously people???

On the OP, I don't get weddings. I mean, I'm having one, I've had one before, and it the quiet pressure for your wedding to be a certain way had increased so much since my first one. It's insane. 

I had a traditional wedding the first time, a bit under duress from my parents. So, when I got remarried, I kept it a secret. I didn't want the stress, pressure, and attention. We did have a wedding since we did exchange vows and sign the papers, but it was nice to keep it between the two of us. I really don't get wanting the whole big thing, but I do realize that is normal and I'm part of the exception.

• Probably get flamed for this, but I don't get why beach volleyball is an Olympic sport. There's already regular volleyball. Why not add beach soccer or beach fencing or beach running to the olympics? Just take any other Olympic sport, stick it on the beach and call it a new Olympic sport. I don't get it. 
  • Probably get flamed for this, but I don't get why beach volleyball is an Olympic sport. There's already regular volleyball. Why not add beach soccer or beach fencing or beach running to the olympics? Just take any other Olympic sport, stick it on the beach and call it a new Olympic sport. I don't get it. 
    we saw beach soccer a couple weeks ago and it was pretty interesting, much more interesting than regular soccer IMO because there was lots of action.

I do find beach volley ball interesting because it is just 2 people out there with the whole court instead of 6 like indoor
  • kvruns said:
    (this one would go well in an UO thread too)....
    in honor of fall approaching and this stuff already being out in stores: I just don't get pumpkin everything. Pumpkin spice coffee, donuts, milk, ice cream, hair spray, laundry detergent (ok I might have made up the last two...or at least I hope I did)

This!

I also don't get why it's August 15 and the grocery store already put up their Halloween display and was selling candy. Of course, I also don't get why they had a million different types of mini chocolate bars and no candy corn!!!

• kvruns said:
    in honor of fall approaching and this stuff already being out in stores: I just don't get pumpkin everything. Pumpkin spice coffee, donuts, milk, ice cream, hair spray, laundry detergent (ok I might have made up the last two...or at least I hope I did)
    I don't get why a love of pumpkin has to be limited to the fall.  I'm a huge pumpkin fan, but that's just because it tastes awesome.  I have never bought into the pumpkin spiced beverages, though (I have no need for the extra calories), but I do love baking with it year-round.

My "I don't get" for the day is why everyone thinks I should be using Facebook to make public announcements for major life events.  I'm not going to be sorry about the fact that I am a private person and don't wish to make the entire world aware of my comings and goings, life changes or decisions.  I'm also not sorry that when I DID notify the important people in my life, you, person I haven't spoken to since the day you married my husband's cousin's best friend, didn't make that list.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

My H said the same thing. He was like "why are there two types of volleyball, pick one or the other". 
  • edited August 2016
    I don't get vague-booking. Posting some cryptic status about how you're "just so upset" or "people are fake, you know who you are", or "heartbroken" then disappear or get pissed when people ask questions about the status. Like you posted it what did you think people would do?!
    I can't stand those posts!

I don't get why the 65-pound dog is terrified of the 8-pound cat. Moose immediately goes into submissive mode whenever Sam is in the vicinity. He doesn't do that when the other two are around, not even for Oliver, the 15-year-old alpha cat.
  • I don't get vague-booking. Posting some cryptic status about how you're "just so upset" or "people are fake, you know who you are", or "heartbroken" then disappear or get pissed when people ask questions about the status. Like you posted it what did you think people would do?!
    I always figure they're not pissed people ask questions (even if they act like it), they're getting exactly what they want: attention. I had to explain it to my mid 80s great-aunt a year or two ago because she was concerned about some great niece of hers or something and these weird posts and I was like yea its vague-booking she basically just wants attention and sympathy and great aunt was like oh that makes a lot of sense
  • kvruns said:
    I don't get vague-booking. Posting some cryptic status about how you're "just so upset" or "people are fake, you know who you are", or "heartbroken" then disappear or get pissed when people ask questions about the status. Like you posted it what did you think people would do?!
    I always figure they're not pissed people ask questions (even if they act like it), they're getting exactly what they want: attention. I had to explain it to my mid 80s great-aunt a year or two ago because she was concerned about some great niece of hers or something and these weird posts and I was like yea its vague-booking she basically just wants attention and sympathy and great aunt was like oh that makes a lot of sense

THIS.

My SIL does this and I know it's her way of being a total AW. She wants the attention to feel better about herself (totally insecure) and all of her friends eat it up.

• I don't get why USA and Canada can't combine to be one country?  There's no need for a border.  And then Southwest can fly to the former Canada area's and travel won't be so much.  

Also, I don't get why mid-grade hotels are so expensive. 

• kvruns said:
    No joke, I was in Trader Joe's last fall and overheard a guy say to his SO, "You just want it because it's pumpkin." Hahaha.

On the kids topic, I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this but I don't get people who have multiple children and then complain about how tired/stressed/broke they are. You chose to have multiple children....???
    I also don't get people who have two kids just so their first can have a sibling. I think siblings, most of the time (not all) aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know very few people who are as close to their siblings as parents imagine they'll be. My sister and I could barely get along for 24 hours until, like, our 30s.
    Yep. My brother and I were thick as thieves till he got married. For years, I thought my SIL disliked me personally, but I finally figured out that 1) she comes from a very dysfunctional family and still doesn't know how to relate to a functional one 2) she's generally a very unhappy, negative person.
  • ernursej said:

ernursej said:

I'm 31. These are the same people that I have told several times and they like to tell me that I'm making a mistake and who will look after me when I'm old. Pretty sure that having kids does not equal having someone to look after you when you are old. Bad reason to have kids.

I sure as hell hope that it magically stops when I turn 40. I often throw back a "why are you asking" and "my choice to have children is between my FI and me and we do not need help from others".

I'm 42.  My BFF and her mom (15 years ago) on the subject of "I don't want children".  Them;  "Oh honey, you'll change your mind when you meet the right man!"

Apparently not, lol.  I met the right man shortly after that statement and am still happily "childless by choice" all these years later. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm nearing 40, so I hope the questions will stop then.  I don't get "you'll change your mind" as much as "you'll make a great mother though!"

No.  I make a great aunt and "aunt".  When I'm ready, I can hand them back and pour a glass of wine and sleep and watch bad TV shows and plan my next vacation. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards