Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting cousin who lives with her parents and her boyfriend

I searched and searched these forums but this is such a weird question I wasn't surprised that nothing came up. Here it goes:
I have a 22 year old cousin, let's call her Melanie. She lives at home with her parents and 2 younger siblings and recently her boyfriend of a little less than a year moved in with them. His mom was moving out of state or something and he didn't want to go/couldn't afford to find his own place so he has his own room at the home of my aunt and uncle. I have never met him.
My wedding isn't until next fall but as my fiance and I were planning a tentative guest list, the question arose: do we invite this boyfriend? I am not close to my cousin at all and I wasn't planning on inviting any of my cousins with a date unless they were married/engaged/living together but this seems to not fit in any of those categories. Melanie has mentioned on a few occasions that she and her boyfriend want to get married but she has said that about literally the last 3 guys she has dated. I feel like it will be impolite of me to address an invitation to everyone else in the house and not him but I also feel like I shouldn't have to pay $180 for a plate to feed someone I've never met and wouldn't have invited under more conventional circumstances. Also, I have other cousins who are older than Melanie and in long term relationships, so if I invited this roommate/boyfriend, would I be obligated to invite them with guests as well? This is a pretty unorthodox situation, I'd love to hear some input!

Re: Inviting cousin who lives with her parents and her boyfriend

• Options
    I searched and searched these forums but this is such a weird question I wasn't surprised that nothing came up. Here it goes:
    I have a 22 year old cousin, let's call her Melanie. She lives at home with her parents and 2 younger siblings and recently her boyfriend of a little less than a year moved in with them. His mom was moving out of state or something and he didn't want to go/couldn't afford to find his own place so he has his own room at the home of my aunt and uncle. I have never met him.
    My wedding isn't until next fall but as my fiance and I were planning a tentative guest list, the question arose: do we invite this boyfriend? I am not close to my cousin at all and I wasn't planning on inviting any of my cousins with a date unless they were married/engaged/living together but this seems to not fit in any of those categories. Melanie has mentioned on a few occasions that she and her boyfriend want to get married but she has said that about literally the last 3 guys she has dated. I feel like it will be impolite of me to address an invitation to everyone else in the house and not him but I also feel like I shouldn't have to pay $180 for a plate to feed someone I've never met and wouldn't have invited under more conventional circumstances. Also, I have other cousins who are older than Melanie and in long term relationships, so if I invited this roommate/boyfriend, would I be obligated to invite them with guests as well? This is a pretty unorthodox situation, I'd love to hear some input!
    You need to invite the boyfriend. And any other cousins', friends', or family members significant other, regardless of how long they have been together or what life events (married/engaged/living together) they have chosen to participate in together. If they determine they are in a relationship, they are a social unit and need to be invited together. 

It doesn't matter if you haven't met them; they are important to the people that you have met and want to be there. They are attending your wedding to celebrate your relationship, while doing so you need to respec theirs and invite their SOs accordingly. 
    Yep. You need to invite the significant other of every adult on your guest list. Period. Not just adults with their own places or adults you know well, all of ''em. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
      I feel like it will be impolite of me to address an invitation to everyone else in the house and not him but I also feel like I shouldn't have to pay $180 for a plate to feed someone I've never met and wouldn't have invited under more conventional circumstances. 
    180$/plate?! 
    Was I the only one who thought that amount is outrageous? (Not trying to be rude) that must be some damn good food tho (hopefully)
    Nope, I thought the same thing.

OP, you need to invite your cousin and her boyfriend or invite neither of them. It's really quite simple.
  • Options
    Not inviting your cousin's boyfriend would be really hurtful to your cousin. You're asking her to acknowledge your relationship without acknowledging hers.

Neither your not knowing her boyfriend nor that they're not engaged or married allows you to exclude him from an invitation to her.

I declined a wedding invitation from close friends who had that same "no ring no bring" attitude about SOs they weren't acquainted with because it excluded my then-BF of two and a half years. It really hurt that close friends who I'd known for most of my life treated me like that. Geography was the only reason I'd never been able to introduce them (we lived several hundred miles apart but our families had been very close when we were younger and still are).
  • Options
    Living situations and age do not matter.  If you put someone on your guest list that has an SO, regardless of **age or living arrangement, the guest and their SO must be invited.  There is absolutely nothing unorthodox about your situation.  Please go with your instincts; it would be more than impolite to not include him.  If you cannot afford to invite additional/other cousins without their SO's, then exclude them altogether.

**Some may argue that if a teen, typically still in HS, lives at home with parents, SO's of the teen would not need to be invited.
  • Options
    Please be respectful of your cousin's relationship and invite her boyfriend. Same with your other cousins. It is not up to you to decide the seriousness of anyone else's relationships. Your cousin and this boyfriend may or may not get married in the future; regardless of that, including him is the right thing to do now. 

I understand that weddings can get expensive (where I am from, $180/pp is not considered that extraordinary, believe it or not). However, excluding people's significant others is not the way to save money.  Find other areas to cut back on if you are getting concerned about the cost of the wedding. 
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    OP brought up the per person plate amount as a reason to deny inviting a SO so I think it's fair game. Lower your per person cost and properly invite following etiquette guidelines. 
    That's what I was thinking. Budgets vary and I don't really care if you spend $50/pp or $200/pp, as long as you treat your guests well. That means you invite their SOs if they are in a relationship. It doesn't matter if you know the SO or not. If you're contemplating being rude to your guests because of budget, then you're in over your head.

At $180/pp, you're probably having a multi-course, sit down dinner. Consider eliminating a course or a few extras, such as butlered hors'ordeuvres to lower the cost/pp.

• Options

Since your wedding is still a year out I did want to caution you about something that we also see a lot around here and that is budgeting for NEW relationships as well.  Since all SO's need to be invited, it is wise to budget for any new relationships that may form between now and your wedding day.

Great point to bring up, but I have one small correction. It's my understanding that you need to invite the SO if anyone in a relationship <i>on the day your invitations are sent</I>, but if new relationships form during the 6-8 weeks between then & the wedding day you are not obligated to extend an additional invitation.
    True not obligated but it is nice to be able to extend the invitation to a new SO.

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The "I searched and searched" got an eyeroll from me...I think the "should i invite...?" gets asked as much as anything.
    OP, guests need to be invited with their SOs.   What if 7 years from now, you have to temporarily move to another state for work.  And you're invited to a family wedding without your H because you don't live together?  Pretty crazy, right?  Regardless of living situation, status (dating/engaged/married), length of relationship, or anything else, guests in relationships must be invited with their SO.
  • Options
      I feel like it will be impolite of me to address an invitation to everyone else in the house and not him but I also feel like I shouldn't have to pay $180 for a plate to feed someone I've never met and wouldn't have invited under more conventional circumstances. 
    180$/plate?! 
    Was I the only one who thought that amount is outrageous? (Not trying to be rude) that must be some damn good food tho (hopefully)
    OP brought up the per person plate amount as a reason to deny inviting a SO so I think it's fair game. Lower your per person cost and properly invite following etiquette guidelines. 
    You are correct. The fact the OP is using the cost per plate as a reason to be rude is fair game.  

However, Paper's comments were clearly she thinks the per person cost is too expensive in general.  Not on how it applies to the OP situation.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm going to tell a little story. Many moons ago I was asked to be a bridesmaid in a wedding. 5 months before said wedding I meet an amazing man and we start dating. 3 months before said wedding and after the guest list had been decided, the friends getting married meet said boyfriend. They immediately asked " is your boyfriend coming to the wedding? We'd love to have him there" . 5 years later, we are still together and he is super close to the aforementioned couple. 

My point: they supported and respected our relationship from day one, and that left an impression. A positive one.
    I love that story!
  • Options
    The way I see it is that you have to look at your overall budget for your wedding (if you have one) and consider what is most important. Having everyone in your family there along with their SO's, or spending $180pp. You can absolutely have both as long as it's something you can afford to do, but if having the fancy, expensive dinner that you always dreamed of is most important, then consider cutting the list to only those that you're close to. You don't have to invite cousins that you're not close to just because they're family. It's your day, your money, and you get to celebrate it your way. But if you want the whole family, you'll have to take into consideration that anyone over the age of 20 is very likely to want to bring a date. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards