So I recently got engaged. I mostly lurk here, occasionally I respond to posts or ask questions. I'll probably be asking more questions now.
My situation is such that I have no money. At least not that I want to pay for a wedding with. My boyfriend wants a big fat fancy wedding, I would rather elope, but it is important to him so we are doing a ceremony/reception type deal. My mom is contributing a large amount of the budget, and therefore contributing to the guest list as well. Here are some of my questions (some of which may fall under etiquette)
1. My mom is paying for her guests. Does her "say" end there? I showed her invitations I liked (very simple, vista print) and she said I need formal wedding invitations with the inner envelope and like lace and crap. Also flowers.
2. Do I need programs? What about a bridal party? I've been a bridesmaid and its sucky.
3. A venue I'm interested in is a B&B. I can rent the entire facility (including 8 rooms) for the weekend and it is in price range, but barely. The coordinator said that "most often the guests pay for the rooms" but to rent the entire facility is one charge. Do the guests pay the venue for their rooms and the venue credit me or do I rent the venue and eat the cost (this is fine)? If they offer me money for their room do I take it? I know there was a thread about this once but I can't find it.
5. If we do a rehearsal dinner, do I need to provide alcohol/open bar? We would most likely be doing a "cater yourself" type thing with pizza or maybe have a small buffet brought in. I would have to do set up and clean up for this situation (at this venue)
6. Would just various cheeses/fresh fruits be suitable enough for cocktail hour?
7. How terrible is a Friday wedding? What about a Saturday or Sunday brunch wedding?
Are there any other areas I can cut out without going against proper hosting?
Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Sorry if this is too long!