Wedding Woes

Halloween candy

Re: Halloween candy

• We totally get the better end of the stick. (hee hee). We get a lot of candy from England and Germany, plus we have several candy makers that set up shop from England back when we were still a colony so we still make that kind of candy. We get the good Cadbury, also Kindereggs, which we can be arrested for crossing the border with. 
    I know!!! That's so silly!
  • We have wine gums too. Ju Jubes have always been fruit shaped. I think the difference is that they are made by different candy companies. 

Wine Gums: 

I kind of think you're getting the better end of the stick, candywise.
    We totally get the better end of the stick. (hee hee). We get a lot of candy from England and Germany, plus we have several candy makers that set up shop from England back when we were still a colony so we still make that kind of candy. We get the good Cadbury, also Kindereggs, which we can be arrested for crossing the border with. 

I am spending way too much time on this candy thread, LOL. 

Anyway, when I used to have to travel to Germany, I would load up on the good chocolate.  I still remember the Lindt Adventskalendar I brought home for Wooz when she was like 1-1/2.  I was really sorry I hadn't thought to get, like, five of them.  The airports always had the red Kit Kats:

I am looking forward to our trip next summer so we can get the good Cadbury chocolate and Kinder Surprise.

• Heffalump said:
    We have wine gums too. Ju Jubes have always been fruit shaped. I think the difference is that they are made by different candy companies. 

Wine Gums: 

I kind of think you're getting the better end of the stick, candywise.
    We totally get the better end of the stick. (hee hee). We get a lot of candy from England and Germany, plus we have several candy makers that set up shop from England back when we were still a colony so we still make that kind of candy. We get the good Cadbury, also Kindereggs, which we can be arrested for crossing the border with. 

I am spending way too much time on this candy thread, LOL. 

Anyway, when I used to have to travel to Germany, I would load up on the good chocolate.  I still remember the Lindt Adventskalendar I brought home for Wooz when she was like 1-1/2.  I was really sorry I hadn't thought to get, like, five of them.  The airports always had the red Kit Kats:

I am looking forward to our trip next summer so we can get the good Cadbury chocolate and Kinder Surprise.

If you are coming to Canada, you can get "Family" size Kit Kats :wink: Pretty much, anywhere!
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:
    Mounds are absolutely delicious and a must-have at Halloween. 

I think Tootsie Rolls are the WORST and should never see the inside of a Halloween candy bowl again.

Wooz loves Tootsie Rolls, for reasons that I cannot understand.  When we were buying Halloween candy, she wanted the giant bag of Tootsie products.  When she wasn't looking, I swapped it out for the small bag.  I like Tootsie Pops (that's what DS picked), but the rest not so much.

DefConn got 3-4 snack size bags of Utz halloween themed pretzels.  He likes them, but really people?  As far as candy that should be banned...candy corn (I would go back in time and stop that from happening if I could) and any dollar store/cheap candy.  Buy a couple bags of the good shit and turn off your light when you're out, or don't do it at all. 

• I use to dump my bag out at home in between a bunch of places and give my parents the 'crap candy'
    My dad loved rockets and sweet tarts, so he got those. But I'm really not a lollipop fan, so those went. I'm not a smarties fan either so those too.

I gave H crap because he gave out our good chocolate and now we're stuck with candy that we genuinely won't eat lol SO GUESS HOW MANY GIFTS FOR XMAS ARE GETTING SOME CANDY!?!?
  • I use to dump my bag out at home in between a bunch of places and give my parents the 'crap candy'
    My dad loved rockets and sweet tarts, so he got those. But I'm really not a lollipop fan, so those went. I'm not a smarties fan either so those too.

I gave H crap because he gave out our good chocolate and now we're stuck with candy that we genuinely won't eat lol SO GUESS HOW MANY GIFTS FOR XMAS ARE GETTING SOME CANDY!?!?
    We stole all of DS's Rockets, we love them. So many smarties this year...

I was like "WTF are Rockets?" so I googled.

Rockets is Canadian for Smarties, apparently.

(Since Smarties are Canadian for "like M&Ms but better," from what I've heard.)

DS loves Smarties/Rockets.  He calls them "circle candy" and cannot get enough.  One roll will make him happy for like an hour.

• banana468 said:
    Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums, anything taffy or wrapped in a cheap waxy paper (I'm looking at you bad caramels), and anything that looks like I may have to toss it because it's easily tampered with.  Oh, and Whoppers.  

Stop putting those fuckers in the multi-candy bags Hershey.    They suck and no one likes them.   
    Image result for yaaaassss gif

Whoppers are the first thing I give out, because I'm sure as all fvck not ending the night with any of those things in my house. It's like Oprah - you get a Whopper, you get a Whopper, EVERYBODY GETS A WHOPPER!!!. (I mean, they get a handful of minis, but I always make sure it includes Whoppers. Let their parents toss them.)
  • Heffalump said:
    I use to dump my bag out at home in between a bunch of places and give my parents the 'crap candy'

I was like "WTF are Rockets?" so I googled.

Rockets is Canadian for Smarties, apparently.

(Since Smarties are Canadian for "like M&Ms but better," from what I've heard.)

DS loves Smarties/Rockets.  He calls them "circle candy" and cannot get enough.  One roll will make him happy for like an hour.

Didn't know rockets are only in Canada!
    {We have smarties and M&Ms also but U.S have more M&M flavours}
    When I was young I liked rockets because it was fun to stack {weird child, I know}
  • Ever since one of my baby teeth came out in a Now'n'Later, I have been averse to those.  Used to get a lot of them at Halloween.

Keep your gummies.  Dots, Mike'n'Ikes, all those things.

I always hated the blow-pops, too.  The gum was all wrong.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• We totally get the better end of the stick. (hee hee). We get a lot of candy from England and Germany, plus we have several candy makers that set up shop from England back when we were still a colony so we still make that kind of candy. We get the good Cadbury, also Kindereggs, which we can be arrested for crossing the border with. 
    Whoops. I'm pretty sure I brought some back with me in HS when I was an exchange student. 

*Barbie* said:
    Bubble gum and Good and Plenty needs to go. I love Dots, though. These Dots,
    not the ones stuck to paper. 
    Thank you! I also love Dots. So much. I also love Tootsie Rolls, candy corn, and Charleston Chew. I have the candy habits of an elderly man. 

I think Baby Ruth, Laffy taffy, Jolly ranchers, Raisinets, Chunky (basically anything that has raisins/dried fruit in it), Bit O Honey, Good n Plenty (I like licorice, but that stuff is nasty IMO), Whoppers, and Mary Janes should absolutely be banned from Halloween.
    I don't think any of these are produced anymore - it's just the same packages being passed off year after year. 
    LOL - I just spit out my coffee! I think you're right - those things have a half life longer than Twinkies and radioactive material.
  • *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:
    Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums, anything taffy or wrapped in a cheap waxy paper (I'm looking at you bad caramels), and anything that looks like I may have to toss it because it's easily tampered with.  Oh, and Whoppers.  

Stop putting those fuckers in the multi-candy bags Hershey.    They suck and no one likes them.   

Whoppers are the first thing I give out, because I'm sure as all fvck not ending the night with any of those things in my house. It's like Oprah - you get a Whopper, you get a Whopper, EVERYBODY GETS A WHOPPER!!!. (I mean, they get a handful of minis, but I always make sure it includes Whoppers. Let their parents toss them.)

This was me with Wooz's Tootsie Rolls.  Everyone got some kind of chocolate, a Starburst/Skittles, and a Tootsie Roll.  I gave away most of them and let her keep the rest. 

I had to hear the president of Tootsie Roll Industries speak once.  I hate to be unkind, but she was like the human version of a Tootsie Roll: old and irrelevant.  She referenced their "How many licks...?" campaign several times, which many of the students in the room had never even heard of.

Oh, and the "Whatever it is, I think I see..." commercial.

Tootsie Roll World Looks Mighty Good to Me vintage ad

It was shortly before Halloween, and everyone got a big bag of candy to take home from the event.  I gave ours away as part of ToT, and I'm sure the kids in the neighborhood were thrilled

• Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:

This was me with Wooz's Tootsie Rolls.  Everyone got some kind of chocolate, a Starburst/Skittles, and a Tootsie Roll.  I gave away most of them and let her keep the rest. 

I had to hear the president of Tootsie Roll Industries speak once.  I hate to be unkind, but she was like the human version of a Tootsie Roll: old and irrelevant.  She referenced their "How many licks...?" campaign several times, which many of the students in the room had never even heard of.

It was shortly before Halloween, and everyone got a big bag of candy to take home from the event.  I gave ours away as part of ToT, and I'm sure the kids in the neighborhood were thrilled

I have been binge watching the Golden Girls on Lifetime on the weekends and they still show the "How many licks" commercial constantly. I couldn't believe anyone still aired it.
  • I pretty much like any candy except life saver gummies. Ick. Ick. Ick

butterfinger peanut butter cups may be my hands down favorite.  Dh brought them home a few weeks ago and I can't stop eating them. 
  • Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:

I have been binge watching the Golden Girls on Lifetime on the weekends and they still show the "How many licks" commercial constantly. I couldn't believe anyone still aired it.

Yep, Golden Girls sounds like the right demographic.  (No offense!)
  • Peanut butter cups and snickers are at the pinnacle of Halloween candy.  Twix and almond joy are close behind.  Mounds and Milky Way are just lame versions of almond joy and snickers.  I used to love 100 grand, but I haven't seen those around in a while.  Do they still exist?

Definitely agree that whoppers are gross and pointless.  I don't really care for plain M&Ms--the chocolate is terrible quality and the candy shell doesn't really add much of anything IMO.  Same with plain hershey bars, minus the comment about the shell.  How about sixlets?  I liked them as a kid but I find them fairly revolting as an adult.

I actually kind of like tootsie rolls, but I only found out like a year ago that they are supposed to be chocolate flavored.   :o  I always just thought they were their own flavor category.
  • That's what I thought, but then why is there a bee on the package. Confusing.
    I always thought it was ju-ju-bees. I had no idea it wasn't. There was the contestant on Drag Race who called herself Jujubee and that reiterated that I was pronouncing it right, but apparently not!

This is how I pronounce them and have always heard them pronounced.  But I could be entirely wrong.

I'm not a big sweets person anyway.  But I especially dislike anything chewy...except you Sour Skittles...and candy corn, smarties, and those weird orange circus peanuts.

I'm so torn with candy corn.  I don't like eating it, but this product is quintessential Halloween to me.  And I like candy corn themed decorations.

Same with Christmas and those red/white circular peppermints.  Hate the candy, love the look.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @saintpaulgal 100 grand is still around but usually in a mixed bag. My coworker brought in a bag of candy for our cube-or-treating that was crunch, butterfinger, butterfinger cups, and 100 grand. I snagged a few 100 grands since I hadn't had it in years
  • kvruns said:
    @saintpaulgal 100 grand is still around but usually in a mixed bag. My coworker brought in a bag of candy for our cube-or-treating that was crunch, butterfinger, butterfinger cups, and 100 grand. I snagged a few 100 grands since I hadn't had it in years

Yes!  I spotted one in DS's bag and snagged it once he was in bed.  He won't miss it, I left all the Smarties for him. ;)
  • Yes, Bit O Honey are still being made - I absolutely LOVE the taste but they've got to be warmed in the microwave for about 5 seconds first so they're soft!

All I can say is - right now - this thread - as everything I'm allowed to have right now tastes like chicken or tuna steak and greens...  I don't give a rat's rear end, if allowed access to a candy bag from Halloween right now for an unlimited binge and no consequences from my coaches, all that stuff is going in on overdose, including the dots (not my fav, but not the worst either)...  

Though the challenge around here really is I'm the "Have at it kids" Mom and DH is the "One piece every other day ONLY" Dad...  And yes, I was sneaky "Kids - anything you know you aren't going to want, go ahead and just put it over here and Mom will take care of it..."  
  • edited November 2016
    I will eat all the candy all the time, but I avoid anything that pulls out fillings and any watermelon or banana flavors. They don't taste anything like the real thing.
  • Reese's pb cups are probably my favorite, although any chocolate candy (Snickers, KitKat, Almond Joy, Three Musketeers, the little M&M packs) excite me.  I'm not a big fan of the fruitier things, and definitely nothing chewy.
  • I once lived in an apartment complex that had a candy-trading day on the day after Halloween. All of the children brought in the candies that they didn't like and traded. I never went but thought it was a great idea.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I LOVE Rockets! And sweet tarts! I also like Jolly Ranchers.

Plain suckers and most gum need to go.

Other that that, I'll eat most candy, and of course chocolate. Caramilk is my favourite.
  • I love everything, except those nasty little coconut filled fuckers. Blech! Dots, banana laffy taffy, whoppers, smarties, bit o honey, candy corn. Pretty much everything everyone said they hated, I love. Gum and suckers are shit candy but I will eat it, don't get me wrong. I am not a huge chocolate person so unless it is a PB Cup, snickers, or milky way dark, it will be left towards last. But I will eventually eat it all. I can not be trusted around candy of any kind.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    If anyone ever visits Grand Junction, CO, be sure to go to Main Street where there is a wonderful retro-candy shop.  It has all kinds of candy that was popular many years ago, but, alas, at modern prices.  They have been very successful!

http://candytimeshoppe.com/     Wax lips, anyone?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    If anyone ever visits Grand Junction, CO, be sure to go to Main Street where there is a wonderful retro-candy shop.  It has all kinds of candy that was popular many years ago, but, alas, at modern prices.  They have been very successful!

http://candytimeshoppe.com/     Wax lips, anyone?

I remember getting wax lips a couple of times in my trick or treat bag! 
  • Oh yes, and I'm envious of you Canadians and your Coffee Crisp. I love Coffee Crisp and have not been able to find it for the past few years.
  • Oh yes, and I'm envious of you Canadians and your Coffee Crisp. I love Coffee Crisp and have not been able to find it for the past few years.
    I'll send you my Coffee Crisp- I think they are just "meh". I will absolutely eat them if they are sitting in a bowl in front of me, but I'd happily make a trade with you ;).