Wedding Woes
Options

Ceramic coated skillets

Has anyone bought of these?  Any good brands/bad brands? 

Our skillet has bit the dust and needs to be replaced.  It's been a decade since I've bought anything.

Re: Ceramic coated skillets

• Options
    Curious on why ceramic? Have you considered cast iron? They last much longer.
  • Options
    I have a nice Zwilling ceramic and I love the hell out of it. Much more durable than traditional non-stick, stupid easy to clean (unlike cast iron, which I find to be a PITA to clean), and just cooks things nicely. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my cast iron, but there are days it's just too much hassle.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

I'm interested in this too.

@MissKittyDanger cast iron can't be used on a lot of stovetops (particularly if they're glass tops). I think ceramic coated are a little more versatile and easy to clean.

• Options

I LOVE ceramic coated skillets.  I bought a cheap one from Walmart a few years ago.  NOTHING sticks to them.

Confession:  I usually "wash" it by taking a paper towel and wiping it (unless I was cooking raw meat).  There is just nothing on it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lodge has a ceramic line.

I personally don't like the ceramics, but it's b/c I think I'm hard on things and I always end up chipping it.
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  oh I didn't know that! I was raised with cast iron pans, but my parents didn't have the glass tops.
    Cleaning depends. Cast iron as long as you rinse it once you're done with it isn't an issue I find
  • Options
    I think SO has a green pan. It's super nice and crazy non stick. Unfortunately the one he bought is gigantic, so I often cook with our regular skillet instead. I probably should just go buy a smaller version of the same pan. 

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Lodge has a ceramic line.

I personally don't like the ceramics, but it's b/c I think I'm hard on things and I always end up chipping it.

This.

Cast iron 4ever.

• Options
    i was watching one of those ceramic coated copper skillet/pot infomercials, and i kind of want one. they made caramel and just wiped it out.  
  • Options
    I dont trust my husband with cast iron. I actually need a huge one and the one I looked at was so light compared to the Teflon we have. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    i was watching one of those ceramic coated copper skillet/pot infomercials, and i kind of want one. they made caramel and just wiped it out.  
    They always have the copper "as seen on TV!" pans at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I'm tempted to get one every time I go in.  

• Options
    Why can't you use cast iron on glass?
  • Options
    It can scratch or even crack the glasstop (especially if dropped).

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    It can scratch or even crack the glasstop (especially if dropped).
    I had a feeling that's what it was. I love cooking in cast iron though. 
  • Options
    I keep reading this title as Ceramic coated Skittles and I'm thinking ouch that would really hurt my teeth. Maybe I just need candy. 
  • Options
    Yes, you can use cast iron on glass cook tops. My mom has done it for the last 15 years. She hasn't broken or scratched anything yet. Sure, you don't want to drop it on the stove top, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. 

I would shy away from ceramic-coated skillets. I have a ceramic-coated cast iron dutch oven, and it is chipping on the bottom. Typically, I am much harder on skillets than the pot, what with scraping the bottom and stuff, so I'd be really worried about ruining it. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I keep reading this title as Ceramic coated Skittles and I'm thinking ouch that would really hurt my teeth. Maybe I just need candy. 
    I was just about to comment on that, too. I've been reading it as Skittles all day.

--Philip Pullman

• Options
    We got a Calphalon ceramic set for a wedding present. We haven't had them long but every time we've used one since then it's been amazing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yes, you can use cast iron on glass cook tops. My mom has done it for the last 15 years. She hasn't broken or scratched anything yet. Sure, you don't want to drop it on the stove top, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. 

This! We hesitated to use the cast iron on our glasstop, but no issues so far.  I just make sure to pick it up and move it over the counter if I'm going to be turning it or anything (to drain or transfer to a bowl). 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    mrsconn23 said:

This! We hesitated to use the cast iron on our glasstop, but no issues so far.  I just make sure to pick it up and move it over the counter if I'm going to be turning it or anything (to drain or transfer to a bowl). 

Good to know!! Thank you ladies! I'd always heard you couldn't, so I've been scared to try. I'll just be careful in that case :smiley:

ETF words

• Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016
    Another vote for cast iron on glass.  NBD, unless you're planning to throw it or something.
  • Options
    I do want cast iron, but I know my husband will ruin it.  It's better to just skip the fight.
  • Options
    Cast iron is really easy to clean.  I only have experience with Lodge, but it's all pre-seasoned now.  When I finish cooking, I just throw a cup of water in it to boil off all the crap in the bottom (if there's even any that stuck) and wipe it out.  You can even re-season it if you have to, but I think I only did that once (it IS a PITA, but after I did it, I could even run my cast iron through the dishwasher).
  • Options
    I just ate a bag of skittles from one of my kid's Halloween candy.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    I just ate a bag of skittles from one of my kid's Halloween candy.
    I've had 5 thanks to this thread 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Good to know!! Thank you ladies! I'd always heard you couldn't, so I've been scared to try. I'll just be careful in that case :smiley:

ETF words

And even with kids in the house helping cook, no one ever broke it! Sure did break plenty of plates and cups and bowls, but never the cook top. 
  • Options
    I have this and absolutely love it.  It's more deep than wide - but I can cook 90% of my food on it.
    http://www.copperchef.com/

• Options
    We have this one.

We love it.   The key is to season the pan.  The first one we got we didn't and it broken down after a while.  This one we seasoned like you are suppose to and it's been great for years now.    

We mostly use it for eggs and grilled cheese.   We have All-clad and cast-iron skillets for other uses.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @Lyndausvi, I have that one too.  It's good, but the one I have is fairly small and shallow.  I got it when it first came out, so they may have larger models now?  We use that for smaller food items too.  That and the copper chef!