Wedding Woes
Options

Ceramic coated skillets

2»

Re: Ceramic coated skillets

• Options
    @Lyndausvi, I have that one too.  It's good, but the one I have is fairly small and shallow.  I got it when it first came out, so they may have larger models now?  We use that for smaller food items too.  That and the copper chef!
    not sure what sizes they have.  We have the 12 inch one.  We have a 6 inch Te-Fal non-stick.    They work well for just the 2 of us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I looked into this extensively. I bought new pans this year. 
    Cast iron is meant to cook amazing but if your like me and never used one its scary - plus I'm vegetarian and there meant to be the best for cooking meat so I thought it was over kill for me plus there much more expensive.
    So in terms of eco-credentials ceramic is better than teflon, however the harmful chemical that was in teflon is now outlawed in most places and most brands removed them. 
    Having said that after readying a huge amount online about it most reviews and comparative websites Said that ceramic is much more sensitive - that you need to use a lower heat to start then turn up higher and that the ceramic coating wont last as long.
    Most also said that was the way to get your teflon to last longer too.
    So apparently the pans that are a mix of both are the best. They look like black pans with white dots all over them.

Whatever you do you should always heat the pan slowly low heat first then up to protect them?
  • Options
    Cast iron is meant to cook amazing but if your like me and never used one its scary - plus I'm vegetarian and there meant to be the best for cooking meat so I thought it was over kill for me plus there much more expensive.
    So in terms of eco-credentials ceramic is better than teflon, however the harmful chemical that was in teflon is now outlawed in most places and most brands removed them. 
    Having said that after readying a huge amount online about it most reviews and comparative websites Said that ceramic is much more sensitive - that you need to use a lower heat to start then turn up higher and that the ceramic coating wont last as long.
    So apparently the pans that are a mix of both are the best. They look like black pans with white dots all over them.

Whatever you do you should always heat the pan slowly low heat first then up to protect them?
    For reference, I've made amazing veggies in the cast iron pan and actually made more veggies than meat in it.
  • Options

For reference, I've made amazing veggies in the cast iron pan and actually made more veggies than meat in it.
    Cast iron pans are awesome for fried or roasted potatoes. Also, my Dad has been known to make eggs in his cast-iron pan.
  • Options

Cast iron pans are awesome for fried or roasted potatoes. Also, my Dad has been known to make eggs in his cast-iron pan.
    Heck yea! I use non-coated cast iron skillets exclusively. So anything that would get cooked in a non-stick or any other type of skillet gets cooked in cast iron.  Eggs, pancakes, meat, stir fry, green beans, carmelized onions, rice-a-roni/rice pilaf-type dishes, etc. 

All my cast iron is Lodge, which is a fairly inexpensive brand. I bought my biggest skillet at Fred Meyer for $50-$60. I don't know how that compares in price to a standard skillet, but cast iron lasts forever while non-stick wear out and need replacing every few years, no matter how careful you are to not use metal. 
  • Options

Heck yea! I use non-coated cast iron skillets exclusively. So anything that would get cooked in a non-stick or any other type of skillet gets cooked in cast iron.  Eggs, pancakes, meat, stir fry, green beans, carmelized onions, rice-a-roni/rice pilaf-type dishes, etc. 

All my cast iron is Lodge, which is a fairly inexpensive brand. I bought my biggest skillet at Fred Meyer for $50-$60. I don't know how that compares in price to a standard skillet, but cast iron lasts forever while non-stick wear out and need replacing every few years, no matter how careful you are to not use metal. 
    All of this.  When I make eggs, they always turn out better in cast iron.  Great for veggies, especially sautéing or caramelizing.  I've had mine since we got married, which is 10+ years now, and if anything they're better than ever. 
  • Options

My dad use to make fried potatoes too! My mum hated when he did it because it was a lot of vegetable oil, but they were sooooo good :)
  • Options
    You guys just convinced me to add "cast iron skillet" on my Christmas list.  Even though I'm still in love with the copperchef.

• Options
    For cast iron aficionados: look into the vintage stuff!  I was never a big fan of cast iron before I got my antique one.  The pre-1940s ones are lighter and stronger and less porous than modern equivalents. 
  • Options
    For cast iron aficionados: look into the vintage stuff!  I was never a big fan of cast iron before I got my antique one.  The pre-1940s ones are lighter and stronger and less porous than modern equivalents. 
    This.     Although ours is newer, my dad still has his mom's that was a wedding gift. (grandparents got married in the thirties)   I hoping because DH is the only chef in the family they will leave it to us when they pass.

Yep, I'm one of those kids who is putting my name on items.  I'm so bad.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

There is a store on my drive home that recently opened up called "Kitchen Witch" for "seasoned cookware".  I don't know what that means.  Are they selling used pots/pans?  Antique cookware?

After those thoughts, I assumed it was a money laundering operation, lol.  But perhaps there really is a market for such things.

FYI, this is not a chi-chi (sp?) part of town where people are going to drop $250 on an old pan.  I've found the whole thing so confusing, I might just have to wander in one day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

There is a store on my drive home that recently opened up called "Kitchen Witch" for "seasoned cookware".  I don't know what that means.  Are they selling used pots/pans?  Antique cookware?

After those thoughts, I assumed it was a money laundering operation, lol.  But perhaps there really is a market for such things.

FYI, this is not a chi-chi (sp?) part of town where people are going to drop $250 on an old pan.  I've found the whole thing so confusing, I might just have to wander in one day.

Love Kitchen Witch in the FQ!  DH has found so many good cookbooks in there.  Even the random neighborhood or church ones can be good.  

Never have bought cookware, but yeah, there is a market for old cookware.   DH just started collection. 

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

Love Kitchen Witch in the FQ!  DH has found so many good cookbooks in there.  Even the random neighborhood or church ones can be good.  

Never have bought cookware, but yeah, there is a market for old cookware.   DH just started collection. 

Oh!  I've never seen it in the FQ or heard of it.  Thanks for elaborating.

Now there is one on Broad St., in Mid-City, also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    lyndausvi said:

Oh!  I've never seen it in the FQ or heard of it.  Thanks for elaborating.

Now there is one on Broad St., in Mid-City, also.

It's on Toulouse St. between Charles and Royal.  

Or it was there.   Seems like every 6 months things move around.