Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

*DH is sick.  Probably strep.  I will stab him if he shares. With any of us. 
*I think we have another leak issue in the boys bathroom.  
*I left the one Christmas present that I've purchased so far on the table after I brought it in yesterday to hide it.  DefConn found it and then cried because I lied and told him it was for charity.  I told him to ask Santa for one. Mom of the Year right here. 

And, it's only Tuesday. *le sigh*  At least I'm off work tomorrow. 

Re: Tuesday

• Options

I feel like I have nothing positive to say this morning.  Debbie Downer right here.

* I think I may be getting sick.  Everything feels bleak, which is usually how I feel right before I come down with something.

* My children were monsters yesterday.  DS lost iPad before we even made it out of DC. 

* We had to do that stupid "disguise a turkey" thing for DS's class project, and when I asked what he wanted to do, of course he said "anglerfish."  Of course.  I got black cardstock and chalk pens, and we got to work.  I don't love the result.  I asked DH to turn it in during drop off this morning so I would stop second guessing myself over a preschool project.

* I'm burned out.  I know my mom's cancer is 1000% harder for her than it is for me, I totally get that.  But right now I am basically doing all the stuff that a spouse would normally do for her, so it's like having two spouses (one of whom is seriously ill), two young kids, and a full-time job. 

* Because of the above, I am officially out of PTO, which has never happened to me before.  I'm fortunate that I made it this far, but it's still a crap feeling.

* My counterpart is here from France, and I have zero enthusiasm.  He doesn't have a meeting agenda or anything, so I don't know if he was over here for vacation or something business related and just decided to pop in, or what.  But I am not in the mood to hang out with him just because, with no actual objective.  He's not cute/funny/interesting enough for that.

On the plus side, DS and I are making a Trader Joe's run while Wooz is at art tonight.  So that's something. 

Also, I have to buy Wooz a wetsuit for swim.  She is shivering violently and her instructor suggested a wetsuit might help. 

• Options
    ((hugs)) Heffa.  That's a shit-ton of stuff to have on your plate.   I also love that you were fretting over the turkey.  I get that way when *big* things are affecting me...I find the small thing and nitpick the shit out of it. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 - hope the leak is an inexpensive fix and your H's strep clears up quickly.

@ShesSoCold - you're definitely adulting right - if I try one new recipe in a week I'm all proud of myself.

Last night we heard that H's aunt had a massive heart attack and was med-flighted to a hospital downtown. She's in the ICU and was still unconscious as of late last night. The docs were treating her with ice to bring her core temp down. We haven't received any updates this morning...hoping that means good news.
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 - hope the leak is an inexpensive fix and your H's strep clears up quickly.

@ShesSoCold - you're definitely adulting right - if I try one new recipe in a week I'm all proud of myself.

Last night we heard that H's aunt had a massive heart attack and was med-flighted to a hospital downtown. She's in the ICU and was still unconscious as of late last night. The docs were treating her with ice to bring her core temp down. We haven't received any updates this morning...hoping that means good news.

@sparklepants41, lots of healing vibes for your H's aunt.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

@sparklepants41, lots of healing vibes for your H's aunt.
    Thank you!
  • Options

Oh no, sparklepants, hugs and good thoughts coming at ya.

Heffa, that is a ton on your plate, both emotionally and physically and you are entitled to your feelings and they're very valid. I know it's hard but try to take some time to take  care of yourself. Hugs.

Congrats on the job, Varuna!! Hopefully this will help a little with the shittyness of this time of year for you.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Congrats Varuna!!  I'm happy you found a job.  Do you still have apps out for other jobs? 
  • Options
    Sending positive vibes to @Heffalump and @sparklepants41.

@thefanciestbeckler: happy birthday to your H!

My cold turned from "awful" to "on the mend" overnight, so that is a plus. Particularly since I have two in-person customer-facing events today.  

The first one is a huge site tour, both in potential dollar value and also in actual size of the delegation touring.  Typical groups will have 1-3 decision makers on a tour, giant would be 8-12, and this is somewhere around 60 people!  The whole sales team is pitching in (this isn't my market segment) and we are going to break the mega-group up into smaller groups and each take our respective people around.  The whole thing can only take 15 minutes, so here's hoping things go smoothly.

Second is a client happy hour I am throwing.  It could be tiny--I asked people invited by email to RSVP, and only 4 did.  Or it could be huge--I invited some people verbally, and a bunch of current hotel guests by written note card with no RSVP request.  I am crossing my fingers that I get at least 10 people.  That is my mental line between "not a success" and "moderately successful."  But nobody on the team has done one of these in years, so I have no idea what to expect.
  • Options
    @mrsconn23  I feel like every parent has lied about a gift at some point :') DefConn will be extra happy at xmas at least ;)

@ShesSoCold  wanna come cook at my place?

@Heffalump  *hugs* <3

@thefanciestbeckler  happy 31st to your H!

@sparklepants41  Vibes for your H's aunt!

@VarunaTT  yay!!! :smiley:  good luck!!

Not much last night. Picked up prescription and got a dose in once we were home. I opted to do both eyes because my other eye seems to be acting like a jerk. Dr said it's not uncommon for other eye to get infected as well.
    Since I slept like crap with my eye bugging me, I ended up falling asleep on the couch for an hour and half. Usually this means I wouldn't sleep well at night, but I crashed early.

Tonight I'm cleaning the bathrooms and wiping down all handles to ensure H doesn't get pink eye. He's making dinner while I do this.

Sad news came across my FB feed, some jerk in my city spray painted a swastika on a Jewish prayer center :( Horrible! I hope the community can gather and make it right. After a terrorist shooting in my city 2yrs ago, some people had graffiti'd hate on a mosque. Then the community came and cleaned it up for them.

So heart breaking :(
  • Options

Sparklepants - Healthy vibes for your H's aunt.

Heffa - Try to take as much care of yourself as you can.  Are you able to take Family leave at all?  Can you do it in such a way that you work a few days and take FMLA the other days each week?

Varuna - good luck in the new job!  Hopefully it will help with your funk that you feel stuck in.

We got good news for Betsey last night!  Her shoulders are loosened enough that the Ortho Vet doesn't feel a need for any further treatment or visits!  Thank God!  I think the last week at my parents' house really helped her since she had to do steps more.  She is due for her annual appointment at our regular vet, but I will schedule that for a few weeks from now to give us some breathing room!

Otherwise, not much going on for us.  It was my niece's birthday yesterday and my sister is saving me a piece of the birthday cake!  Yum!  I will pick it up tonight!

• Options
    Congrats on the job, @VarunaTT!!  I took a "just because I needed a job" job almost two years ago, and it turned out better than I ever would have expected. I am still here, I have moved up, and I am (mostly) loving it.  I still don't think I will be in this exact line of work forever, but who knows...

But anyway, having a job is great, getting paid more is great, and having other irons in the fire is great!
  • Options
    Hugs @sparklepants41, hoping for good news.

Congrats, @VarunaTT!

So.  Toothless is in heart failure.  I took him in around midnight last night, didn't get home til 4am.  Exhausted.  Sad.  Numb.

His new cardiologist has been really vague about how he's doing, but the fact that she wants to put him on two new meds and doesn't think he can tolerate more x-rays is worrisome.  He tolerated them fine last night, but I'm not a vet and haven't seen him since I dropped him off at ER vet #2 at 3am (because when I called the first place and said "heart failure," they neglected to tell me the only cardiologist on staff is at a different location on the other side of the city).  They want $3000, on top of the $1300 I paid last night, for continued treatment and observation.  

I don't know if I can justify that amount of money without seeing him and judging for myself, especially since the new vet sounds more pessimistic than optimistic.  His old cardiologist just called and she sounded far, far more optimistic, and that all he needs is a new med adjustment.  So now I am frustrated, as well as conflicted.

If he is at end-of-life, I'd rather he spend one more night at home as comfortable as possible, and then DH and I go and say goodbye tomorrow at the local vet.  Not that delaying the inevitable hard decision will make it any easier a choice to make, or any less painful.  But I'd rather not have to do it alone.

But if all he needs is a med adjustment...

So I'm at work, on 3 hours of sleep, trying my hardest not to ugly cry (failing) in the middle of these stupid meetings that I stupidly scheduled to stupidly try to figure out how to do my stupid new job.  I'm tapping out after my next meeting to go see him and make a decision.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Hugs and good vibes to you @Heffalump & @AtomicBlonde!!!
  • Options
    I am so sorry, @AtomicBlonde.  That is awful and hard and I wish you strength and luck.  The money part of it is just such shit, too.  No words of advice or comfort, just internet hugs.
  • Options

Thanks, y'all.  I'm sure things will start looking up.  In the meantime, I guess DS and I will have to pick up a jar of cookie butter tonight.  :)

Wooz's wetsuit is killing me.  SO,SO with her proportions: a 7/8 is barely tall enough, but recommended for someone who weighs 15-20 lbs more than she does.  I'm afraid if it's baggy, it will defeat the purpose, but there's no way she's fitting into a 6/6X--the inseam is way too short.  FWP...

Sad news came across my FB feed, some jerk in my city spray painted a swastika on a Jewish prayer center :( Horrible! I hope the community can gather and make it right. After a terrorist shooting in my city 2yrs ago, some people had graffiti'd hate on a mosque. Then the community came and cleaned it up for them.

So heart breaking :(

I have thoughts I'm having a hard time articulating re: the election.  Y'all know my position.  And TBH, I'm a lot better equipped to ride out the storm than a lot of people: I'm white, straight, and a citizen, so to quote Aaron Sorkin, "Our family is fairly insulated from the effects of a Trump presidency."  (Although since my brother is about to convert to Islam and Trump has previously proposed a ban on Muslims entering the U.S., we may end up somewhat less insulated.)

But then people like my neighbor post that everyone needs to just calm down and stop overreacting re: Trump, and I want to say "That's easy for you or me to say [see above], but try wearing a hijab, or being a member of an ethnic group written off as "They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”  Or "You live in your poverty, your schools are no good. You have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?" I could go on, but y'all know what I'm saying.

Neighbor's posts basically read as "I'm not personally affected so everyone should just STFU and move on" and I'm struggling with the best way to refute that, and wondering if anyone will hear me anyway.  Sigh.

• Options
    @Heffalump  Typically when I see posts like one you mentioned, I just ignore it. People like that would surprise me if they listened to reasoning on why they should care.
    People keep making references to lower income/poverty areas but where this happened is actually in a quite high end area. People are just hateful, doesn't matter where it is :(
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    DefConn found it and then cried because I lied and told him it was for charity.  I told him to ask Santa for one. Mom of the Year right here.  

This made me LOL. Totally something my mom would do. I hope the leak is an easy fix!

I'm so tired. Last night H didn't get home until like 8 so we didn't eat until 9. Tried two new recipes and they were both really good, which is always nice. H was mad about stirring risotto until he started eating it.

Got another new recipe in the crock pot right now. How boring and adult-y are we that our idea of *crazy* is four new recipes in one week?

Oh, that would be Bravo!!!  And major accomplishment in my household.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hugs, @AtomicBlonde.  *supportive vibes* for making whatever decision is the best for Toothless.
  • Options
    Hugs AtomicBlonde. 
  • Options

@Heffalump, I'm sorry you have so much on your plate right now.  The least your work could do is send a French colleague who is handsome and charming, instead of further draining your day.

On the election, I was just having similar thoughts yesterday.  As upset as I am about it, the only "disadvantaged" group I belong to is female.  I don't have to fear violence because of my race/religion/sexual orientation/immigration status.  But that is a LOT of people who do and I've been sickened at the immediate increase in violence/harassment against those groups.

I also heard in the 60 Minutes Trump interview that, if the Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade in the future and abortions become illegal in some states, women can just go to another state.  I know, right?  Because it is so easy for young, impoverished women to just take a few days off work.  Take a bus/drive to another state and rent a hotel room for a few nights.  Perhaps he is planning to loan them his private jet.   

@sparklepants41, I hope your H's aunt is okay.

@AtomicBlonde, I am so sorry to hear about Toothless!  I really hope just a tweak in his medication will give him the bounce back he needs.

Work is slightly more tolerable today because I almost got enough sleep and the big boss isn't in.  The new windows are going in at my new duplex today.  All $4800 worth of them...oooouuucchhh.  The biggest ticket item on my rehab list.  At least now it will be a race to finish to get our part of the repairs done and get some tenants in there.  I wish I could say we are close, it is still a long road.  Hopefully no more than a month and I'm hoping more on the 2-3 week side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     :'( Lots of hugs, @AtomicBlonde.  I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

@Heffalump  you have been through so much, and it is so incredibly hard being the caretaker.   You deserve some you time.

@mrsconn23 's H, @MissKittyDanger - hope everyone is feeling better soon.

@sparklepants41 that is so scary - I hope everyone is okay.

@AtomicBlonde I'm so sorry about Toothless, that is so hard.  I hope it's just a medication switch, and once you find out, treat yourself to an ugly cry!

• Options
    Oh and congrats @VarunaTT!  I hope this is the start of a new streak of good luck for you!