Wedding Etiquette Forum



Re: Deleted

  • Bottom line: Please, PLEASE do not invite people to your wedding if they don't get to see the ceremony. That is the whole freaking point of inviting guests to your wedding, to witness your marriage. The reception is the thank you for them doing so! Embrace having the ceremony with everyone sitting at the reception tables if that is the only way to have them all there. The side-eye you may (which I doubt) get for that is nothing compared to the hurt you may (very likely!) cause by not inviting people to see you get married.
    I'm going to disagree here a little.   Inviting guests to a party that EVERYONE is hosted the same is not rude.  That even includes celebrating a wedding that took place earlier in the day and you didn't get to witness.  Doesn't mean you can't be disappointed for not witnessing the event, but at this point you are being invited to a party.  With free food, booze and entertainment.  Much like a graduation party that only a few people could actually witness, but many more come celebrate at a party later.

    Hosting guests differently (like evening guests does) is wrong.  Having tiered parties is wrong.   Like I told the OP earlier,  inviting some 80 people and not the other 120 is wrong also.  But a very small, few person ceremony and then a larger party later is not against etiquette.  

    The key here is to host everyone the same and not have some 40 percent get to witness something the other 60 percent can't.

    What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards