Wedding Woes

Turkey Tuesday!

Counting down to the big day!  As of yesterday, I think I have all of our ingredients.  (Assuming my neighbor brings back the ground ginger she borrowed last night, but I'm not too worried--I know where she lives!)

My poor mom is really disappointed about not going to Florida.  I think it's worse because of my grandma's NPH, which is progressing slowly but surely.  So for every holiday, my mom is like "This may be her last __________," which makes it even suckier to miss it.  I'm going to drive up there Thanksgiving morning, after breakfast, to hang out with her for a few hours before I do Thanksgiving at home.  (I can't even bring her Thanksgiving dinner, because she is still on her bland GI diet.  Her antibiotic is a 30-day course!)

Wooz is off tomorrow, so she and DH are doing a daddy-daughter day.  So far it's pottery painting and lunch.  :)  I'm just glad it's one less kid to get up, dressed, and out the door tomorrow.  S/O Wooz, since we're in town, we told her she could have a sleepover with one of her besties Friday night.  Then in the past 24 hours, we've gotten play date requests for Saturday and Sunday.  That girl is going to be busy this weekend.   

Re: Turkey Tuesday!

• I had to have a talk with one of Mouse's teachers this morning. They keep sending him home with food all over his clothes. We had to go buy more clothes because he's going through 2 sets of clothing a day. The older teacher in his room just can't seem to feed him without him ending up looking like a Jackson Pollock. It's infuriating that I have to spend so much time every night scrubbing his clothing when I don't have this issue when I feed him. I think we have a solution now though, so we'll see. 

A day and a half to go this week. Yay!
  • Morning!

DH deep cleaned the hell out of our bedroom and bathroom yesterday.  He also went on a rager about the kiddo's bedroom (which I've told him it's a hell hole for months now, but decided that closing the door was better way to keep my sanity vs. trying to fight a losing battle), so the kiddo was cleaning his room for 5 hours last night.  YAY cleanliness.  ;) 

I need to go to the store for milk, eggs, and some other odds and ends.  I also need to figure out another dip option since I had to throw away my sabra hummus. :(  OH! I just remembered that I have Trader Joe's spinach artichoke dip in the freezer.  

I have a half-day tomorrow.  w00t! I do have to work Friday.  womp, womp. 
  • @Heffalump  ahh the busy life of a tween ;) Hope she has fun on daddy-daughter day!!

@DrillSergeantCat  wtf people ... don't they use bibs? One would figure after having it happen once - maybe twice - they'd talk to you and your H about bringing in a larger one or something!

@mrsconn23  yay for cleaning!! Lol Have you looked into other brands of hummus? My boss loves hummus and had to toss her Sabra also.

Not much last night. M shoveled and we really regretted not having a screen door because ALL THE SNOW ON THE FRONT DOOR!! I was using my boots to kick it away from the entry part so I could get in. We're going to have to WD40 even around the lock because it's already starting to freeze :(

I think I need to keep with my drops, because I didn't today {assuming I was done because I did the 7 day thing} but it started getting itchy and irritated again. Guhhh ... I need baby scratch mitts to stop touching my eye lol

Not much tonight. I think I forgot to take anything out for dinner, so likely just winging it for dinner .... crap. Lol
  • @MissKittyDanger I took three bibs and they lost them all. He just shoves them in his mouth and covers them with whatever he's eating anyway so they're not that helpful. I suggested that I go buy some large t-shirts that they can put over top of his clothes.
  • @DrillSergeantCat  what about taking off his shirt when he eats?
  • @MissKittyDanger he's usually in a onesie so that would mean taking off shoes, pants and top. The teacher that I like (and haven't made cry) said that she'll go pull some shirts out of the center's laundry for him to use as a bib. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat  you've made other teachers cry? What happened!? lol
  • @MissKittyDanger, I may see what other hummus is out there, since I'm going to the store anyway...But I really like their roasted pine nut.   No one else has the same thing. :( I have other stuff to snack on too. 

• There were two Tuesday threads, so I'm picking this one!

Back to work today.  I feel much better.  I got a good nap in yesterday to help catch up on sleep I missed out on Sunday night. 

After work, I'm hitting up the grocery store.  It will probably be a crazy house, which is why I'm not going on my lunch.  There will be no way I can get in and out of there with travel time in an hour.  So I will take my time after work and deal with the crazies.  I did the day before Christmas Eve there once and I'm good at dealing with people being everywhere and all, but one lady certainly wasn't!  I heard her mutter while walking past me in the produce section "Where did all these people come from?" Uh, hello? There is a giant two day holiday coming up lady!

Not sure what else will go on tonight.  We may put together the sectional in the living room together, but we shall see.

We closed on the refi last night.  We are getting more money back than we anticipated, so yay!  That extra money will mean we can finally get the electric box upgraded to the proper size!  Hopefully we can get that done by the end of the year, we have an electrician who will do it on the side, so we are at the mercy of his schedule.  Our next payment isn't due until Jan 1st either, so we need to check in with our payment accelerator company to see how that will effect our payments to them. 

• Hello!

I'm making a list of things that need to be done before we leave for my parents' house tomorrow.  I have that I'm-going-to-forget-something feeling but I also don't know where I want to start.  I hate that.

I really just want to give myself a pedicure, but that's not part of the list.

• No one has taken me up on my offer to make a pie for TG, so I'm not going to volunteer again.  I'll bring a bottle of wine and be done with it.  

DH asked me the other night "What did you buy family members for Christmas?  We should take that up now since we might not get there again before the holidays."  I was like, "***girlface*** Wut?"  I still don't even know where to start with that conversation.  I kinda know why he asked, because I'm usually on top of gift giving and have most of my ducks in a row by now, but I'm also still floored because there's that implied expectation that it's all down to me to brainstorm, shop, and deliver for HIS EXTENDED family.  I can't even decide if I'm flattered that he trusts me that much or if my feathers are ruffled that he's so lazy. 

So... football paraphernalia for everyone?

And oh shit I still have to shop for my family.  They're not football fans.  More thought is required. Double facepalm.

Hiccup isn't eating.  I really hope it's just her being a brat and not something more serious.  She seems mostly okay, but it's noticeable she's not quite herself.  Maybe TG will be good for her.  There will be a few dogs there, so good chance for her to socialize and play.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Side note; No word on rest of the money, but HR was able to pull through for the money M asked for! Just means he'll be that short when he gets paid. Oh this sucks so hard ...
  • Oops, sorry ya'll!

@Heffalump your stories about Wooz crack me up!  She has a better social life than I do!

Congrats on closing @OliveOilsMom.

• DH asked me the other night "What did you buy family members for Christmas?  We should take that up now since we might not get there again before the holidays."  I was like, "***girlface*** Wut?"  I still don't even know where to start with that conversation.  I kinda know why he asked, because I'm usually on top of gift giving and have most of my ducks in a row by now, but I'm also still floored because there's that implied expectation that it's all down to me to brainstorm, shop, and deliver for HIS EXTENDED family.  I can't even decide if I'm flattered that he trusts me that much or if my feathers are ruffled that he's so lazy. 
    Amazon 2 day prime.  You can even figure it out on the 22nd :)   I heart amazon and what I call "drop shipping" directly to people I wont see in person.

Help me all, tonight is grocery shopping for my crackpot sides :smile: .  Although, I may want to hold off till later tonight when it dies down.  IF it dies down? I bet everyone in the world has tomorrow off too.  I want to time it where there are less shoppers (walmart supercenter), however, before they shut down all registers with actual people on them and only have the self check out open. I loathe self check outs. 

• @OliveOilsMom  yay refi going through and yay nap lol

@AtomicBlonde  dammit Hiccup, don't scare your mommy and eat your food :( I totally get where you're coming from about the gifts with your H. I'm typically one who ends up finding stuff for people in the past, so M now just figures I'll find something every year. Like ... thanks for trusting me, but can you put some effort into this too? Kthanks
  • @MissKittyDanger When Mouse was 5 months old, he started getting his bottom teeth. He wasn't sleeping, he was cranky, and was constantly rubbing his gums together. I took his Tylenol to daycare one day and filled out the proper form with all the dosing instructions as required. They have this app where they update his activity throughout the day and I'd noticed there hadn't been a medicine update, so I messaged the teachers and asked if he'd been given his Tylenol. I was told "I was always told that Motrin is better for teething. He's been okay though." When I went to pick him up, the daycare director asked what was wrong with him because he'd been cranky all day and that's not like him. I told her he was teething and she said I should bring Tylenol. I told her the story and showed her the message and she said that she'd talked to the teacher and asked her what was wrong with him and the teacher said, "His mom says he's teething, but I don't see any teeth." I'm livid, right? I mean, I know my baby, I can tell he's in pain, but she chose not to help him because she didn't like the medicine I brought??

The next morning she asks how he did the night before and I tell her that he was cranky and in pain and I gave him Tylenol. I also told her that my pediatrician does not allow ibuprofen under 6 months old. I told her I felt like she chose not to give him Tylenol because she felt like Motrin was better, but I'm his mother and if I say to give him something, give it to him. 

I, honestly, was so calm, didn't raise my voice, didn't swear, nothing. Then, she starts crying saying that she feels like I don't trust her with my baby anymore. I felt like I was being manipulated and later found out that crying is her MO to get herself out of trouble. It shouldn't have ended in tears, but...
  • @CharmedPam, I haven't been impressed with Amazon lately. I'm a Prime member and used to love it, but I've had a rash of extremely negative experiences with them this year, from having to pay for returns on items that were supposed to be eligible for "Free returns", not being able to get defective items replaced or exchanged, delivery and payment issues (e.g. request 1-day, everything is good through checkout, defaults back to 2-day), shipping issues (no, I do NOT and never have lived in the state of Washington, STOP SENDING SHIT THERE), subscribe and save items continuously going out of stock or dramatically up in price, gift card issues (no, we did not return that wedding gift to have it be automatically applied without our consent towards dog food on our subscribe and save), boxes being damaged, destroyed or lost and me finding out about it weeks after the fact but still being charged for items not received... And I typically stick with the "Shipped and Sold through Amazon" items, which are getting harder and harder to find.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I kind-of feel guilty all you ladies have so much on your plate leading up to Thanksgiving.      DH and I both work.  The good news is no cooking (well for me at least).  

The bad news, no leftovers.   :cry:   I love turkey, cranberry, stuffing on white bread or a baguette with light mayo sandwiches.  I will eat those for days.  I'm hoping DH has extra to send home to me.  

DH isn't really into turkey, plus he is working (lunch and dinner) right through Sunday. He isn't around anyway.   So making a turkey with all the fixing just for leftovers would be a waste.

It's a cloudy, cool, wet day.   I will do a spin class later and then do rainy day stuff like watching stupid movies.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat  that's ridiculous! If you wrote down and gave stuff to them, they should have followed what you said. I'm guessing teeth hadn't broken through yet?
    Poor Mouse :( I hope she learned and didn't do that to other kids, that's crazy!
  • @MissKittyDanger No they hadn't broken through, that's the painful part, and why she said she didn't see any teeth. You could hear them, though, when he ground his gums. I think all she learned is to ask the other teacher to tell me stuff.
  • @CharmedPam, I haven't been impressed with Amazon lately. I'm a Prime member and used to love it, but I've had a rash of extremely negative experiences with them this year, from having to pay for returns on items that were supposed to be eligible for "Free returns", not being able to get defective items replaced or exchanged, delivery and payment issues (e.g. request 1-day, everything is good through checkout, defaults back to 2-day), shipping issues (no, I do NOT and never have lived in the state of Washington, STOP SENDING SHIT THERE), subscribe and save items continuously going out of stock or dramatically up in price, gift card issues (no, we did not return that wedding gift to have it be automatically applied without our consent towards dog food on our subscribe and save), boxes being damaged, destroyed or lost and me finding out about it weeks after the fact but still being charged for items not received... And I typically stick with the "Shipped and Sold through Amazon" items, which are getting harder and harder to find.
    oh yikes!  You have it way worse than I do.  Now that you mention it shipping has been really bad lately.  The last prime order I made took 3 days (I was to lazy to go to the store for tampons and had JUST enough for 2 days.  That was the one time I needed it in 2 days!) and lately everything i return never gets inputted in their system as 'received' and then I have to go through customer service and be like "uh yeah. you got it.  don't charge me again for it!"

they USED to be the cheapest place to buy things, but you really gotta look at prices too.

• @Heffalump - I totally read NPH as Neil Patrick Harris. 
  • I had to have a talk with one of Mouse's teachers this morning. They keep sending him home with food all over his clothes. We had to go buy more clothes because he's going through 2 sets of clothing a day. The older teacher in his room just can't seem to feed him without him ending up looking like a Jackson Pollock. It's infuriating that I have to spend so much time every night scrubbing his clothing when I don't have this issue when I feed him. I think we have a solution now though, so we'll see. 

A day and a half to go this week. Yay!

At the risk of oversimplifying, would it be easier if you just got him a separate set of DC clothes that you didn't care about?  Get him a 5-pk of onesies when Carters has a 50% off sale or something (should be coming up, with Black Friday and all) and spare yourself the extra work? 

(ETA:  looks like they started early!)

mrsconn23 said:

I need to go to the store for milk, eggs, and some other odds and ends.  I also need to figure out another dip option since I had to throw away my sabra hummus. :(  OH! I just remembered that I have Trader Joe's spinach artichoke dip in the freezer.  

Yeah, boooooo Sabra.  I'm thinking a lot of people are scrambling right now.  :(

tawillers said:

Hello!

I'm making a list of things that need to be done before we leave for my parents' house tomorrow.  I have that I'm-going-to-forget-something feeling but I also don't know where I want to start.  I hate that.

I really just want to give myself a pedicure, but that's not part of the list.

Get the pedicure!

@AtomicBlonde, DH used to say crazy shit like this.  I suggest perfecting your "Have you lost your goddamned mind?" stare.  After a while, DH started catching himself while he was saying something crazy, and correcting course mid-thought.  #progress

@DrillSergeantCat, that is some bullshit with DC.  She's lucky you didn't raise holy hell with the director.  Because you're right, my pedi doesn't recommend Motrin <6 months, either.  (After 6 months, though--heaven, especially at night!)  Disregarding written instructions from a parent re: medication is something the state probably doesn't look too kindly on, and I'm sure the director knows it.  Also, if that teacher is crying, maybe she's not ready for a grownup job.  (And god help her if she ever moves to the toddler room.)

• Well, my weight loss journey is over. 

Ive run out of Olympics in my DVR. I started working out 5 days a week at the beginning of august so just before the Olympics and I DVRed as much as the thing would hold. I've been watching them every workout since. And last night Russia won the team gold in rhythmic gymnastics and I'm all out. 

Today I called in sick for a second interview. I think it went well and I really hope to hear from them next week. So now I'm at home, baking and drinking coffee in my new wintery pajamas and wishing it were snowing and that my fireplace worked. 

Neil Patrick Harris was definitely my first thought too, Barbie. 

I like Tribe brand hummus and once bought their "everything" flavor because they were out of garlic and it's amazing. Like an everything bagel but 1000 x better. 

I hope everyone gets everything done and doesn't forget anything! At the store or en route to family. :)
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I laugh uproariously at the "2-day shipping" for Amazon Prime members.  They don't even pretend after checkout it is only going to take 2 days.  I've rarely had anything delivered in 2 days.  And it usually runs one day later than the shipping notification I get.

@DrillSergeantCat  what about taking off his shirt when he eats?

Confession.  I do that, or change to a grungy shirt, when I eat certain food items.  Like buffalo wings.  LMAO.  I just checked Amazon for larger-sized adult bibs as a joke.  They most certainly carry them.  But no train or rubber ducky patterns...at least not on the first page.

@AtomicBlonde, are there dog parks where you live?  If you see Hiccup is perked up at TG with other dogs around, maybe she just needs more socialization time for awhile.

If your H's extended family are all FB fans, I think favorite team paraphernalia is the perfect gift that is easy and quick to pick up for everyone, before heading out to see them.

I am hoping against hope I can get my weekly reports out today.  If so, I think I can take a vacation day tomorrow!!!  It's not a matter of "me".  It's a matter of that database crashed and burned on Friday, so I need our DB Admin. to fix it in time.  I will be harassing him after lunch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Short work weeks feel 1000X busier than normal weeks. I don't know where the day has gone. Packing tonight, on the road to Buffalo tomorrow. Hoping for no snow along the way. 

But in good work news I got a manuscript review back recommending revise and resubmit! 
  • Grandma having Neil Patrick Harris sounds much nicer than the actual condition.  Hope she is doing okay.

I have Thanksgiving Day off but have to work full days Wednesday and Friday. Boo.  FI and I are going to my parents' place Wednesday night after I get off and coming back Thursday night.  It will just be the 4 of us (mom, dad, me, fi).  My mom is a fantastic cook, so it is guaranteed to be phenomenal.

FI just booked work travel for two full weeks in mid-December.  He gets really lonely when he's on the road, particularly around the holidays, and I am considering booking myself a little weekend trip out to Boston to surprise him. I know for a fact that he would be into it--he directly said "I wish you could come that weekend"--but it still sounds a little like something I would side eye as clingy/controlling in a rom com.

• @DrillSergeantCat  what about taking off his shirt when he eats?

Confession.  I do that, or change to a grungy shirt, when I eat certain food items.  Like buffalo wings.  LMAO.  I just checked Amazon for larger-sized adult bibs as a joke.  They most certainly carry them.  But no train or rubber ducky patterns...at least not on the first page.
    My SFIL uses an apron because he's notoriously messy with some foods. My nana wears a large napkin. Usually draped over her boobs because she 'feeds them too much already' {she's 88 and makes me laugh so much lmao}