Wedding Woes

Tuesday (Bluesday)

2»

Re: Tuesday (Bluesday)

• Random question, does anyone else use the Downy Unstoppables?
    I've been using them for awhile, but last night I went to hang laundry and what seemed like all of them didn't dissolve, so I have to rewash a bunch of things {obviously it's my darks load too ....}

Anyone have any idea WHY they didn't dissolve or had this happen?
    M thinks water level wasn't high enough, I'm wondering if maybe it was too heavy of a load.
    I had to stop using them because they weren't dissolving in several load types.  I started adding a little white vinegar in with my detergent and use scented fabric softner.  That seems to help the scent stay fresh. 
    I've been using them for awhile, but last night I went to hang laundry and what seemed like all of them didn't dissolve, so I have to rewash a bunch of things {obviously it's my darks load too ....}

M thinks water level wasn't high enough, I'm wondering if maybe it was too heavy of a load.
    I use them - and have not had this happen. Our washer is front loading, if that helps at all. Try using them in a smaller load and see if that happens? 
  • tawillers said:

Conn, you can also always pick up the 3ft twix bar!  That was a big hit at one of our parties a couple years ago (for some reason)!

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Caramel-Chocolate-Cookie-32-22-Ounce/dp/B00PROW6TM?th=1

Oh :(.  I thought it was a 3 foot long Twix cookie bar.  Instead of 3 feet of normal sized Twix bars.  I'm sure that's more practical.  But not nearly as fun!  I saw 1 lb. Reese's Peanut Butter cups at Rite Aid on Sat.  Each cup was a 1/2 lb.  They were enormous.

The part of a reno nobody ever talks about.  The crazy money spent on "little stuff".  My H placed an online order for door knobs, hinges, Gorilla glue, and some other goo at Home Depot.  Asked me to pick up the order on my way home last night.  $207!!!  For door knobs, hinges, and various goo's.  It was 12 door knobs, but still.  Over $200, lol.  Geez.

I had the worst nightmare of my life last night.  Super, super scary.  Felt super, super real.  I was in a hospital on an operating table and I was dying.  I could hear the doctors talking about me and talking to me.  They were telling me to "Hang on. Stay with us." And telling each other, "We're losing her!"

I had the dream close to when I was walking up anyway.  At a couple points in the dream, I had my eyes half open and was confused because it looked like I was in my bedroom, but I "knew" I was in the hospital.  I finally started waking up a little bit.  My H was already up and I could hear him coming in from outside.  I called to him and asked him if I was home.  I was like, "Really?  I'm home?  I'm not in the hospital?"  He could see I still wasn't quite "with it" and assured me I was home.  He also pointed out that our dog, Izzy, was right behind me and a hospital wouldn't let a dog be in my room.  I was so thankful and relieved that I was safe at home, but also surprised.  I was just so positive I was really in a hospital.

I know, I know it was just a dream.  But I'm still having trouble shaking it off!  Though I realize in my awakeness that my dream exactly resembled a scene like you would see in a medical drama as opposed to real life.  Because I've never worked in the medical field, so what else would I know, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tawillers said:

Conn, you can also always pick up the 3ft twix bar!  That was a big hit at one of our parties a couple years ago (for some reason)!

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Caramel-Chocolate-Cookie-32-22-Ounce/dp/B00PROW6TM?th=1

Oh :(.  I thought it was a 3 foot long Twix cookie bar.  Instead of 3 feet of normal sized Twix bars.  I'm sure that's more practical.  But not nearly as fun!  I saw 1 lb. Reese's Peanut Butter cups at Rite Aid on Sat.  Each cup was a 1/2 lb.  They were enormous.

The part of a reno nobody ever talks about.  The crazy money spent on "little stuff".  My H placed an online order for door knobs, hinges, Gorilla glue, and some other goo at Home Depot.  Asked me to pick up the order on my way home last night.  $207!!!  For door knobs, hinges, and various goo's.  It was 12 door knobs, but still.  Over $200, lol.  Geez.

I had the worst nightmare of my life last night.  Super, super scary.  Felt super, super real.  I was in a hospital on an operating table and I was dying.  I could hear the doctors talking about me and talking to me.  They were telling me to "Hang on. Stay with us." And telling each other, "We're losing her!"

I had the dream close to when I was walking up anyway.  At a couple points in the dream, I had my eyes half open and was confused because it looked like I was in my bedroom, but I "knew" I was in the hospital.  I finally started waking up a little bit.  My H was already up and I could hear him coming in from outside.  I called to him and asked him if I was home.  I was like, "Really?  I'm home?  I'm not in the hospital?"  He could see I still wasn't quite "with it" and assured me I was home.  He also pointed out that our dog, Izzy, was right behind me and a hospital wouldn't let a dog be in my room.  I was so thankful and relieved that I was safe at home, but also surprised.  I was just so positive I was really in a hospital.

I know, I know it was just a dream.  But I'm still having trouble shaking it off!  Though I realize in my awakeness that my dream exactly resembled a scene like you would see in a medical drama as opposed to real life.  Because I've never worked in the medical field, so what else would I know, lol. 

So much this. When we picked out new hardware for the kitchen (hinges, knobs for drawers, light covers) I had the same feeling. At first I was like "Oh great, they're only $2-4 a piece. Yay for me for not picking expensive ones." Except we needed dozens for how many cabinets we had and it was roughly $250. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    Two days ago I was about to book a summer trip to Gatlinburg and got distracted.  I have a week from RCI I need to book for this summer and I'm having a heck of a time.

Look into Massanutten, VA.  There is a large resort complex there in the mountains.  Also, it's not too far from DC.  My former boss and one of my closest work friends is our on-site rep there.  If you want more info, I can hit her up for some details and things to do in the area.  DH and I are considering a trip there next year.  
    My sister went there last year and it's an every 5 year place. 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016
    tawillers said:

I had one of these over the Thanksgiving weekend.  Which is unusual, because DH is usually Mr. Crazy Dreams, and I'm like "I dreamed I was at the store and they were completely out of every kind of milk." 

I dreamed that I was driving, and DS was in the back seat, on the passenger side.  (He's usually directly behind me.)  We were on the interstate, and the car in the next lane swerved and almost sideswiped the car in front of me.  So I stepped on the brake, and the swervy car swerved again and crashed into the car in front of me.  So I slammed on the brakes, but we rear ended the car in front of us.  Then the car behind us hit us and started pushing us into the car in front of us.  I was watching the front of our car crumple into the car in front of us, and in the dream I was like "It must have been a big truck that hit us, if we're still being pushed."  The front passenger seat was completely crushed, and I remember thinking "Thank goodness DH wasn't in the car, or he'd most likely be dead." 

I realized I was okay, so I turned to check on DS in the back and he was screaming.  The side of the car was pushed in, but he looked okay.  But he was crying so hard and trying to reach me, but he couldn't because the inside of the car was all bent and twisted.  I tried to reach his hand and I couldn't, and I tried to tell him we were okay, but when I opened my mouth, no sound would come out.  That's when I woke up, and I was SO freaked out.  Which, you know, never happens with my mundane milk dreams.  I woke DH up just so he could tell me everything was okay.

• tawillers said:

So much this. When we picked out new hardware for the kitchen (hinges, knobs for drawers, light covers) I had the same feeling. At first I was like "Oh great, they're only $2-4 a piece. Yay for me for not picking expensive ones." Except we needed dozens for how many cabinets we had and it was roughly $250. 
    I know! To put new hardware on all of our cabinets and drawers it's going to be at least $150, probably more.  And we're not even doing the hinges...just the knobs! 
  • Check Amazon for knobs. I got our kitchen there for a quarter the cost. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    tawillers said:

I know! To put new hardware on all of our cabinets and drawers it's going to be at least $150, probably more.  And we're not even doing the hinges...just the knobs! 

@mrsconn23 and @charlotte989875, you all just reminded me we haven't purchased kitchen cabinet hardware yet.  For TWO kicthens, though they are on the smaller side.  Yep, that will be a few hundred bucks (sigh).

But, on the good side, I just set up a showing tomorrow for the 2bd unit.  I haven't put an ad up yet, but I've sent feelers out to a few people who posted "Housing Wanted" ads on Craig's List.  She has an infant and a 4-year-old and was SUPER excited that I provide a washer/dryer.  Apparently not many places do that.  Fingers crossed.

One of the neighbors for the duplex is interested in the 3bd unit for her mom.

Could I be so lucky to have tenants lined up before we are even done with the reno (hoping, hoping, hoping).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having a terrible time concentrating at work. MIL got taken to the hospital via ambulance about an hour ago, and I'm waiting to hear how she is so I know if I need to leave or not (which probably makes me sound like a terrible wife, but she's in a different city and I'm on call, so it's more complicated than just leaving).

On a lighter note, I set up our Christmas decorations last night so the house feels a lot cheerier than usual. If I can get my dog to stop knocking ornaments off with her tail, maybe it'll even stay that way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sorry sorry to hear that, @drglitter.  It does not make you a bad wife at all!  Hope it's not serious. 

• drglitter said:
    I'm having a terrible time concentrating at work. MIL got taken to the hospital via ambulance about an hour ago, and I'm waiting to hear how she is so I know if I need to leave or not (which probably makes me sound like a terrible wife, but she's in a different city and I'm on call, so it's more complicated than just leaving).

On a lighter note, I set up our Christmas decorations last night so the house feels a lot cheerier than usual. If I can get my dog to stop knocking ornaments off with her tail, maybe it'll even stay that way.

Oh no.  I hope your MIL is okay.
  • Hugs for you, @drglitter! I hope your MIL is okay!!

I use them - and have not had this happen. Our washer is front loading, if that helps at all. Try using them in a smaller load and see if that happens? 
    I never had issue before so I wasn't sure
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Random question, does anyone else use the Downy Unstoppables?

I had to stop using them because they weren't dissolving in several load types.  I started adding a little white vinegar in with my detergent and use scented fabric softner.  That seems to help the scent stay fresh. 
    Ooh! I'm gonna try vinegar :) good idea
  • Oh excellent .... there's leak at work and we're trying to get property management team to realize this is kind of a high priority thing. The manager has been called, but it's like - hi, your building already has damage and if you hurry your ass up it will be minimal ...
  • We used a groupon for dinner last night too.  A new place that I'd never go to without getting the groupon since I didn't know it existed.  And it worked because I'd go back!  It was called simply halal foods and I had the best shawarma and hummus I ever had in my life! Then DH and i went to see Moana which was great.  Going on a Monday at 8:30 pm had very few kids.  Very few people actually.

Today I'm wearing my black Friday doorbuster jeans and they are so comfy (none of my jeans are so it's worth mentioning. Macy's I.N.C.).  It was funny because my mom and i went out shopping on Friday, but we went at noon and just took our chances on any sales missed.  The Macy's door buster sales were supposed to end at 1....but at 2, when we purchased our stuff, it was still ringing up those prices.  There's no "doorbuster sale".  You ring those prices all day long.  I'm on to you, Macy's.

Slightly different topic, I have a coupon problem with BOTH Macy's and Sears "Shop Your Way".  I spent one Black Friday a few years ago trying to use a Macy's coupon that was $25 off a $40 purchase.  Something like that.  The fine print "exclusions" was twice as long as the coupon.  But I had read through them all.  I went up to the register THREE times, with different items each time, trying to get the coupon to work.  Denied each time.  I finally gave up and left the worthless coupon on the counter.

I have the same problem with my Sears "Shop Your Way" offers.  They send me "great" offers and coupons all the time.  Like $8 off an $8 purchase.  Or $15 off a $30 purchase.  But it's a total snipe hunt to find any items they will work for.  I don't even waste my time with them anymore unless I'm already buying something at Sears.  And I'm usually not.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    We used a groupon for dinner last night too.  A new place that I'd never go to without getting the groupon since I didn't know it existed.  And it worked because I'd go back!  It was called simply halal foods and I had the best shawarma and hummus I ever had in my life! Then DH and i went to see Moana which was great.  Going on a Monday at 8:30 pm had very few kids.  Very few people actually.

Today I'm wearing my black Friday doorbuster jeans and they are so comfy (none of my jeans are so it's worth mentioning. Macy's I.N.C.).  It was funny because my mom and i went out shopping on Friday, but we went at noon and just took our chances on any sales missed.  The Macy's door buster sales were supposed to end at 1....but at 2, when we purchased our stuff, it was still ringing up those prices.  There's no "doorbuster sale".  You ring those prices all day long.  I'm on to you, Macy's.

Slightly different topic, I have a coupon problem with BOTH Macy's and Sears "Shop Your Way".  I spent one Black Friday a few years ago trying to use a Macy's coupon that was $25 off a $40 purchase.  Something like that.  The fine print "exclusions" was twice as long as the coupon.  But I had read through them all.  I went up to the register THREE times, with different items each time, trying to get the coupon to work.  Denied each time.  I finally gave up and left the worthless coupon on the counter.

I have the same problem with my Sears "Shop Your Way" offers.  They send me "great" offers and coupons all the time.  Like $8 off an $8 purchase.  Or $15 off a $30 purchase.  But it's a total snipe hunt to find any items they will work for.  I don't even waste my time with them anymore unless I'm already buying something at Sears.  And I'm usually not.

YES! So basically, all their items go to 'door buster' sales but no coupons can be used in conjunction.  We found that out on Friday.  But the door busters were like 50% off anyway, so I get it. 

Lane Bryant has the $15 off of $15.  Nothing regular price (clothing wise) is $15....but you could get clearance, panties, or jewelry and pay next to nothing. I stopped shopping LB though.  The clothes are to short for me.

edit: LB for Lane Bryant, since some may not get that acronym 

• @drglitter I hope your MIL is okay!  

I had a productive, but boring day.   Picked up the official marriage license that we have to complete and mail back - woohoo!  That's one item off of the 27 pre wedding to do list we put together yesterday.  I also completed my insurance paperwork and am going over to FI's - which is weird to me for some reason.  Probably just because I'm so used to being on my own, but my company changed our post deductible costs from 100% to 80% and that is way too expensive!

And then the least shocking thing in the world happened, we got another wedding gift in the mail from Macys...broken, just like every other Macy's delivery!
  • @drglitter I hope your MIL is okay!  

I had a productive, but boring day.   Picked up the official marriage license that we have to complete and mail back - woohoo!  That's one item off of the 27 pre wedding to do list we put together yesterday.  I also completed my insurance paperwork and am going over to FI's - which is weird to me for some reason.  Probably just because I'm so used to being on my own, but my company changed our post deductible costs from 100% to 80% and that is way too expensive!

And then the least shocking thing in the world happened, we got another wedding gift in the mail from Macys...broken, just like every other Macy's delivery!
    That is so frustrating! I ordered 3 OXO canisters from Amazon on Friday. They arrived on Saturday and one was really broken! I have been changing over how I store things in my pantry and have ordered several of this type of canister. Just about every time one or more has been broken! They of course, exchange it with no shipping cost to me, but it is just so inconvenient. Why can they have some kind of quality control? At least this time, Amazon is refunding me for the entire purchase even though I only returned one of the 3.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    tawillers said:

To add to the blues, I have an appointment to get my mirena out.  I've never had it done before so I don't know what to expect.

I just did removal/replacement last month.  It pinched a bit when she pulled it out, but it wasn't too bad.  My back did start hurting a bit right away. I was crampy for the afternoon and just hung out on the couch with a heating pad.  I spotted for about a week and then it was all good. 

My swap out was about a year ago, and it was a lot like Conn's experience, although they had to dilate me, which is ZOMG PAIN for about 3 seconds and then some cramping (no worse than PMS) for a few days. 

My first removal was right before I got pregnant, and they had trimmed the threads too short, so the retrieval was a bit of an ordeal. Got my first period within 2-3 days, and got pregnant about 6 weeks later.  
  • tawillers said:

Same here - hinges we got for the kitchen and bathroom were nothing fancy and we spent around 150ish. It was something like 30-40 sets. Luckily we could reuse the knobs.
  • I got out on the slopes today.   Only a few runs open and the snow was meh, but at least I got out there.   I will try and get out there a few more times this week.    *** good news/bad news.  I put on my ski pants.  Yeah, forgot I lost 20 lbs from last season and they were falling off of me. Need to get a new pair.   Bad news is ski pants are not cheap.  I was hoping I could wait until the first of the year.   FWP I know.

After skiing we went to the store to pickup our new coffee table.   We got there and they said their computers are down and they can't release the table.   DH said, okay, you can deliver us the table for free.  Then said no.   Mind you the store is 28 miles one way house from our house.  The warehouse is pretty small and majority of the boxes were mattresses.   So finding our coffee table shouldn't have been difficult to find.  But apparently, when the computers go down, everything gets shut down and screw the customer who already paid for the item and drove all the way there expecting to get the item.  Oh and the manager was not in the store.    

DH was on the phone with corporate complaining.    Well, let's just say the coffee table was released to us and is now is in our home.     

DH received a Lego architecture set. He has allowed me to "help".  We are on day 3.   if it was up to me it would be farther along.  Sadly, it is DH's and we have to go at his piece.   It's about 3 feet from me and it's taking everything I have not to be working on the project right now.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 6fsn said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    Two days ago I was about to book a summer trip to Gatlinburg and got distracted.  I have a week from RCI I need to book for this summer and I'm having a heck of a time.

Look into Massanutten, VA.  There is a large resort complex there in the mountains.  Also, it's not too far from DC.  My former boss and one of my closest work friends is our on-site rep there.  If you want more info, I can hit her up for some details and things to do in the area.  DH and I are considering a trip there next year.  
    My sister went there last year and it's an every 5 year place. 
    Depends on which number it falls under. If you know the name, let me know...because you could stay in a different section.   There's only two sections I can think of off the top of my head that are one in 4.   Other sections are not. :)