Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

bleve0821bleve0821 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2017 in Wedding Woes
Short weeks are awesome.  Wednesdays that feel like Tuesdays?  Please, and thank you.

Not much going on here. Trying to finish up my gardening before the "cold" weather moves in this week/weekend. There's even snow/ice/wintry mix in the forecast! GASP! Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. We all know it's actually going to be the end of the world 'round these parts.

Anyway...  We had lasagna for dinner.  I started going on my pre-dawn morning walks again.  Our lives are dull.  Oh, but, fun fact, apparently on my birthday this year, there will be a total solar eclipse.  The pessimist in me knows it will probably rain, but I marked it on my calendar, anyway.

ETA words.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
--Philip Pullman

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    It's 21 here this morning. It was 67 Monday. This BS is wreaking havoc on my sinuses. We're expecting snow this weekend so we'll look much like that picture too @AtomicBlonde.

The bigger my belly gets the lower my tolerance for BS. I try to be easy with H because his love language is touch, but he just doesn't understand that I'm already uncomfortable so when he lays on me it just makes me even more uncomfortable. Don't block my arm when I'm crocheting. Don't spoon me when I've just told you my hip hurts. Geez, I'm a cranky bitch today.

I have an OB appt at 11 and was hoping to get my payables done before I leave, but my boss hasn't given them back. That means I have to come back afterwards and I really don't want to!
  • Options
    It is getting cold here too and we are expecting snow tonight.  Luckily I am working at home today and there is a My 600 Pound Life marathon on TLC today.  

• Options

Morning! We're expecting "snow showers" on Friday, which can mean a million different things around here. It could end up just raining, or we could end up with inches. There's really no telling until it starts falling.

One of my coworkers brought her kid again (the one who runs up and down the hallways all day) and 2 of my coworkers are here sick with stomach stuff. Ugh. I want to go home.

• Options
    @AtomicBlonde, I'm keeping an eye on that, too.  I was kind of psyched when it was snow in the forecast, but less enthusiastic about the wintry mix.  I just hope we don't lose power.  DS has swim Saturday morning, but if the roads are bad, they'll probably cancel anyway.

I also kind of wish that if it were going to snow, it would do it on a weekday so they'd call a snow day and I could skip work.  I should probably be conserving my PTO, but being back at work is rough.  I think the five day week next week might kill me.

Also, looking for luggage recommendations.  We have a Samsonite set that my grandma gave us when we got married, but that was 10+ years and thousands of miles ago, and it's showing its age.  Plus that was pre-spinner, and we want spinners.  DH is thinking hardside, though I don't have an overwhelmingly strong preference.  We've been looking at Travelpro, but are open to other suggestions. 
  • Options
    I swear everytime it snowed in NC people were planning for the apocalypse @AtomicBlonde. And I lived in the mountains where it snowed heavily a few times a year. I couldn't wrap my mind around how that still caused panic, from people that lived there their entire lives. 

Its cold and snowy here in Ohio. I'm writing a paper snuggled up next to the wood stove with the dog. 

H is busy preparing for the interview! This is going to be the longest week until it gets here. Hes nervous. There is a small snafu that could be bad; H and I work in the same department and his job was created as part of my contract negotiations. He's teaching on a one-year line that is not going to be renewed. When we started he told our DH (department head, not dear husband) that he was going to be looking/interviewing so they were on the same page. Well when he got the call last night about the interview he contacted the DH to see if his classes could switch to online or to the evening if he got an offer and had to start in the semester. The DH totally shut it down saying there's nothing he can do and it would be students in a bad spot. Not willing to work with him or anything.

So H is pissed, and so am I, but also wondering how this is all going to play out. I know changing class times/delivery methods this close to the start of the semester (we go back Monday) is a huge pain in the ass, but if the alternative is he just quits, that's far worse. And I still work there. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Neither of us have worked outside of academia so any private sector insight would be great. 
  • Options
    I'm just gonna jump in here.  @Heffalump We have Eagle Creek luggage and I think they do both hard sided and soft and it's very very very durable.  The wheels aren't those pathetic little ones that come standard on many sets.  It is pretty pricey, but we've put it through many trips and airports, etc with barely any wear.  I'm sure I'll get a "WTF, that's my whole yearly allowance" but it really is worth it. 

Wednesday---all I have for today is that I was woken up at 3am with weird false labor and then tossed and turned and didn't feel one second of remorse when H got out of bed to sleep in the guest room.  All my fucks are gone as far as anything outside of this baby is concerned, and I feel bad that I don't feel bad about that.

Alright...that's pretty much it. 

Also, I think other parts of the country are getting all the snow we usually have, it's just tundra here with negative temps is all.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2017
    @Heffalump
    I got this as a lightning deal on Amazon in 2014, and it's held up really well - especially considering the frequency that it's used. Only complaint is that's it's not expandable, but i'm a good packer so it's never been a problem. I love the spinners. This is our only piece of luggage that has them, so it's super convenient when lugging 2 bags. 
    ETA - a link would help: 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNOB22/ref=twister_B00UYV1QMG?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
  • Options
    @Heffalump We have Travelpro carry on and we like it. The only problem is that it's front heavy so if you put things in the front pouch it tends to tip. The wheels are quite sturdy and it's pretty light compared to our old luggage. When we get new stuff it's likely to be the same brand. 

Has anyone tried Away luggage? It charges your phone and looks nice, but kind of expensive. Curious if it's worth it. 
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I swear everytime it snowed in NC people were planning for the apocalypse @AtomicBlonde. And I lived in the mountains where it snowed heavily a few times a year. I couldn't wrap my mind around how that still caused panic, from people that lived there their entire lives. 

My brother, who lives in Rochester, NY, thinks it should be a point of massive embarrassment for me that I live in a part of the country that "shuts down because of a quarter inch of snow."  I think his attitude baffles me as much as the fact that he is baffled by my acceptance of regional weather differences/(in)ability to cope.

@charlotte989875, good luck to your H.  I have no experience or words of support/wisdom to pass along, but I hope everything works out favorably for everyone.

ETA words.  Again.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
    @Heffalump, we bought this suitcase for Hawaii:  

I think it's the 29".  We packed into that and two carry-ons and had more than enough stuff and space to bring things back. 

DH and I have been having heated discussions the last two mornings about all manner of things.  He's driving me BSC because he's still coming home with a shit attitude about his job and obviously feels that he's not going to advance OR really get anymore training or education out of the place.  But now he's reverting into this, "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!" and "I want to be an entrepreneur, but I don't have a business idea or plan! So I'll just stay on at current job until I figure it out." No, no, no. You're almost 40 with a college degree and a buttload of experience in your current field, do not come at me with this shit.   Grr.  He swears it's 'different' this time, but it's feeling an awful lot like groundhog's day.  I told him again, to put up or shut up.  If he makes no moves in the next month or two, I'm going to find a career counselor for him.  His company is soul-sucking and his discontent stresses me the fuck out (I can literally tell what kind of night he had from the tone of his 'hello' in the morning).  And he made a really, really poor joke to me (kind of blaming me for the fact that we didn't relocate with his former company...even though we decided together not to relocate and what's transpired since that decision (the most major event being MIL's death) has shown us it was the right decision) and I didn't take it well at all.  

All of that is making me wonder if I should look into finishing my degree (I have a pitiful amount of credit hours), because by the time I would finish DefConn will be old enough to come home by himself after school (if I were to want to leave the pants-free-work-at-home world for other opportunities).  Because I'm 'part of the problem' since my go-to argument is that I've kept *this* job for almost 17 years and made moves to make things easier for our family vs. advancing my career/income potential (I could have put myself on the path into management or went into training or project management, but I decided to work from home instead and some people see me the one or two times a year I am in the office and I get the old, "You still work here?!"  So yeah, my 'impact' is not being felt...at all).  So it may be time for me to put up or shut up.  ;) 

Whew.  Kudos if you made it through that.  /rant

We'll figure it out.  We always do.  I just want Mr. Conn to be happy and not get unloaded on about how fucked his company is about...oh everything. 

Other than all that, same shit, different day.  :D 

• Options

My brother, who lives in Rochester, NY, thinks it should be a point of massive embarrassment for me that I live in a part of the country that "shuts down because of a quarter inch of snow."  I think his attitude baffles me as much as the fact that he is baffled by my acceptance of regional weather differences/(in)ability to cope.

@charlotte989875, good luck to your H.  I have no experience or words of support/wisdom to pass along, but I hope everything works out favorably for everyone.

ETA words.  Again.
    I grew up in Buffalo so I might be slightly more used to the snow than the average American. But I get it for the rest of NC that rarely got snow to not be prepared for it. But in the mountains it snows every year. There are even ski areas out there, so it's not like this was a rare occurrence, or even something that happened once or twice a year. Like it would snow at least 5-10 times a winter, like actual accumulation of snow on the ground. And people would still freak out about it. I get it in the central and eastern parts of the state where it doesn't happen with such frequency, but the mountains surprised me. 

Thanks for the good thoughts. This has been a LONG time coming for H to leave academia and the timing just sucks. 
  • Options
    dang @charlotte989875 that Away luggage looks nice and hefty
  • Options
    I'm so with you @mrsconn23 on the husband job stress. Last night when H was preparing for the interview he'd come downstairs from the office every 15 minutes with different contingency plans about if he gets an offer, if he doesn't, what happens if this job sucks too, how to change careers, but still teach. I know a lot of it is nerves, but my gods it's a lot to take.

Didn't he have an interview recently? Did that go well?
  • Options

0Face said:
    dang @charlotte989875 that Away luggage looks nice and hefty
    Right? It looks pretty legit, but it's a relatively newer company so there doesn't seem to be many reviews. A few of the podcasts I listen to run spots for it with discount codes that I'm tempted to try out the smaller carry on, but can't seem to justify the price right now. I travel a fair amount for work so it would get used...
  • Options

Yes, it went well.  And we're still waiting to see if anything comes of it.  They liked him.  He's on the fence about the place for...reasons.   So it would depend on the offer, hours, and position title, if it even comes to fruition. 
  • Options
    It's 21 here this morning. It was 67 Monday. This BS is wreaking havoc on my sinuses. We're expecting snow this weekend so we'll look much like that picture too @AtomicBlonde.

The bigger my belly gets the lower my tolerance for BS. I try to be easy with H because his love language is touch, but he just doesn't understand that I'm already uncomfortable so when he lays on me it just makes me even more uncomfortable. Don't block my arm when I'm crocheting. Don't spoon me when I've just told you my hip hurts. Geez, I'm a cranky bitch today.

I have an OB appt at 11 and was hoping to get my payables done before I leave, but my boss hasn't given them back. That means I have to come back afterwards and I really don't want to!

Not quite that wide, but we've been having drastic temp. changes also.  Like starting the day in the 70s and then it drops to the 40s as a cold front moves in.  Speaking of, there must be a cold front coming in for most of the country from what I'm reading from you all and what my own forecast looks like.  It starts going downhill on Friday.  Might even freeze on Sat.  But then back to the 60s and 70s next week.

I'm going to get my vent out here because I am really upset and sick with worry.  I'll try to keep it short.  I entered into a real estate deal last month where I'd be renting an apartment in Atlanta that would be used exclusively for AirBnB guests.  I don't live in Atlanta so I have a Property Management (PM) company.  In fact, the PM company is the one I have been dealing with, who had the apartment, and who I have the contract with.

The PM guy had ALL kinds of time for me when we were in contract negotiations, but now he mostly avoids my calls/e-mails and only gets back to me once in awhile.  My first guest is arriving tomorrow and they booked last Thursday.  Their understandable question is, how do they get into the house.  The PM company is supposed to handle guest correspondence.  But, when nobody was, I had to pick up the dropped ball.  I sent him a text message Friday morning with the guest's question.  He didn't respond back until Monday!  In the meantime, I took a guess there would be a lockbox and that is what I told the guest.

In his Monday text, he said he was picking up the lockbox that day.  They would get a copy of the guest's ID, give them a code, and/or have their house manager meet them there and give them the keys.  But I haven't been able to get in touch with him since!!!  I've left messages, I sent an e-mail, I sent a text message.  I paid a $3500 deposit, which included first/last month's rent and the first $500 PM monthly fee.  I was already under financial strain, but this seemed like a good gamble.  Now, I'm worried there is something going on that I don't know.  And this is why he isn't getting back to me.  These poor people are going to be arriving tomorrow and end up having nowhere to go.  This is a $1,000 booking!!!  And my first one!  I need it to go well.

I have been nothing but a stress ball this entire week and I don't know what to do.  Needless to say, even if things do end up working out (fat chance), I wish I'd never entered into this agreement.  Obviously they can't uphold their end of the bargain.  It's caused me a lot of extra stress during a time in my life when I'm already overwhelmed and stressed out anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Yes, it went well.  And we're still waiting to see if anything comes of it.  They liked him.  He's on the fence about the place for...reasons.   So it would depend on the offer, hours, and position title, if it even comes to fruition. 
    That sucks. Would it be better than where he is know? Sounds like the current job is taking a pretty heavy toll. 

It sounds so similar to what my H is going through. The potential job isn't the best/most ideal but it would be better than what he's doing know and at least there would be room for advancement. I'm on the side of he hates what he's doing know so even if the other one isn't perfect is has to be better than this. 
  • Options
    So, either my DH's company just changed his payday from Wednesday to Friday and didn't inform *anyone* OR he forgot to tell me?

Either way, WTF?  Grrr. 
  • Options
    H and I are doing the Whole30 this month to kind of reset after Christmas and New Years. This is day 3 and I think it is getting a little better. I'm also addicted to my new FitBit Blaze. Hopefully this will make 2017 a healthier year.

Last night my back was hurting so badly that I couldn't sleep well. Thankfully, I had already scheduled a chiro appointment for this afternoon. It is feeling a little better since I stretched and workout this morning, but I hate feeling 40 years older than I am!
  • Options
    "It's effing cold - that's what day of the week it is!" DD insisted on being driven to school this AM and it was -4 when we started, and -6 by the time we got to school, not factoring in the wind chill.  I have a great warm jacket the problem is the wind cuts right through whatever pants I'm wearing..  

Today is "World Hypnotism Day" so lots of industry stuff going on.  Of course, the one webinar I want to watch is at the time of a conference call I can't (and wouldn't anyway) reschedule..  
  • Options
    So, roller derby can get weird.  There's this tradition of "derby wives."  It's kind of the idea of a work wife, or "ride-and-die" with another skater.  Okay, that's fine.  The rest of this makes me uncomfortable:  they actually do big deal, AW proposals.  And ceremonies.  And most of the time, it's an actual couple.  Oh and since the partner of the player gets called "derby widow", it makes me feel just slightly something, IDK what.  And I fully admit that I probably have a bias b/c I've been so full on about making sure I'm with someone who puts me first and is attentive to me.  It just really feels disrespectful to my and K's relationship.  K has someone who wants to be her derby wife and have K propose and all that.  K asked me and I told her I was uncomfortable with it.  She understood and said no.  However, other circumstances are conspiring that it keeps getting brought up.  It's no danger to us or anything, i just keep feeling...well, squicky and uncomfortable with this.

Anyway, I conquered most of laundry mountain last night.  I had 20+ cases dumped on me at work yesterday from someone who didn't do their job, at all.  The 4 things we're measured on, I had my numbers at 100% on 3 and 95% on 1.  Adding her things dropped all of my numbers to under 75% or worse.  I'm kind of hot about it since this directly affects my bonus.  Plus, the disorganization is massive and overwhelming.  And I'm now working for someone that it is going to be very hard for me to work for b/c he is a rep in our state legislature in the majority party and I loathe every little thing about said majority party in our state legislature.  I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • Options
    I decided to adult properly today have been dedicated to my work, but I'm exhausted.  Right after I fell asleep last night the cats came crashing into our room hissing and spitting and growling.  This isn't normal for them, the only thing we can think of is we put them (the guy really) on a diet and are feeding them less so maybe that's causing tension.  We gave them a little bit of food, the cats and H fell asleep.  I watched 2 episodes of Intervention and 1 of Leah Remini's show about Scientology and fell asleep.

@mrsconn23 I worry that H and I will end up in that fight.  I want to move to Chicago and can transfer at any time because of my job.  Unfortunately teacher licenses aren't easy transferable and it would be a huge set back to his career since he's tenured at his current school.  I sometimes have to remind myself that staying is a choice we made together, but I know it won't always be so easy.  

Oh and on the weather front it's currently snowy and windy AF here.  And cold of course.  I actually wore a coat today.

Good luck with the rental @short+sassy!  That sounds very stressful!
  • Options
    Since I'm not working right now I decided to do something nice for SO and weeded our front lawn for 7 hours yesterday.  Holy shit I am so sore today.  I irritated an old injury in my hip too, which sucks. I really should clean inside today, but I just want to veg out.  I'm applying for a dream job today, so I'm going to focus on that for awhile.  

It went from raining here four days in a row, to only raining one, and while I'm excited because it means it won't be raining on our trip, it also mans we won't get the rain we desperately need.  

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

That sucks. Would it be better than where he is know? Sounds like the current job is taking a pretty heavy toll. 

It sounds so similar to what my H is going through. The potential job isn't the best/most ideal but it would be better than what he's doing know and at least there would be room for advancement. I'm on the side of he hates what he's doing know so even if the other one isn't perfect is has to be better than this. 
    I have no idea if it would be 'better' or not.  

And I'm not opposed to him wanting to own his own business one day or anything, but I feel like he can dream/think about that AND he should find something now (well, soon) that makes him happier.  
  • Options
    It's snowing here!   We need it so bad.  Suppose to get 18-24 on the mountain. Can you say powder day?

DH is on the slopes.  I had to get blood drawn for my annual physical and just didn't feel driving up to met him afterwards.    

We have OOT guests coming to stay with us on Sunday and Monday so I really need to get ready for their arrival.   I already have all the trial size items and bought new pillows.  I have to bring up the power strip, make the bed and close off the room from the rescue dog.  He thinks that room is "his".

Tonight we (on the club's dime) are taking the F&B managers out to dinner.  Tomorrow I'm back at work.  Early start, so tonight I will take it easy drinking wise.  Which kind-of sucks because the place we are going has some good wines.  Unfortunately, 5:16 am comes too early.

I think I'm going to the store for some fried chicken for lunch.   Haven't had it in a while.  Besides,  I've drop so much weight in the last month (11 lbs)  I think I could use the calories.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I decided to adult properly today have been dedicated to my work, but I'm exhausted.  Right after I fell asleep last night the cats came crashing into our room hissing and spitting and growling.  This isn't normal for them, the only thing we can think of is we put them (the guy really) on a diet and are feeding them less so maybe that's causing tension.  We gave them a little bit of food, the cats and H fell asleep.  I watched 2 episodes of Intervention and 1 of Leah Remini's show about Scientology and fell asleep.

@mrsconn23 I worry that H and I will end up in that fight.  I want to move to Chicago and can transfer at any time because of my job.  Unfortunately teacher licenses aren't easy transferable and it would be a huge set back to his career since he's tenured at his current school.  I sometimes have to remind myself that staying is a choice we made together, but I know it won't always be so easy.  

Oh and on the weather front it's currently snowy and windy AF here.  And cold of course.  I actually wore a coat today.

Good luck with the rental @short+sassy!  That sounds very stressful!
    I hiss and growl when I'm hungry, too.  At least the spitting I usually keep to a minimum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, employee of the quarter for 2016's 4th quarter was just announced. The managers choose the winner pretty much based on who they like the most. My boss's ex/maybe not ex mistress won the title along with a nice bonus. Awesome. She's terrible at her job and makes more mistakes than anyone. At least we now know that you only have to be good at one thing to get awarded at my company.

• Options
    Today's big accomplishments were registering kids for preschool, gymnastics, and science class. People are so dumb though.  The mom in front of me gets to the front of the line "I didn't know if you wanted separate checks for each kid or really which class I should put them in.  What do you think?"

1. there was only 1 person doing the registration.
    2. they SENT HOME FORMS and posted where to get forms on-line. WHY DID PEOPLE WAIT UNTIL THE FRONT OF THE LINE TO FILL THEM OUT.
    3. why are they still only taking checks?
    4. why are they waiting to not only decide on classes, but to fill out the CHECK?
    5. if you have questions CALL THE DAY BEFORE.

I was ~12 in line and waited 40 minutes.  I had everything filled out and in order and was registered in 2 minutes.  

This probably should have gone in the vents, but oh well.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    Today's big accomplishments were registering kids for preschool, gymnastics, and science class. People are so dumb though.  The mom in front of me gets to the front of the line "I didn't know if you wanted separate checks for each kid or really which class I should put them in.  What do you think?"

1. there was only 1 person doing the registration.
    2. they SENT HOME FORMS and posted where to get forms on-line. WHY DID PEOPLE WAIT UNTIL THE FRONT OF THE LINE TO FILL THEM OUT.
    3. why are they still only taking checks?
    4. why are they waiting to not only decide on classes, but to fill out the CHECK?
    5. if you have questions CALL THE DAY BEFORE.

I was ~12 in line and waited 40 minutes.  I had everything filled out and in order and was registered in 2 minutes.  

This probably should have gone in the vents, but oh well.
    I'll start this by saying I love the WIC program so this is not a vent against WIC. Sunday, I went to the grocery store and I get in line. It's busy Sunday (it's always busy on Sundays and I always say I'm not coming back on a Sunday but...). I get behind someone who already has all their stuff on the belt. Little did I know that he had 5 different orders! It's been 20+ years since I used WIC, but I thought it was by the week. He was getting all his (wife's I guess) WIC for the month, plus a separate order for non-WIC. I got so overheated that I seriously contemplated removing my shirt there in line. I started hyperventilating to the point I could no longer feel my face. All that to say...yeah, people are dumb.