Chit Chat

Learning a foreign language

I would really like to learn how to speak/read/write Spanish better.  I have a fair number of customers in Mexico and want to be able to better communicate with them as they are proficient in my language. 

Has anyone studied a foreign language outside of a school setting?  If so, what do you use and how did you like it?

I've been googling this over the last few days and there are so many options and not very many ways to decide which is better than the others.

Re: Learning a foreign language

• I've been studying Italian for about 4 years. I started out using Rosetta Stone then I found the free website iTalki.com. It is kind of a Facebook for language learners. You can find people there to do language exchanges (they are learning English and you want to learn their language) that you can set up via Skype. The site also has tutors that you can pay (lessons are done on Skype). I found the prices to be very reasonable. I have been working with my tutor for about three years. I also do daily exercises on Duolingo.com which is a lot like Rosetta Stone but there isn't a cost.
  • I'm in the middle of learning Italian and what helped me the most was taking an in person class at my local college. It was excellent for keeping me on track and pronunciation. After that class, I started using a program like Rosetta Stone and it is going okay. I'm back burning it right now but will hopefully get back into it soon. I also think that having a regular outlet for speaking will be helpful.

• When I learned Spanish once and for all (at 26, after Spanish classes K-12 with little more than basic vocabulary) I took classes with Fluent City, which was really helpful.  Nothing compared to forcing DH to speak nothing but Spanish to me though (it's his first language and most of his family members don't speak English, which was why I wanted to learn).  Buena suerte!
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I started learning Italian a few years back, and I used both Rosetta Stone and Babbel.  RS was okay, the tutoring sessions were nice, but I couldn't justify the cost.  I really liked Babbel.  It was cheaper and I felt like I got the same value as from RS.

ETF words

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I started brushing up on my German lately. I second the recommendation for Duolingo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I used Mango through my library system when I was learning Italian.
  • I'm working through French on Duolingo at the moment, but I can get by pretty well already (I teach FSL).  I'm looking at hitting up Spanish yet, so we'll see how it goes.  I like that it's free

• As a supplement to a class or program, I recommend setting your radio/music station to one in Spanish. Listening to the songs and commercials can help.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I downloaded Duolingo on my phone to upgrade my French and Italian. It has conversational abilities in French and Spanish. You can adjust the level to do as much or as little as you want a day.
  • Thanks!  I've been doing daily lessons though Duolingo the last few days and this is probably my favorite question yet.
    I never got that on the Italian tree!
  • I'm learning Spanish via Duolingo as well as a one hour class twice a month at my parish. With Duo, go through the Spanish from English course, then do the English from Spanish course (called "the reverse tree" by Duo learners). Spend some time on the discussion boards. People are very generous about sharing resources.

My 80+ aunt joined the Spanish-learning group at the retirement home. They're using Spanish for Gringos and having a blast.
  • I started learning Chinese language a few years back and still are practicing when having the time. For me personally i found the language fun and refreshing. I learning from a chinese book that I bought at a bookstore and also I hired a chinese tutor. The easiest way to learn fast is to constantly using the language as much as possible.