Wedding Woes
Options

Week 2 of Trump

Re: Week 2 of Trump

• Options
    Holy fuck....the Human Rights Campaign is reporting that the White House will not deny rumors that Trump is scheduled to sign an anti LGBTQ executive order this week.

People suspect he will overturn Obama's ban on anti-LGBT workplace discrimination among federal contractors.

"Bloomberg reported late Friday that a range of options are under consideration for an executive order that could target LGBTQ people with discrimination, including allowing contractors to discriminate in hiring, allowing taxpayer-funded workers to refuse to serve LGBTQ people or allowing Indiana-style discrimination where contractors could refuse service to LGBTQ people."
  • Options
    Does anyone watch Last Week Tonight w/John Oliver? The new season starts in less then two weeks and I am really looking forward to what he has to say about all of this and Trump. I need some laughs. 
  • Options
    Does anyone watch Last Week Tonight w/John Oliver? The new season starts in less then two weeks and I am really looking forward to what he has to say about all of this and Trump. I need some laughs. 
    I'm dying for him to come back. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Yes, me too. Mainly because I know he will rip in to Trump.

Here is a promo for the new show: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/hbo/261564/last-week-tonight-season-4-air-date-larry-david-teaser-and-where-to-watch-online
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Yes, me too. Mainly because I know he will rip in to Trump.

Here is a promo for the new show: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/hbo/261564/last-week-tonight-season-4-air-date-larry-david-teaser-and-where-to-watch-online
    That promo was hilarious! I am crying right now! 

Also - I totally had no idea that this show was coming back so soon!!!

• Options
    On the SCOTUS pick: Looks like the short list is Gorsuch (known for being a Religious Liberty proponent), Pryor (whose claim to fame is calling Roe v. Wade an abomination), and Hardiman (who sits on the same court as Trump's sister). 

Looks like rumors are floating the Senate Democrats will filibuster any nominee. 
  • Options
    Well, I'm definitely not as in the know as you ladies, so this was a nice thread to stumble across.  I'm pissed with the Press Secretary guy, who just said (on a clip from our National news) that the Quebec mosque shooting last night is a great example of how the travel ban is needed.  Does he not realize that a white (I'm assuming Canadian, since I haven't heard anything contrary) man was the shooter, killing 6 Muslims, and not Islamic terrorists?  

Honestly, we were looking at a Vegas trip over Spring Break  at the end of March, and I just don't want to visit the US anymore, cos I don't want to support these kind of policies with my tourism dollars.  Which doesn't help those Americans who don't support the policies.  

• Options
    @WinstonsGirl I wish I was kidding when I said this but Fox News and the White House tried pinning it on a Moroccan National who was later identified as a witness.

@charlotte989875 I'm interested in your poli sci professorial opinion on this piece:

https://thewayofimprovement.com/2017/01/29/historian-heather-cox-richardson-on-trumps-muslim-ban-its-a-shock-event/

• Options
    @WinstonsGirl I wish I was kidding when I said this but Fox News and the White House tried pinning it on a Moroccan National who was later identified as a witness.

@charlotte989875 I'm interested in your poli sci professorial opinion on this piece:

https://thewayofimprovement.com/2017/01/29/historian-heather-cox-richardson-on-trumps-muslim-ban-its-a-shock-event/

They did originally arrest a second suspect, who turned out to be a witness instead of someone involved.  He's been released already and cleared

• Options

They did originally arrest a second suspect, who turned out to be a witness instead of someone involved.  He's been released already and cleared
    Yes, the articles on Fox have been edited and their tweets have been deleted but they originally reported it was the Morroccan kid.  I know this isn't the most impartial source, but they have the screen shots at least to show what was being reported.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/fox-news-quebec-city-mosque-attack-right-wing-shooter#testa

• Options
    Thanks @kimmiinthemitten.  I thought I was hearing things when the Press Secretary was on the news, but it makes a bit more sense now if he was going on 'alternative facts'.  ;)

• Options

I have a lot of thoughts on this; 1) I think it's a little fast and loose to attribute it all to Bannon (and I know I joked about that too), but to assume it's all Bannon alleviates Trump's role and responsibility in this. 2) In the poli sci context we typically refer to shocks as large scale events, or critical junctures (typically war, economic crisis, natural disasters), that lead to some institutional shakeup, but that can be positive or negative (I have done some work on this) change, but it's difficult to tell ex ante what type of change will happen. 3) If something truly is a "shock" then it's going into have an impact whether people respond or not. The implication that if we ignore and don't respond to the actions that they won't have the intended impact is fine if the shock doesn't have actual policy implications, but in the case of the EO, it hasn't major ramifications whether we respond excitedly or not. 

That being said I do agree there are other major actions (the NSC shakeup, the labeling of the press the opposition) that are not being covered in the way that they would had we not had the EO when we did. I do think there is an intent to distract and pass other things quickly, however I don't think that we can dismiss this just as an event designed to divide the populous when the ramifications are significant. 
  • Options
    Well, I'm definitely not as in the know as you ladies, so this was a nice thread to stumble across.  I'm pissed with the Press Secretary guy, who just said (on a clip from our National news) that the Quebec mosque shooting last night is a great example of how the travel ban is needed.  Does he not realize that a white (I'm assuming Canadian, since I haven't heard anything contrary) man was the shooter, killing 6 Muslims, and not Islamic terrorists?  

Honestly, we were looking at a Vegas trip over Spring Break  at the end of March, and I just don't want to visit the US anymore, cos I don't want to support these kind of policies with my tourism dollars.  Which doesn't help those Americans who don't support the policies.  
    White Québécois racist national. I wish I could say I was surprised but my friends from Québec weren't, so why should the rest of us be.

Also, the record that Trump is holding as least likeable president after 8 days, good on him. It's good to have goals.
  • Options

White Québécois racist national. I wish I could say I was surprised but my friends from Québec weren't, so why should the rest of us be.

Also, the record that Trump is holding as least likeable president after 8 days, good on him. It's good to have goals.
    "I'm--hands down--the most unlikeable in the entire history of likeability.  No one else even comes close.  Biggest unfavorable ratings they've ever seen.  They had to invent a whole new scale just to measure it."

GBCK said:
    Because we all could use some hope...

Acting AG Yates has directed the DOJ not to defend the refugee and
    immigration EO because she does not believe it is lawful.

ANNNND, now she's fired.
    Because who needs to listen to LAWS and shit?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/trump-immigration-ban-memo.html?_r=0
    Yep.  Show of hands, who's surprised?  It's the Saturday Night Massacre all over again, and we all know how that turned out.

Did anyone catch Elizabeth Warren on Facebook Live last night?  She was on fire.  I have a ton of respect for her, but I've never quite been a Warren fangirl.  That may be about to change, LOL.

In other news, have y'all been reading up on malignant narcissism?  Disclaimer:  for the most part, I have next to no faith in internet diagnosing strangers with psychological conditions.  But a lot of this sounds awfully familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-couch/201608/when-malignant-narcissist-starts-unravel

It's often hard to tell whether someone is a pathological narcissist without getting to know them well, and even then you may not be able to tell if someone is going to explode when you stop being part of their admiring audience. But Shaw suggests these telltale signs of malignant narcissism:

- Someone who is “infinitely entitled and grateful to no one.”

- When telling the story of his life, he “leaves out any trace of his own significant misdeeds and failures.”- Someone who “never hesitates to lie for the purpose of self-aggrandizement.”- Someone who “blames others for his own errors and failures.”- Someone who “is erratic, thin-skinned, belligerent, and constantly engaged in attacking and belittling perceived enemies.”- And in the case of malignant narcissistic leaders of cults and political movements, Shaw says, “he persuades followers to see their lives before joining his group as wretched, and he claims exclusive possession of the power to transform followers’ lives in miraculous ways.” (I added the links.)

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    All of that @Heffalump is even more reason to stay calm and focused.  He wants to create hysteria and confusion because he thinks implosion and in-fighting will allow him to do what he wants and/or make people dependent on him.  So yeah, what he's doing IS shocking and everything is moving very quickly, but it's a shell game.  Battles are going to be lost, but the prize is to win the war.   There's a lot of hills we could die on and they're banking on it happening. 

And it's fucking crazy that I'm talking about our president that way, but it is what it is now.  But he needs to spiral out...And the faster it happens, hopefully the less damage done.  That's why I am really trying to ignore the FB screaming.  I'm still reading articles, but I'm trying to read several on one issue to get a good picture. 

Also, I'm kind of hoping Yates defying the orders is the start of a trend because it's probably the best way for him to make a (possibly criminal) misstep. 
    Just this morning, Mr. Heff and I were talking and I said "In the beginning, it was just wishful thinking, but now I'm honestly having a hard time picturing him serving out his entire term."  Mr. Heff--MR. HEFF--thinks there is something unfixably wrong with him.

I love Mr. Heff because he is my window into the center-right mindset.  For those on FB, when Wooz made her "Donald Dump" comment a couple of weeks ago and I snickered like a fellow second grader, the reason she said "Don't tell Daddy" was because he and I had had a spirited conversation about whether you need to respect someone simply because they are POTUS.  I was of the position that respect needs to be earned, and he has failed abysmally there; Mr. Heff briefly flirted with "Let's give him a chance and see if he settles down once the gravity of the situation sinks in."  Fast forward to this morning, and Mr. Heff is "I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but it's something big.  I don't see him correcting course at this point."  Welcome to the rest of our reality, my love.

This could be naïve of me, but so far I'm seeing more uniting among his opposition than dividing.  I'm encouraged.  Did you see the statement Obama's spokesman issued?
    YES!  

It feels like a whole different world than it was on Jan. 19th.  I'm glad he sent that, "I'm still here!" reminder.  ;) 
  • Options
    GBCK said:

ANNNND, now she's fired.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/trump-immigration-ban-memo.html?_r=0
    I heard about this on my way into the office this morning. I had to call H because I was so distraught. Whatever happened to checks and balances? 

When I hung up with H I got a little giggly because all I could think about was that table flip meme and I feel like wanting to flip a table before 7:30 in the morning might be a new record for me LOL. 
  • Options
    GBCK said:

ANNNND, now she's fired.
    I heard about this on my way into the office this morning. I had to call H because I was so distraught. Whatever happened to checks and balances? 

When I hung up with H I got a little giggly because all I could think about was that table flip meme and I feel like wanting to flip a table before 7:30 in the morning might be a new record for me LOL. 
    So this might be a little controversial here but I don't know that hat I'm outraged by the Yates firing and that it means checks and balances and dwindling. She was going to be replaced anyway. She likely knew this is exactly what would happen if she refused to defend the order so rather than simply resign/be asked to leave she is able to force his hand, have him lose legitimacy/be perceived as vindictive and look like he's way overreacting. Brilliant move by her in my mind. 
    That's actually a good way to think about it. 
  • Options
    GBCK said:

ANNNND, now she's fired.

So this might be a little controversial here but I don't know that hat I'm outraged by the Yates firing and that it means checks and balances and dwindling. She was going to be replaced anyway. She likely knew this is exactly what would happen if she refused to defend the order so rather than simply resign/be asked to leave she is able to force his hand, have him lose legitimacy/be perceived as vindictive and look like he's way overreacting. Brilliant move by her in my mind. 
    EXACTLY!  She knew what she was doing. And did you see the nonsensical tweet he sent out before the firing news came out?