Wedding Woes

Tu-tu-TUESDAY

I got my happy birthday song in with DefConn earlier.  :D  They're in VA and having breakfast.  They should be home by mid to late afternoon.  <3 

There's a fucking mouse in my garage. I was out in my garage last night and the fucker was on my freezer.  He scurried off when I moved DefConn's camp chair that had been sitting on the freezer off of it.   I. Hate. Mice.  DH needs to put out some traps.  

After 17 years in the travel industry, the one question that makes me laugh every.single.time is the one where people want to know the best Hawaiian island to stay where they can 'drive' to the other islands.  ::headdesk:: 
bleve0821HeffalumpmissJeanLouisecharlotte989875kvrunssparklepants41kimmiinthemittenshort+sassylyndausvithefanciestbecklerlevioosaDrillSergeantCatOurWildKingdom

Re: Tu-tu-TUESDAY

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Glad they'll be home soon.

My big day is writing out soccer, lacrosse, baseball (x2), gymnastics, and camp schedules. I also need to sign up for swim lessons, renew zoo and pool memberships, clean the house, go to the store, and work at some point. 

mrsconn23HeffalumpmissJeanLouise
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh and my leg is a mess.  Huge bruise, nasty scrape, hives around the wound and hives wherever the bandaid is (the monster bandaid). 
  • That sucks @6fsn.  :(  I hope it doesn't take too long to heal up. 
  • That sounds like a nightmare @6fsn I hope it heals up soon! 

I rode a pony today!! It was grand. I am going to start riding on Sundays and Wednesdays. Other than that, I am sooo tired. It is like I can not get enough sleep even though I am getting plenty. I am hoping now that DH is going back to a normal schedule I will be too. My house is a wreck and my workout schedule down the tube. It is not his fault but hopefully I can get back on the wagon when he isn't home all day.
    kimmiinthemitten
  • Yay, birthday song!!

Sorry to hear about your leg, @6fsn. I hope it clears up soon.

I think it was almost a year ago to the day that I first posted that we bought a lawn mower and finally mowed the lawn for the first time since we bought the old house. Well, since the new house has 5 times as much acreage as the old house, we decided it was probably wiser to invest in a riding lawn mower.  That finally arrived yesterday, and DH giddily mowed the lawn for the first time since we bought this house. He was like a kid at Christmas. It was adorable. I'm sure our neighbors are grateful that it finally looks like civilized people live here.  Things were getting pretty wild.

I had weird dreams about weddings and fistfights and unwelcome people in my home.  I think it's time to find the time to work out again.  It's amazing how the quality of my dreams (and sleep) improve with cardio.  But lately 24 hours in a day is insufficient time to get everything done to the quality I expect of myself.  My hobbies are sleep, work, throw shit in a pan and call it food. Not a lot of time for anything else.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

charlotte989875mrsconn23sparklepants41short+sassy
  • Happy birthday, defconn!  When I saw "6 years ago" I did a double take.  No way!!

SOSO at work (so far).  I have too many errands, so I need about a three hour lunch today.  Instead, I'm just going to have to pick one and deal with the rest tomorrow (and the next day). 

I won't bore y'all with the details, but British Hotel Drama continues.  The bride texted me 8 times in row to say that it's settled and she's so sorry for the inconvenience.  (Which is sweet, but the 8 texts cumulatively added to the inconvenience.)  Let's hope it's well and truly done.

DH and I are waffling on the funeral.  He now says he thinks it's too far for me to drive without anyone to share the driving.  So today, our plan is to keep watching for a pair of cheap flights for Wooz and me, and if those don't happen, then all four of us will drive.  But ask me again this afternoon, because our plans may change again by then.

I'm doing a reading.  They want all the great-grands to bring up the gifts (a Catholic thing), not counting DS, who is too young.  So between that and the fact that Wooz wants to go, it will be the two of us, at a minimum.

It's beautiful here.  We slept with the windows open, and it's supposed to be upper 70s today.  I love it, but it makes it hard to stay cooped up inside.
    mrsconn23charlotte989875
  • Congrats on the lawnmower @atomicblonde, H was the same way when he finally bought his chainsaw. 

Not much here, trying to catch up on work, search for jobs and trying not to get overwhelmed. H likes to discuss each job and where to search and what to look for; he's trying to be helpful but it stresses me out. 

But it he made bacon and eggs for breakfast before work this morning so I'll take it. 
    Heffalumpkimmiinthemittenshort+sassy
  • Oh, and DS's conference is tomorrow, so we got his mid-year evaluation.  He's such a DH!  Loves music but no sense of rhythm or tempo; can't tear him away from the science and math centers. 
    missJeanLouisemrsconn23
  • @Heffalump I'm intrigued by the fact that after booking a hotel there can still be hotel drama. 

How far is the drive if you were to do it alone?
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2017
    Glad you got your birthday song!

Little sleep and a lost voice, I'm a mess today. Feel like if I closed my eyes I might fall asleep. Maybe I should do that while I'm pumping in a bit.

Have to take my car to get something or other fixed. Except I don't know anything about it because H wants it fixed and he thinks showing me a bunch of pictures about the problem translates into me understanding it.

It is a good thing I checked B's cubby at daycare yesterday and noticed he was down to 5 diapers because they never told me to bring more and he is completely out today.

• Feel better @kvruns!  And yes, get that pumping nap in.  Just make sure your flanges are securely attached or else it could be a mess...not that I know from personal experience or anything.  :D 
    kvrunsHeffalump
  • @mrsconn23 happy happy birthday, DefConn!!

@atomicblonde your H sounds like my H when he got his first snowblower a few years ago - we didn't have much snow that winter (of course), but the first snowstorm that brought 4" had him out doing our driveway and a few of our neighbors' driveways!!

Nothing much new today, trying to catch up on stuff and lay low to hopefully avoid getting anything last-minute dumped on me...
    mrsconn23
  • We just fed the dog his first real Turkish meal. The place downstairs serves kabobs by the meter!! 
    kimmiinthemittenOurWildKingdom
  • @Heffalump I'm intrigued by the fact that after booking a hotel there can still be hotel drama. 

How far is the drive if you were to do it alone?

Right?  Apparently it all involved whether they had collected the full amount (two nights) or just a deposit.  When I called, they either said just the deposit (which is what originally posted to our account), or that they didn't know because someone else was on the computer, and they would check and call back.  (They never did.)  The bride was all flustered, poor thing, and finally whoever is in charge of weddings there said they only charged the deposit, but the woman who booked it should have charged the full amount. 

Then the 8 texts were "So sorry, it should have been the full amount" "Can you call them back and give them your info" "So very, very sorry!" "Never mind, they posted it to the same card you gave them when you booked" "You should probably double check your statement, because they don't seem to know what they're doing" "So sorry" "This isn't the first problem we've had with them, I told them they need to sort themselves out" "Really am so sorry."

The drive is 12-13 hours by car, depending on where exactly we're staying.  Plus time for gas, bathroom breaks, rest stops, food, etc.  It would be a loooooong day, but TBH, I just want to go and get home.   
    charlotte989875
  • Hi all!  I was on the road yesterday with appointments all day and actually felt like I was on top of my work game again.  I needed that after the last few weeks of dealing with my stupid but expensive mistake.

Tomorrow, I'm taking a new product manager out so I need to get on the phone and make some appointments since I've done nada to prepare.

This weekend was good - Friday two of the girls on my 3 Day Team and I went for a 5 mile training walk in my neighborhood.  There's a really good chance the route is the same as last years and if that's the case we walk 0.1 miles away from my house.  Plus I'm the closest to the office so it's easy to meet here.

The walk is hilly and woodsy and just nice - and popular for walkers, runners and bikers.  Until some rando dude with a creeper stache hopped out from what appeared to be a sewer entrance and said "hey, do you know what this is?" Insert collective no.  "do you want to come check it out."  Insert collective no.  Then the creeper shrugged and walked back in!

So we called the cops and met up with one who was a dick (and had a crew cut and hipster glasses - make up your mind!).  He came back about a mile down the road and said "Yeah, that guy was with his wife.  Henry Ford built a bomb shelter and he just wanted to show you guys."  And then the creeper and wife drove by and honked and waived.  I said to the cop, he does realize why that was creepy and suspicious behavior, right?  The cop just shrugged and got in his car.  

In retrospect, it's a funny story, but I'm still a bit pissed that the cop treated us like an inconvenience.  I live in a safe neighborhood, but just a couple miles from there on the same hike of trail a woman fought off a rapist.  Just because he was nice and with his wife doesn't mean he wasn't up to something nefarious.
  • Poor thing, she probably feels bad @Heffalump, but yah 8 texts is a little much. 

@kimmiinthemitten that whole thing with the cop would make me super annoyed. Sure, it turned out to be fine, but that's real creepy behavior. And it's not like women have ever been accomplices to crime, or coerced into luring women for their abusive husbands, but sure because he was with his wife everything must be okay and you're the ones overreacting. Sorry for the rant, but that's ridiculous. 
    kimmiinthemittensparklepants41levioosa
  • Poor thing, she probably feels bad @Heffalump, but yah 8 texts is a little much. 

@kimmiinthemitten that whole thing with the cop would make me super annoyed. Sure, it turned out to be fine, but that's real creepy behavior. And it's not like women have ever been accomplices to crime, or coerced into luring women for their abusive husbands, but sure because he was with his wife everything must be okay and you're the ones overreacting. Sorry for the rant, but that's ridiculous. 
    That's what we were saying after the cop drove off too.  How many Elizabeth Smart esque stories are there where the wife was in on it?!
    charlotte989875mrsconn23
  • @mrsconn23, Happy Birthday DefConn

@6fsn, Your poor leg!  I hope it gets better soon

@atomicblonde, I really hope your work mellows out some and gives you a better work-life balance.  I just bought a lawnmower from Sears a couple days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet.

The one at one of our rentals broke.  We are hoping to fix it and take it to a different rental.  But, in the meantime, we need a good machine over there.  I was complaining a few months ago that Sears had screwed me out of $200 in Reward Points.  I was actually able to get that resolved, will miracles never cease, so the lawnmower and a skirt I bought were free.  In fact, I still have $90 in Sears points I need to spend before that company crashes and burns.

@kimmiinthemitten, I keep thinking of you when I see commercials for that show Detroiters.  I've never watched it, but it looks funny.  I like the one commercial where it looks like they are talking to some out-of-towners.  And the Detroiter guys are saying something about it being a decent neighborhood.  The couple mentions they are walking to their destination because it is only ten blocks away.  While one guy is saying something like, "What?!? You're walking!"  The other guy is saying, "Oh my God, you'll be killed!"  I have had similar conversations in NOLA, where neighborhoods can change on a dime, so I especially appreciate that exchange, lol.

I mentioned it on the current NextDoor thread.  But last night I went on a first doggy play date with someone I met on NextDoor.  They were not a crazy person, so that was positive, lol.  But her dog, who supposedly loves other dogs...(cough, cough) apparently not...was barking up a storm at my Izzy when I got to her house.  There was a gate between us, so she was safe.  We were kind of hanging out waiting to see if her dog would calm down.  He did not.

So then I suggested that Izzy and I walk a block away and she could come join us with her dog and we would all go for a walk.  I figured he might be more sociable if we weren't on "his territory".  And he was, he didn't bark at her or act aggressively.  They sniffed each other here and there throughout the walk.  But Izzy, who normally loves to play with other dogs, did not forget all the barking/aggression and was doing her best to avoid him.  To an uninformed onlooker, Izzy probably looked cool, calm, and collected.  But I could tell she was a little on edge and unsure of things.  I also want to note that the other dog barked aggressively at a couple other dogs we came across on the walk.

Just like the obnoxious mom who brags about how much more her 6-year-old is reading compared to the other kids, I have to brag about my Izzy.  She did not bark once and was a perfect girl, even when the other dog was being mean in the beginning.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    mrsconn23charlotte989875kimmiinthemittenDrillSergeantCat
  • @mrsconn23 - I've been in the hospitality business for a long time. The stuff that comes out of people's mouths can be mind boggling.

@kimmiinthemitten - that is a crazy story.   I would be annoyed at the cop also.

Today is my "Saturday".    We got about 5 inches of snow over night.  DH is going to ski and I'm going to uphill to the restaurant I work at for lunch.  This is the last week of the fine dining side and we wanted to get a nice lunch in before it closes.  It helps we get 50% off, plus I have a $10 off certificate I got as a bonus for doing great work one day.  I had asked that everyone on my team get one for doing a great job that day.   They gave me one too!  

I'm uphilling (hiking) because the top 3 or 4 people who hike up to the restaurant the most through the season gets a prize.  I'm sitting at 5th place.  #3 and 4 have backed off hiking up, plus number 3 only has 5 more days of work.  

FL job update, non-update.   DH and the head hunter have been playing phone tag.   DH is going to talk try to him today.   Like I said last week the offer has to be really good for us to leave.  At least 30% increase + benefits + moving expenses + 5-6 weeks PTO.  Plus some sort of a signing bonus.  Moving just sucks and is more expensive than just the moving van and hotels, transportation to get there.   You always need new something at the new place.  Curtains, bath rugs, different sized trash can.  You know, stupid stuff.

We do like it here and honestly I don't really want to leave.  But if the offer is right we would be silly not to take it.   The cost of living is so much less in FL.   We could pay way less for a bigger place than living here.  We would be closer to family (my parents spend 6 weeks in FL every winter).   MIL would most likely visit us.   Plus no state income tax.     But it's FL  :/  At least I could be near the water again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    mrsconn23kimmiinthemittenshort+sassy
  • @kimmiinthemitten that's so creepy! I would have been so pissed getting that kind of blase attitude from that cop. Sounds like he was trying to avoid the hassle of paperwork, but honestly how much paperwork will he have to do if that creepy mustache guy actually does something?
    kimmiinthemitten
  • lyndausvi said:
    @mrsconn23 - I've been in the hospitality business for a long time. The stuff that comes out of people's mouths can be mind boggling.

Re: Travel and hospitality...did you see the outrage and 'tweetstorm' (ugh!) against United Airlines over the weekend because they made a 10 year old pass traveler change since she was wearing leggings and it wasn't in the dress code for being a non-revenue flier?  

I saw the UA dress code policy for pass travelers, and it's not that bad...so the adult she was traveling with should have made her put on a tunic or dress before getting to the airport so there wasn't an issue.  She was *not* being 'body shamed'.  

It's a free benefit and you're lucky if someone shares it with you.  Follow the damn rules. 
    cupcait927short+sassysparklepants41
  • mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    @mrsconn23 - I've been in the hospitality business for a long time. The stuff that comes out of people's mouths can be mind boggling.

Re: Travel and hospitality...did you see the outrage and 'tweetstorm' (ugh!) against United Airlines over the weekend because they made a 10 year old pass traveler change since she was wearing leggings and it wasn't in the dress code for being a non-revenue flier?  

I saw the UA dress code policy for pass travelers, and it's not that bad...so the adult she was traveling with should have made her put on a tunic or dress before getting to the airport so there wasn't an issue.  She was *not* being 'body shamed'.  

It's a free benefit and you're lucky if someone shares it with you.  Follow the damn rules. 
    I did.    Seems like much to do about nothing.  And just proves how fast people jump to conclusions without having all the facts.

You want a free ride, follow the rules.  The adult(s) they were traveling with should have known better.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    mrsconn23sparklepants41
  • edited March 2017
    @kimmiinthemitten what?!?! That story is crazy!!! For some reason it made me think of this meme though. He definitely has the wrong approach:

Glad you got your happy birthday call in @mrsconn23! Happy birthday to DefConn! 

@Atomicblonde that's so cute about your H and the lawnmower. DH gets that way about stuff like that too. 

Morning all! After the most anticlimactic work drama of the century yesterday, everyone here is acting like nothing ever happened. So weird. 

I get to meet my friend's new baby tonight! They had to wait for the state of TN and the state of GA (where they adopted him from) to process their paperwork and release them to come home. They got the all clear yesterday! I can't wait to meet that little man. I think that's about all I have going on today. 

ETA - I unintentionally gave myself nightmares last night. Right before I went to bed I watched an interview that Dr. Phil did with a girl who was sold into sex trafficking as a baby. She reached out to him to help get her out. Omg y'all. It was one of the most horrifying yet eye-opening things I have ever watched. Maybe next time I will save something like that for daytime instead of bedtime. 

mrsconn23kimmiinthemittenshort+sassyCharmedPam
  • @lyndausvi I worked a baby shower two weekends ago and had a woman and her friends lecture me three times about dairy allergies "you know, anything made with milk."

I wanted to say something like "I'm sorry, when your host set the menu, they did not ask for any dairy or gluten free items," but instead worked with the chef to make sure she had lettuce wraps instead of bread and a bowl of salad without cheese.  

Then the old broad killed a slice of cake.

@mrsconn23 while I agree that the kids weren't being body shamed specifically, I do have a problem with dress codes that unfairly affect one gender over the other.  Leggings bans are a perfect example of a dress code that disproportionately affects females.  Leggings on a child shouldn't be comparable to a grown man wearing a shirt with profanity on the front.  

I'm just not comfortable with the implications and the lessons we teach young girls when dress codes overwhelming tell women to cover up.  UA calls out provocative, see through, form fitting, midriff bearing, spandex, mini skirts and short shorts which primarily affects females.  They call out underwear showing clothes which would likely impact males.  That is not equitable.
    charlotte989875sparklepants41
  • mrsconn23 said:
    OMG @kimmiinthemitten, that's creepy and what the what at that cop.   Cops could use some damn customer service training.  You roll your eyes AFTER you get in your car and leave the scene.  Geeze.  

But seriously, the dude was trying to lure random people he doesn't know into a sewer.  Sure, he could have just thought it was cool and be clueless AF about regular social conventions.  The cop could have at least said, "Hey, why don't you *not* do that so *we* don't get called out here for a suspected creeper?"  Why, why is that so hard? GAH! 

Also, one of my most favorite podcasts is My Favorite Murder and their closing tag line is, "Stay sexy, and don't get murdered." So at least you did that?  ;) 
    @kimmiinthemitten and @mrsconn23 - seriously. the cop that i called to check out the guy that supposedly worked for the water company gave me shit for calling it in. Dude, this guy was in in my yard without permission, he wasn't dressed the way that the water company said he should be, he didn't have ID and wouldn't tell me his name, the water company didn't have any records of someone coming to our property, and there was a home break in nearby recently. maybe you need to just take a report of suspicious behavior, and bitch to the water company for wasting your time.

kimmiinthemittenshort+sassy
  • lyndausvi said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I did.    Seems like much to do about nothing.  And just proves how fast people jump to conclusions without having all the facts.

You want a free ride, follow the rules.  The adult(s) they were traveling with should have known better.
    I'm slightly on the fence on this.

In general I think they should have followed the rules.  You know what they are and if you don't like them then don't try to get free tickets.    Don't complain about the rules to those who enforce them but can't make changes to them.   

BUUUUUT here's where I think it goes poorly:

-United handled their responses via Twitter in what can be perceived as a cold manner.   We see here all the time that tone is difficult to interpret in the written word but there was a lot of "this is our policy" and only after the "we reserve the right to do this" did it come out that the travelers were Pass travelers.  They need to manage their PR correctly.  This is a time that they were technically correct but they're losing.  

-United has a published policy that is extremely strict for Pass travelers and is very gender biased.  

-United's Pass traveler policy is far stricter than that of other airlines.  If you review some of the recent polcies output by competitors such as Delta or JetBlue, they aren't nearly as rigid.   Maybe, just maybe it's time for United to examine what aspects of the policy need to be adjusted.   
    kimmiinthemittencharlotte989875Heffalumpsparklepants41
  • @lyndausvi I worked a baby shower two weekends ago and had a woman and her friends lecture me three times about dairy allergies "you know, anything made with milk."

I wanted to say something like "I'm sorry, when your host set the menu, they did not ask for any dairy or gluten free items," but instead worked with the chef to make sure she had lettuce wraps instead of bread and a bowl of salad without cheese.  

Then the old broad killed a slice of cake.

@mrsconn23 while I agree that the kids weren't being body shamed specifically, I do have a problem with dress codes that unfairly affect one gender over the other.  Leggings bans are a perfect example of a dress code that disproportionately affects females.  Leggings on a child shouldn't be comparable to a grown man wearing a shirt with profanity on the front.  

I'm just not comfortable with the implications and the lessons we teach young girls when dress codes overwhelming tell women to cover up.  UA calls out provocative, see through, form fitting, midriff bearing, spandex, mini skirts and short shorts which primarily affects females.  They call out underwear showing clothes which would likely impact males.  That is not equitable.
    One of DH's pilot friends posted about this on FB the other day. Airlines used to require that passengers with a pass seat wear business casual attire regardless of gender in order to be allowed on the plane- because they are technically reaping a benefit associated with being employed by the airline. So when you consider that, they've really loosened up the rules.