Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2017
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • SWebb1985SWebb1985 member
    edited April 2017
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • SWebb1985 said:
    Troll-city on this site!  Geez.  No, I would not go back and get rid of the Honeyfund.  I think it's a great idea and so far, a large portion of both of our families have commented on how they love the idea and love that we're taking a really nice honeymoon.  And they love that they get to contribute to it!

And FYI - I take Emily Post as my go to for etiquette and apparently, having a honeymoon registry is not as bad as you all think...  http://emilypost.com/advice/taming-the-wedding-registry/

Everyone has a different situation and does what's best for them.  You all did what worked for you and hopefully no one trolled you about it.  I'm sorry if they did though.  From this post, it appears to me that the only people who have an issue with Honeyfund are other brides....
    You already talked about how you didn't disclose how a honeymoon registry truly works to your family and friends.   If you said that they're really just registries for cash and the company managing the fund takes a cut off the top, do you think your family and friends would feel the same way?      The logic here is flawed.    You failed to disclose all of the information and thus opinions formed are going to be based on a lack of understanding.    Many times those who are against honeymoon registries are against them because they know it's rude to ask for cash and they certainly don't want to give only 90% of a gift.  

Emily Post is dead.   Her legacy is managed by others who also shill out for the wedding industry.  If you want to look into etiquette, go to it by a respected person who is still alive - like Judith Martin.  

Finally, those who disagree with you aren't trolling you.  That's not how trolling works. 
    edited April 2017
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    No one here is a troll.  You coming here with an idea so awful it upsets people is actually kind of troll-ish.  *end troll rant*

PP have covered why Honeyfund's are rude and a bad idea.  Regarding your thank you card question, I'd send thank you's asap (as you receive gifts), and then send postcards from your honeymoon destinations as you wish.  
  • SWebb1985 said:
    I'm calling out the trolls because so far, only one person has actually commented on my questions.  Everyone else just thinks it's their business to tell me what I've done wrong.  Fact is, it's done and how I handled it is between my family and me.  So if no one else can provide constructive opinions about my original questions, I think my business here is done.  
    The people who are disagreeing with you are not trolls.     I think you may be misunderstanding what a troll is.   I can assure you that those who posted thus far are NOT trolls.

You're absolutely right.   What you have done is between you and your family.   However based on what you said, it's not really defensible either.   You're allowed to have that honeymoon registry but you admitted that you weren't entirely honest about how they work.   Just think about that and how your family members are spending their money.

Finally, you didn't ask this but I would at least remove your name from your original post.   It allows me to search for you on the internet and I would only want your wedding web page to be seen by those you know.
    edited April 2017
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
    edited April 2017
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • The reason people post on things you didn't ask about but stated in your original post is so that lurkers or future brides will know that it is against etiquette to have a honey fund. Yes it is too late for you to change your plans but other brides might learn something. That is what these forums are all about. So yes, just mail your thank you notes asap.
  • Thanks again @southernbelle0915 and @ILoveBeachMusic.  I appreciate the feedback.  
  • I am sorry that you are so shocked at the reaction to your Honeymoon Registry.  If you had just done a little research before doing this, you would have found that they are very controversial, and that many people frown on them.  They are an invention of the travel industry.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'd like to point out I did answer your question about when to send thank you notes. You just didn't like the rest of my answer. Great cherry picking at what you want to hear though. 

• MobKaz said:

ETA:  @SWebb1985 said, "No, I wasn't completely honest and I guess the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  I told some of my family members that the site charged a fee but in the mix of planning a wedding, I honestly wasn't sure how to handle exposing the honeyfund fee to everyone.  So I just left it alone."

The fact that you worried about exposing this fee to guests indicates that on some level you already had to realize that this was not a great idea. 
    Yep, that was my first thought.  If I don't want someone to know something, I stop and ask myself why not.  Usually it's because, deep down, I know it's a bad idea.  Fortunately, I've gotten better at listening to that little voice.

OP, PPs are right: if you didn't "need" physical gifts, the solution was to not register, not to register for cash.  This always kills me: you don't "need" a trip to Rhodes (which does sound lovely) any more than you "need" a dozen place settings of china.  You were sneaky, and you need to own that so you can avoid a repeat in the future.
  • ernursej said:

My issue with a honeyfund is that no one would ever be okay with paying for a set of 12 plates at the department store and then the department store only sending you home with 11. Why would anyone be okay with that logic applied to money?

PPs have the TY etiquette covered.

I actually don't mind that the company takes a service fee off the top. My issue with it is that people think they are actually paying for the specific "excursions" when actually the couple can use that money however they'd like. That is the deceptive part to me. If I think I'm buying you a snorkeling trip, and you don't even go on the snorkeling trip then thats just wrong. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    Lurkers - you wouldn't host a wedding reception that you couldn't afford and then ask your guests to "donate" so you could do something outside of your budget.  The same goes for Honeyfunds - it's not your guests' responsibility to pay for your out-of-budget vacation that you can't afford (even if you do use the word "donation").

OP - you aren't the first bride to have bought all the pots and pans you need before you get married.  My FI and I have lived together for years and when I want something nice for the house, I buy it.  There is nothing unique about your situation.  We made a small registry and our guests know we don't need stuff (so they will get the hint that we probably prefer cash).  Oh and we booked our honeymoon that we paid for ourselves that was within our budget we set.

As to your original question, it's good etiquette to send thank you notes and acknowledge someone's gift when it is received.  If you sent a $100 check, would you pissed if the couple cashed it and didn't acknowledge your generosity for 8 weeks?  Probably. 

• ernursej said:

My issue with a honeyfund is that no one would ever be okay with paying for a set of 12 plates at the department store and then the department store only sending you home with 11. Why would anyone be okay with that logic applied to money?

PPs have the TY etiquette covered.

I actually don't mind that the company takes a service fee off the top. My issue with it is that people think they are actually paying for the specific "excursions" when actually the couple can use that money however they'd like. That is the deceptive part to me. If I think I'm buying you a snorkeling trip, and you don't even go on the snorkeling trip then thats just wrong. 

I definitely hear what you are saying!  To me, it is another big problem with honeyfund sites.  I like the idea of giving the gift of an experience.  And I'm sure there are some, maybe even a lot of couples, who actually go on whatever excursion it is that a guest paid for.  However, they don't necessarily have to.  They might not even go on a honeymoon at all.

There's just too much deception going on with honeyfunds.  They're dollied up websites to "look" like a guest isn't literally just giving the couple money.  And fees subtracted from gifts that guests may not be aware of.

While PPs are right that it is considered rude to register for money, I personally wouldn't mind the honeyfund sites as much if they had a big disclaimer where the gift is made that said something to the effect of "we'll be sending X and X a monetary gift equal to the value of Y event...with our Z% taken out."  But, of course, they would never do that.

Because then I, as a guest would say, "Oh! They want to go snorkeling while they are in Bora Bora.  That will be $137.  I'll just round that up and send them a check for $140...and, meh, knowing/accepting they might not go snorkeling with it after all."

This is no offense to the OP, just giving my opinion of why I side-eye honeyfund sites.  Though my side-eye is heavier for the sites themselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    @short+sassy - exactly!  Some close friends of mine registered for their honeymoon in Europe.....that they never took.  I refused to partake and instead bought them "Ticket to Ride: Europe" (they are big board game fans).  Apparently a number of our friends were not happy to find out that their honefund site did not give actual experiences and that they had been duped.  

• You know, now that I am thinking about it more..I bet a great amount of people who set up honeyfunds cant even afford the honeymoon they are planning. You should at least be able to pay for the hotel and flights and meals yourself and then the honeyfund would be for these extra "excursions". 

But guess what..if people want to give you an excursion or experience on your honeymoon, then they will do just that. They don't need a honeyfund account to facilitate it. One of my cousins asked me last weekend where we were staying on our honeymoon and details about the reservation so that he could call the hotel and arrange something special for us (of course I told him this wasn't necessary and we didn't expect it but I gave him the info if he chooses to do that then it will be very generous of him). When my best friend got married, I asked her for her honeymoon hotel info so that I could set something up for her as well. 

Point is that if you can't afford the honeymoon you are listing on your honeyfund, then you shouldn't be taking it. That is so incredibly rude that some people would set these up and then not even take the trip. If you are truly doing it only for the excursions, then some guests may gift you these excursions on their own. And other guests may give you cash, which you would be free to use on said excursions. Excursions are usually a small portion of the total trip expenses.