Wedding Etiquette Forum

Honeymoon Postcard Thank You's

2»

Re: Honeymoon Postcard Thank You's

• You know, now that I am thinking about it more..I bet a great amount of people who set up honeyfunds cant even afford the honeymoon they are planning. You should at least be able to pay for the hotel and flights and meals yourself and then the honeyfund would be for these extra "excursions". 

But guess what..if people want to give you an excursion or experience on your honeymoon, then they will do just that. They don't need a honeyfund account to facilitate it. One of my cousins asked me last weekend where we were staying on our honeymoon and details about the reservation so that he could call the hotel and arrange something special for us (of course I told him this wasn't necessary and we didn't expect it but I gave him the info if he chooses to do that then it will be very generous of him). When my best friend got married, I asked her for her honeymoon hotel info so that I could set something up for her as well. 

Point is that if you can't afford the honeymoon you are listing on your honeyfund, then you shouldn't be taking it. That is so incredibly rude that some people would set these up and then not even take the trip. If you are truly doing it only for the excursions, then some guests may gift you these excursions on their own. And other guests may give you cash, which you would be free to use on said excursions. Excursions are usually a small portion of the total trip expenses. 
    That's just it--I'm going to give you cash regardless. If you want to use it for your honeymoon, awesome. If you want to use it for your mortgage, cool. That money was a gift for you to use however you see fit. But people are running all over the place like they are entitled to a big expensive honeymoon. No one is entitled to a big trip, honeymoon related or not. You get the cash regardless of whether or not you have a honeyfund, AND you get the full amount. How is that hard to understand? 

I knew a couple who had a honeyfund for a three month Europe trip. I side eyed the fuck out of that. Their honeyfund was asking for over $20,000. Nope. You tacky greedy assholes can pay for that yourselves. They were even asking for work related items on it so they could be "tech savvy and work when needed." Oh hell no. 

• levioosa said:
    That's just it--I'm going to give you cash regardless. If you want to use it for your honeymoon, awesome. If you want to use it for your mortgage, cool. That money was a gift for you to use however you see fit. But people are running all over the place like they are entitled to a big expensive honeymoon. No one is entitled to a big trip, honeymoon related or not. You get the cash regardless of whether or not you have a honeyfund, AND you get the full amount. How is that hard to understand? 

I knew a couple who had a honeyfund for a three month Europe trip. I side eyed the fuck out of that. Their honeyfund was asking for over $20,000. Nope. You tacky greedy assholes can pay for that yourselves. They were even asking for work related items on it so they could be "tech savvy and work when needed." Oh hell no. 

CRAZY!! If that's the case, can I setup a honeyfund for a remodel on my house?! LOL. I've never actually been invited to a wedding where someone set one of these up, but I'd still probably just give them a regular gift. I'm the kind of person who likes to give physical gifts most of the time though. I brought a set of glassware to a "gift card tree" shower. Yep, that was me.

• levioosa said:

CRAZY!! If that's the case, can I setup a honeyfund for a remodel on my house?! LOL. I've never actually been invited to a wedding where someone set one of these up, but I'd still probably just give them a regular gift. I'm the kind of person who likes to give physical gifts most of the time though. I brought a set of glassware to a "gift card tree" shower. Yep, that was me.

My BFF asked me what we wanted for a wedding gift.  I gave her my registry information.  I wasn't even thinking about what I was saying, just joking around.  But I mentioned, "Man, we should have registered at Lowe's!  Just wait until (H's name) gets his honey-do list.  Haha."

My sweet friend gave me a pretty candle holder set...and a $50 gift card for Lowe's, lol.  I was thinking, "Eeek...I hope she didn't think I was angling for a g.c.  I was just being my usual dorky self."  Knowing her, she knew that.  But she took away an idea for something she'd know we'd use.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:

My BFF asked me what we wanted for a wedding gift.  I gave her my registry information.  I wasn't even thinking about what I was saying, just joking around.  But I mentioned, "Man, we should have registered at Lowe's!  Just wait until (H's name) gets his honey-do list.  Haha."

My sweet friend gave me a pretty candle holder set...and a $50 gift card for Lowe's, lol.  I was thinking, "Eeek...I hope she didn't think I was angling for a g.c.  I was just being my usual dorky self."  Knowing her, she knew that.  But she took away an idea for something she'd know we'd use.

My bff tried to set up a remodel "registry." She wanted to give people her bank info so they could transfer money to a separate remodel account. Thank god I talked her out of that one. 

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    SWebb1985 said:
    Never mind.  It's not worth the hassle. 

Thanks ladies and stay classy!
    You shouldn't delete your post.  It's considered rude (it's a DD or "dirty delete").  Plus, you were quoted in the very first comment, so you aren't accomplishing anything by deleted the OP.

Edited - OMG you went in and deleted all your comments too??  You were quoted!  What exactly does that accomplish except to make it look like you are having a tantrum?

• SWebb1985 said:
    Never mind.  It's not worth the hassle. 

Thanks ladies and stay classy!
    So glad you have seen the light!  Honeyfunds are absolutely not worth the hassle.  You are more than welcome!

• SP29SP29 member
    We had a fairly large gift registry (because completion discount!) and we still received 90%+ cash gifts. Part of which we used for our honeymoon. Honeyfunds=pointless (in addition to being all kinds of sneaky rude).
  • I wonder what dirty deleters do when they're wrong in physical conversations. What's the "unsaying" equivalent to deleting everything you've typed, dear dirty deleters? 
  • SP29 said:
    We had a fairly large gift registry (because completion discount!) and we still received 90%+ cash gifts. Part of which we used for our honeymoon. Honeyfunds=pointless (in addition to being all kinds of sneaky rude).
    Exactly...and you didn't have to pay a portion of those cash gifts to a website either!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited April 2017
    At least she doesn't feel sorry for our husbands!

This is from a lady who had a two night mini-moon in Kansas City, many years ago.  DH still fondly reminisces about our two night honeymoon.  That was more than 40 years ago, and we have no regrets.

I do not understand couples who think that an extravagant honeymoon that they cannot afford on their own is such a big deal.  You will have your whole life to travel together.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    At least she doesn't feel sorry for our husbands!

This is from a lady who had a two night mini-moon in Kansas City, many years ago.  DH still fondly reminisces about our two night honeymoon.  That was more than 40 years ago, and we have no regrets.

I do not understand couples who think that an extravagant honeymoon that they cannot afford on their own is such a big deal.  You will have your whole life to travel together.

That's a good point and it's true, even today.  My BFF has been married twice.  She and her first H couldn't afford a HM.  They didn't go on one.  She and her second H also couldn't afford much, but were able to go to a nice hotel for three days in a fun city about 90 minutes away from them.

I'm certainly not dissing HMs.  I went on one and am always looking for an excuse to travel :).  But only when it is comfortably affordable and with my own money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2017
    ernursej said:

My issue with a honeyfund is that no one would ever be okay with paying for a set of 12 plates at the department store and then the department store only sending you home with 11. Why would anyone be okay with that logic applied to money?

Love this analogy but have a slight nitpick: It's like a guest paying for a set of 12 plates and then the department store giving the couple store credit for the cost of 11 plates and maybe the couple uses it to buy a frying pan instead. Just ridiculous.