Wedding Etiquette Forum

Block Hotel Rooms

Just wondering if it would be bad etiquette to not block out rooms at the local hotel. The only reason I am considering not is almost all of our quests live close by and the hotel in town is not a busy hotel. Part of me feels it is unnecessary but part of me isn't sure if it would be in bad etiquette. I have only been to one wedding that blocked out rooms. So I'm in between. 

Re: Block Hotel Rooms

• Blocking rooms isn't necessary.  Plus, most hotels will only do that if you are expecting X of guests and it sounds like most/all of your guests don't need a hotel.

It's one of those things that is a "nicety" for the bride/groom to do if they are expecting a lot of OOT guests, but it falls more in the category of being a "plus" than being a "need".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Completely optional. Usually works best if you have a lot of OOT guests, but if the majority of you guests are local a hotel block is probably unnecessary. 
  • A room block is not required by etiquette. It's an extra convenience for guests. 

That said though, most hotels will do what's called a "courtesy block" where you aren't on the hook for unused rooms. At any hotels I've ever dealt with (Marriott, Holiday Inn, Hilton), they'll block up to 10 without any financial penalties to you.
    *********************************************************************************

• If you have any guests that are coming from out of town, and if you have a wedding website, I'd at least give the pointer that X Hotel is a good option. 
    Otherwise, you may be fielding e-mails/phone calls from people asking you where to stay. 

I bring this up only because I went to a wedding in a nearby small town where they did get a room block, but I happen to know even that hotel is pretty um... seedy. But it was still the best option over anything else as other motels were even... seedier. Even if people can search on their own on the likes of Hotels.com or whatever, it's at least nice of you to point them towards an acceptable place. Not etiquette-required, just nice. 

• corabeecorabee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Great thank you all for the info. I don't think I will do a block. Some things I am not sure as to what is necessary or expected, So I want to be sure the guests are happy and have a great time. But yes there might be one family that is an OOT guest. But booking a hotel should be no problem. 
  • corabeecorabee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I did plan to at least add the hotel in the invites or the directions. Which ever place I find best to mention it. The town the ceremony and reception is in only has one hotel. Which is brand new and actually very nice. So  at least their only option is a nice option. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We aren't planning to do a block but I did list two hotels and their contact info on our wedding website because we do have some people coming in from OOT.  

This doesn't apply to our family because we booked them each a house through VRBO so they can all be together close to the venue.

• Not necessary at all.

If your guests are local then it may not be needed and your guests may find better rates through travel websites.

You may want to throw a link to hotels you recommend as an insert card but you're probably fine. 

• I did plan to at least add the hotel in the invites or the directions. Which ever place I find best to mention it. The town the ceremony and reception is in only has one hotel. Which is brand new and actually very nice. So  at least their only option is a nice option. 

Since you have no actual relationship with the hotel if you're not doing a block, it seems odd that you would put it in the invite or the directions. What if it's all booked?  If you have a website you can list it there as a recommended option, but I think that's all I'd do.