Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

Re: Thursday

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I hope you feel better soon @pegasuskat. Ftr I wouldn't pronounce that blaze.  I'd say blize with a long I 
  • Options
    Feel better, @pegasuskat!

• Options

levioosa said:

SO woke me up early today because he thought I was late to work. I didn't work until 8 and between him and kitten, I didn't get much sleep. Then he started freaking out because there was a kitten in the yard that looked abandoned. We saw it a few days ago and it's eyes weren't open yet. Now it's eyes are crusted shut with an infection and it has a runny nose. I had him put it in a box under a bush with a towel and a hot water bottle. It snuggled right up to the warm towel. I don't know if I could classify it as abandoned, because mom cats often leave for a few hours at a time, but the fact that it was in the middle of our very open back yard, and obviously very ill makes me wonder if it actually might have been elected for Darwinism. SO is super upset about it, so I called our vet for a tentative appointment this afternoon if he comes home to lunch and there's still no mom cat in sight. Even our feral "back yard kitties" that SO is intent on feeding seem concerned for the kitten. They keep walking over to it but don't know what to do either. 

Otheriwse, I'm at work today. Uhh. 

Poor kitty! Please keep us posted!
  • Options
    @sparklepants41 We have both names picked out because M has had a long running requirement for names. Since his grandfather died when he was young, he wants to use "Jack" as a name. Which is fine, because John is a common name in my family {both sides}

Boy: Jack Michael Carson {my dad and his dad's name}
    Girl: Either Harper Jaclyn or Jaclyn Harper
    {I'd be hoping for Harper as first name since Jack and Jaclyn are super popular names}
    Side note: my uncle {mum's side} had a twin sister who passed away very young. Spelt Jacqueline. Hence why I don't wanna name our potential daughter Jaclyn - could hit a sore spot that may not be realized. M knows this.
  • Options

@sparklepants41 We have both names picked out because M has had a long running requirement for names. Since his grandfather died when he was young, he wants to use "Jack" as a name. Which is fine, because John is a common name in my family {both sides}

{I'd be hoping for Harper as first name since Jack and Jaclyn are super popular names}
    Side note: my uncle {mum's side} had a twin sister who passed away very young. Spelt Jacqueline. Hence why I don't wanna name our potential daughter Jaclyn - could hit a sore spot that may not be realized. M knows this.

Not sure about in Canada, but Harper is super trendy in the US right now. I had considered that for Harrison before we found he was a he until I found out just how popular it is right now.
  • Options

Not sure about in Canada, but Harper is super trendy in the US right now. I had considered that for Harrison before we found he was a he until I found out just how popular it is right now.

It's getting pretty popular because David and Victoria Beckham daughter was named it.
    I still love the name Harrison. Uncommon and different without being too weird :)
  • Options

6fsn said:

@MissKittyDanger Blaze. The kid's name is blaze. So strange if it's just going for the word. Wrong spelling if they were going for the Saint. 

DS has a friend that named his kid Blyze, Blaze with a Y and its a boy. I'm not sure what goes through some peoples heads when they are naming their kids.

I fell leaving my church Tuesday, I went down hard and have a huge fat lip, broken in half front tooth, and my hand is swollen. I have psoriatic arthritis, and have been in a flare for over a month. I think that's what made me fall, I stepped on uneven concrete and my right leg literally just gave way.

Last friday a huge tree fell in my front yard, son has been cutting it up and I've been dragging branches and stacking wood, so I'm really ready for this long weekend, I want to do nothing but lay around.

Hmmm...yes.  Sorry to your friend, but I need to call this stupid.  A "y" sound is not an "a" sound.  To just read it, it would never occur to me to pronounce in any other way than BLY-ze.  Like Captain Bligh...an "i" sound.

I am so sorry to hear about your injury!  That sounds terrible.  I had a really bad fall when I was in NYC a couple years ago.  Similar reason, I tripped on a big lip of an uneven sidewalk and fell with all my weight onto my right knee.  It took about 6 weeks before my pain started to alleviate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My funny random for the day.  It won't make sense, unless you're familiar with "Rick and Morty".

So, I peruse the "Housing Wanted" ads on Craig's List.  Especially if I have a vacancy coming up.  FYI, it can be a real "stick your head in the oven" depressing spot of CL because there are a lot of hard luck stories interspersed within.

At any rate, once in awhile, there will be ads looking for landlords who will take a Unity voucher.  It's a local housing assistance program for people who have previously been homeless.

But, as a big fan of the cartoon "Rick and Morty", every time I see the word "Unity" my brain immediately jumps to the episode where Rick is having a wild, sex-filled weekend with his ex, Unity.  Who is a "collective entity". 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It's getting pretty popular because David and Victoria Beckham daughter was named it.
    I still love the name Harrison. Uncommon and different without being too weird :)

I love Harrison too! 
  • Options

I love Harrison too! 

Thanks! He was going to be Olive if he was a girl. Norah was going to be Ellis if she were a boy.
  • Options

I blame Hollywood.

Tbh I thought the name M and I have talked about for a girl was weird for years because it's my grandma's maiden name,  but then it became an actual name.
    {fyi - it's Harper}

Harper Lee was born in the 20s so not that weird
  • Options
    My dad always use to joke that, if either my sister or I had been a boy, he would have named us "Fred with a Ph".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I blame Hollywood.

Tbh I thought the name M and I have talked about for a girl was weird for years because it's my grandma's maiden name,  but then it became an actual name.
    {fyi - it's Harper}

Harper Lee was born in the 20s so not that weird

True. But I've spent majority of my life hearing it as a last name ;)
  • Options

My dad always use to joke that, if either my sister or I had been a boy, he would have named us "Fred with a Ph".

I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

• Options

I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

It was the first thing that came to mind :') omg ....
  • Options

LMAO.  I don't even think it is real, but it's hilarious.

There's a nearby Wendy's I go to often and they ask for people's first names.  Then call your name when your order is ready.  My first name is Jenny.  JENNY.  You just can't get much more simple and common than that.  I even spell it in the most common way.  I also speak very clearly.  Yet, rarely do they input my name correctly...and I'm even counting other Jenny spellings with that.

I should really start making a list of all the creativity.  It's been Johanna, Germaine, various random letters strewn together that start with a J or G etc.  Though my personal favorite was Jemini.

Nowadays, I'm almost feel like Jennifer has become a dated name.  Especially if I'm on the phone with someone I don't know and can't see, like a call center, and they say something like, "Oh! I'm a Jenny/Jennifer too!"  I wanna do an air high 5 and say, "Yay!  Born in the '70s or '80s!  Amiright?!?"  But I control myself, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom's name is Myrna pronounced mur-nuh. We always knew it was a telemarketer calling when I was a kid because no one could ever pronounce her name correctly.
  • Options
    Feel better Pegasus!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

My mom's name is Myrna pronounced mur-nuh. We always knew it was a telemarketer calling when I was a kid because no one could ever pronounce her name correctly.

I have issues with my name too. It's considered a short form so I've had constant issues, especially when I worked as a server lmao

Lady: Your name is Katie? {spoiler}
    Me: Yes.
    Lady: Is it short for something?
    Me: Nope. Legal name.
    Lady: are you sure? It's not Katherine or Kaitlyn, or Kathy?
    Me: *in my head no I have no idea what my legal name is* Nope. That's my legal name *walks away*

edit: I got Kitty from young kids who speak very quickly and try to say my name.
  • Options
    I am notorious for rolling my ankle, @pegasuskat. It suuuucks. It usually happens RIGHT before i want to devote myself to the gym and then can't anymore. Funny how that happens. 

• Options

I have issues with my name too. It's considered a short form so I've had constant issues, especially when I worked as a server lmao

Me: *in my head no I have no idea what my legal name is* Nope. That's my legal name *walks away*

edit: I got Kitty from young kids who speak very quickly and try to say my name.

I have a friend who's name has a letter in front of a normal name...

For example, Jdawn (not my friend's name).  Her name is pronounced, Jay-Dawn.  One of our co-workers INSISTED that her name was J. Dawn, not Jdawn. And co-iker would SPELL it J. Dawn, not Jdawn.  So fucking obnoxious. 

• Options

mrsconn23 said:

For example, Jdawn (not my friend's name).  Her name is pronounced, Jay-Dawn.  One of our co-workers INSISTED that her name was J. Dawn, not Jdawn. And co-iker would SPELL it J. Dawn, not Jdawn.  So fucking obnoxious. 

That's obnoxious! I mean it's okay if you're first meeting the person and making that mistake but to just ignore if they correct you?

It is interesting with the spelling. Do you know if it was it a cultural thing, or just parents decided to do something different?
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

That's obnoxious! I mean it's okay if you're first meeting the person and making that mistake but to just ignore if they correct you?

It is interesting with the spelling. Do you know if it was it a cultural thing, or just parents decided to do something different?

I've never asked her where her name came from, so I'm not sure. 
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

All I can think of now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7xS54IGEGI
  • Options

@DrillSergeantCat, Myrna is not a common name, but I've certainly heard it.  Always pronounced the way you described.

@MissKittyDanger, I wouldn't side-eye someone for asking if it was short for something.  But then to question you when you say it is not.  Puzzling.

From what my mom told me, she always liked the name Jenny better than Jennifer.  But made my legal name Jennifer because, to her, she felt it gave me more options when I was older and could choose for myself.  It's probably splitting hairs, but she thought it would be weird for me to go from a legal name of Jenny to calling myself Jennifer.  But not so much the other way around.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy I'm with your mom. 
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

Oh!  I was recently watching the Vet Life.  And someone brought in a little pig named:

Chris P. Bacon

I thought that was so funny and clever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

Oh!  I was recently watching the Vet Life.  And someone brought in a little pig named:

Chris P. Bacon

I thought that was so funny and clever.

wait .... do you mean the guy who runs Demolition Ranch?