Chit Chat

UPDATE: Coconut Cream Pie

kaos16kaos16 member
First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2017 in Chit Chat

DH loves coconut cream pie. He talks about it often.  He has two restaurants that make his favorite.  Apparently they both have a one layer (for lack of a better term) construction.  I tried making one for him yesterday, which all our dinner guest loved, and he thought was ok.  It was a bottom custard layer and a top whipped cream layer.  That's not what he wants, lol.  Anyone have a recipe for a delicious combined coconut cream pie?

I called the restaurant where he had the amazing pie.  They sent me the recipe.  I made the pie and it was a huge, huge hit.  Now my MIL wants the recipe. . . . and I know she only wants it to try to make it better than me (from past experience).  I don't want to give it to her. . . . what would you do??

Re: UPDATE: Coconut Cream Pie

• I'd tell him to make his own pie. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    Two layers (custard + whipped topping) is pretty standard.  Does he not want the whipped cream on top?  I have a recipe that I love (everyone else seems to as well) but it's a custard layer + whipped layer.  It sounds like you have a winning two layer recipe already, but if you're interested in mine I'm happy to share.

If he just wants one layer (custard + whip), I'd make each layer and instead of assembling the pie and letting it chill, cover each layer in a bowl w Saran Wrap and let sit in the fridge separately for like an hour, then fold the WC into the custard (gently, like the way you'd fold egg whites into something) and then pour the combo into the pie crust and chill for an additional 2-4 hours.  Homemade WC folds into things really nicely but it needs an hour or so in the fridge to kind of become itself.

eta words 
  • eileenrob said:
    Two layers (custard + whipped topping) is pretty standard.  Does he not want the whipped cream on top?  I have a recipe that I love (everyone else seems to as well) but it's a custard layer + whipped layer.  It sounds like you have a winning two layer recipe already, but if you're interested in mine I'm happy to share.

If he just wants one layer (custard + whip), I'd make each layer and instead of assembling the pie and letting it chill, cover each layer in a bowl w Saran Wrap and let sit in the fridge separately for like an hour, then fold the WC into the custard (gently, like the way you'd fold egg whites into something) and then pour the combo into the pie crust and chill for an additional 2-4 hours.  Homemade WC folds into things really nicely but it needs an hour or so in the fridge to kind of become itself.

eta words 

That is how I make mine. I took a standard two layer recipe and allow for firming time before combining. I find I have to up the flavour in the custard as it dilutes in the mixed version.
  • I'd grab a random coconut cream pie recipe from the internet and send that.  Or, like @Starmoon44 mentioned, adjust it a touch.  Not so it is horrible because that might be too obvious, but just enough so it loses some of whatever it is that makes it extra good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker