Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2017 in Wedding Woes
One more day, one day more.  ;)  

I'm going to a concert with my sister tonight.   At least tomorrow is Friday, so only one day to limp through.  

DH's crazy aunt is in town.  DH said something about her coming over for dinner.  So, so sad  I have plans and have to miss her.  

Image result for laughing gif

Prudie day, woo! 

Re: Thursday

• Options
    @mrsconn23 , which concert?

I'm finally starting to get adjusted to a "normal" sleep schedule.  I actually fell asleep at a good hour and didn't need DH to kick me out of bed after hitting the snooze button 15 times.  Classes start Monday and I'm kind of ready ... I'm still in some denial that school is starting.  But, seeing preseason football on TV last night kind of was a wake up call that summer is ending.

So I'm in the midst of some drama already and school hasn't started.  There are certain grade requirements for a student to qualify for an honors level of a course.  This is my second year teaching, so last year I (crazy!) just went by the rule - nothing more, nothing less.  One of my students qualified for honors for next year.  But admin took a look at her grades from prior years and expressed concern that honors may be too much of a challenge based on that history.  This summer, another student inquired about going into honors for this next year.  I asked the counselor about the prior grades (similar to what admin did last semester) and made my recommendation in line with what admin did (even though it was an exception to the outlined rule ... which I don't necessarily agree with, but I know I need to follow the precedent of my principal).  Now the parent of the second student is upset and sent a scathing email to the counselor last night (I was copied on it).   I just want to be like,

Otherwise, I'm good.  It's oddly nice to get back into a routine.  
  • Options
    ha! at missing crazy aunt @mrsconn23.  love when plans work out like that.

I just have a few irritations today. Weekend plans were cancelled (friend didn't have a sitter). Remember when I told you of the friend who owes me for 1/2 the hotel and car for the wedding we went to?  Shot her an email (on the same email chain) and she ignored it.  I'm about to call it a wash but man do I feel like this ALWAYS happens to me (probably because it does) and the bride of said wedding confirmed she got my check and card but it's been almost three months now and she still has not cashed it.  What is she waiting for?  And who doesn't do mobile banking anymore?!? 

Buuuuuut we may see "Annabelle" tonight if H doesn't get called for work.  Go on opening night and get an extra 1,000 amc reward points!

• Options
    @mrsconn23  Oh no, you'll miss the fun ;)

Taking the bus last night and the front was super packed. Went to head towards the back, and smashed my friggen ankle bone on a wheelchair. It's one of those weird sharp pains that you know you'll have a bruise right away! 

Otherwise, not much last night. Seriously lazy evening ....
    I have to get on top of stuff tonight though. I have flowers to glue and I wanna throw our blanket into the wash.

M and I had a bit of a chat about M's family {his dad's side} since they are really religious. He's concerned they'll try to push religion when we have a kid. I told him that I don't think they will because I wasn't raised religious and turned out fine, but he doesn't trust them.
    I'd like to give our kid the same options I had when I was younger {but old enough to understand} to go to church. I told M if he doesn't feel comfortable with our kid going with his family alone, that I would go too.
    He really feels they'll be very pushy on the kid/us and doesn't want that to happen.

It'll be a deeper conversation if something comes up ...
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    @mrsconn23 , which concert?

Pentatonix.  
    jealous!!!
  • Options
    @mrsconn23, I'm so jealous, I love Pentatonix. 

My car smells like something died in it. I've all but disassembled it looking for the source, but nothing. I spend 2 hours a day in my car. This does not bode well. 

I have that pre-menstrual brain fog, so that's pretty much all I can focus on. That, and chocolate. I want all the chocolate. I had a meltdown yesterday because the battery in my flashlight died. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I am so freaking tired today.  I want to take the dogs pain medicine because it seems to knock her out and I'm super jealous.

Today I have a doctor appointment to get fondled (clinical breast exam) and then I'm working a rooftop party.  Tomorrow, I totally forgot, is new tattoo day!  Our last appointment was cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow - I'm so excited.  I'm getting a purple pansy just under my collar bone.  Liking tattoos and having a corporate job makes placement tricky and critical!
  • Options

One more day, just one more day!  At least Prudie will help us get through today together!

Not much yesterday.  Just yoga and dinner.  I really need to get working on my sister's wreath, so maybe that will be tonight.  Work has been busy, so by the time I get home, I want to just relax (well as much as a 5 month old lets you relax anyway!).

MrsConn -Toobadsosad you will miss dinner with crazy aunt!

MKD - Its best to have this all figured out before baby comes.  So I would suggest to keep having this conversation with M now.

Charmed - I would not email.  I would call friend and say, "Where is my money"  Emailing or texting is easy to forget about or disregard.  But having you on the phone, she can only hang up on you!  Don't give up on your money!  Think of what you could do with that money if its paid back!  Dinner and a movie with DH how many times?  How many new pieces of clothing? Etc.  It would be one thing if you prearranged to be paid back over time.  But you were promised the money quickly after the wedding.

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    yuck @atomicblonde, hope you get to the root of it!
    @Misskittydanger, not that I ever have to worry about this, but if I did have kids, religion would be up to them too!
    @Kimmiinthemitten, good luck with the tat! Sounds awesome.  One of our salesladies here had a chest tattoo put on even before she wanted to work in an office.  It covers well for meetings and whatnot, but on casual Friday's we all see it lol.

Found one more irritation.  I ordered an anklet for my fitbit 2. It wasn't cheap.  I measured my ankle and everything and gave him the measurements when I ordered!  It arrived yesterday and he triples the length. Like exactly tripled.   I think it's meant to wrap around the ankle three times (extra support) but I didn't want to triple it ;(   His order came with a note in it "We strive for 100% satisfaction to our customers, so please contact us before leaving any negative feedback"

oh you mean how you triple the length that everyone gives you?  

• Options
    edited August 2017

Charmed - I would not email.  I would call friend and say, "Where is my money"  Emailing or texting is easy to forget about or disregard.  But having you on the phone, she can only hang up on you!  Don't give up on your money!  Think of what you could do with that money if its paid back!  Dinner and a movie with DH how many times?  How many new pieces of clothing? Etc.  It would be one thing if you prearranged to be paid back over time.  But you were promised the money quickly after the wedding.

I know.  It could pay for another hotel night elsewhere (which we already booked)!  Thing is, we've never called each other before. We met on a message board (much like this) and like 100% of our communication is emailed.  We have met a few times in person but she's in CA and I'm in IL, it's been only a few times.  We have texted on a rare occasion so I do have her number, but a phone call would just be out of sorts.

• Options
    @OliveOilsMom @CharmedPam  We're kind of at an impasse. I'm open to exposing the kid(s) to religion but M expects his family to be very pushy and doesn't want the kid(s) to feel pressured. I explained I would willingly go with the kid if they {the kid} wanted to go to ensure that no pressure was being put on them.
    I'm non-denominational and was raised on more values than religion. M was raised Catholic. He's now atheist and would prefer our kid not get exposed to religion, but at the same time I've explained if we wait until the kid is older and more understanding of what goes on {"some people believe X, some believe Y, some don't"} then it should be fine. He has zero trust in that side of the family, they still push religion on us.
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 one of my coworkers is going to that tonight. She's been playing some of the music, I'm jealous
  • Options
    Awesome @6fsn!! 
  • Options
    That's terrific news @levioosa!  What a huge relief for all of you!
  • Options
    So happy for you & your dad, @levioosa !

• Options

@mrsconn23, have fun at the concert!  Perfect timing to avoid crazy aunt ;).

@CharmedPam, sorry to hear it's been a bummer day.  What a lousy, lousy friend!  Some people.  Confession: I don't do mobile banking.

@MissKittyDanger, Religious choice is so fundamentally important and is 1000% up to parents on how they choose to implement religion (or not) in their children's lives.  Hopefully the IL's will be respectful of that with your all's future kids, but that would be a pretty hard stop for me if they weren't.

I was home alone one summer when I was 12.  Some Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door and started their preaching.  I was too young to have developed the social skills to get out of it.  I told them I was Lutheran.  Figuring that would give them the hint that maybe the shouldn't be talking to someone else's child about a different religious belief.  But they carried on anyway.  So I just let them finish their spiel.  But wwwooooowwww.  I guess because I listened to them, only because I was too young and polite to say GTFO, they actually came back to the house a week or two later.  Except this time, my mom was home and she answered the door.  They asked for me!  I didn't hear the conversation, but I suspect my mom really shut them down, as well she should have.

@atomicblonde, yikes!  Sorry to hear about your car.  I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it.  You can be one of those crazy people who hang 20 air fresheners all around the inside, lol.

@kimmiinthemitten, congrats on your soon-to-be new tat!  I remember your post where you had a few pics of what you were thinking about with a pansy.

I'm also hoping Prudie helps get me through the day, lol.  Mid-month is my less busy, more boring time at work.

Some of you may remember, but I'm replacing the convertible top and its seals on my car.  I suspect that might have been where my flooding issue came from.  I went to a trim shop about 3 weeks ago, but none of his vendors had the top handy, so it was going to be at least 2 weeks before it came in.  It finally came in yesterday; however, I talked to him about waiting until I leave for vacation in two weeks before I bring my car in.

That actually worked great for them because their shop had some flooding over this last weekend from the NOLA deluge and they're a little behind.  It's great for me because it will take them about 3 days to replace the top and trim, so now they can do that while I'm out of town anyway.  Plus then, I'll be coughing up my $1800 balance just a couple days out from the 1st, which is when I get the bulk of my income.  Total repair of $2600.  So, so ugly :(.  But it is the life of owning a convertible.  It's not a matter of "if" your top needs to be replaced.  It's a matter of "when".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of the NOLA deluge, heads are ROLLING down here!  Shock.  Usually the City Council is useless and slow moving, at best.  But they are firing three head people at the Sewerage and Water Board.  That's the agency that also runs the pump stations.  The SWB had told the public and the city that pumps were working at full capacity and the flooding was just due to so much rain in a short time. 

That was a lie and they got caught.  Some pumps were totally down.  Their explanation was "oh, well we MEANT pumps were working at full capacity for the pumps that were available."  Mmm...hmmm.

They're also responsible for cleaning out the drains throughout the city.  But they never or rarely do that.  This also really exacerbates the problem when streets start flooding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  Worst part is it's not even IL's - it'll be more M's nanny {whom I adore, she is a sweet lady but heavily religious} that will be more pushy. M's parents would ask, but understand it's our choice.
    I have issues with JW's. One of my friends had an issue with her mum {still does, whole other problem though} and ended up living with us for awhile. For years she and her mum were JW's. They ended up coming to our house to convince my friend to move home with her mum and basically gave subtle mentions that my parents shouldn't have taken her in.
    My mum caught that and said "What was I suppose to do? She left her home without shoes and walked here. Idgaf if it's summer, I'm not letting her stay outside. Please leave."
    The JW's were so snarky. They didn't care that my friend's mum is {IMO} a toxic human.
  • Options

Leviosa - Great news for your dad!

S+S - We had a JW church near my old house and they would come by frequently.  I always would say "Sorry, I'm Catholic" and close the door!  Catholics - the scourges of Christianity!

When I was still living at home, we had Mormon's come to our door.  My brother loves to read (English major too) and has read the Bible for fun.  He was home from college, so he answered the door and decided to talk to the guys.  After a while, my other siblings are like "Where is oldest sibling?" Turns out, he was STILL talking to the guys!  He was debating one guy with Bible quotes.  So when the Mormon would say something, he would have a different quote that said the exact opposite.  He was out there for at least 30 minutes!  But for him, that was fun!

• Options

@MissKittyDanger, now my standard response when approached by a religious person is, with a nice smile, "Oh!  I'm so sorry.  But I don't discuss my religious beliefs with random strangers."  And you know I use my best and sugary "bless your heart" tone. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh shot guys- inappropriate ads are showing up on the pto webpage. We can't control the ads, but apparently it was x rated toys last night 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    awesome news @levioosa

I've been really lucky and usually never home when the JW's stop by.  I come home from wherever I am and find the pamphlet on the door. 

• Options

S&S, the Sewerage and Water Board has always been horrible. I haven't lived in NOLA full time since 2000 and nothing has changed. I feel for my peeps because they had dealt with so much.

Let's hope there will be changes. Time will tell.

• Options
    @6fsn at least it was the parents page and not the kids!
  • Options
    @levioosa, I'm so glad to hear your dad's okay!  Sorry to hear bralettes have disappeared.  Probably because summer is ending.  But hopefully that means "off the shoulder"/"shoulder cut out" dresses have/are disappearing also.  Have you tried Amazon?  I was shopping bras there about a week ago and, although I wasn't looking for a bralette, saw some of those for sale. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  I just don't answer the door.
    Accurate gif of me answering the door - except slower lmao

kittens GIF
  • Options
    @levioosa, I'm so glad to hear your dad's okay!  Sorry to hear bralettes have disappeared.  Probably because summer is ending.  But hopefully that means "off the shoulder"/"shoulder cut out" dresses have/are disappearing also.  Have you tried Amazon?  I was shopping bras there about a week ago and, although I wasn't looking for a bralette, saw some of those for sale. 

My favorite bralettes are from Free People.
  • Options
    Exhausted, didn't sleep much last night, and I'm starving (waiting for a coworker for lunch). 

Nothig new or exciting in my world today; we heard from the realtor finally, H smoothed things over (I hope), and she's been in constant contact now. I'm out of town next week for a conference and I'm realizing how much has to get done between now and when we leave. And I'm ignoring it. Seems like the appropriate strategy. 
  • Options

My favorite bralettes are from Free People.

LMAO, I don't side-eye them for other people.  But I would never wear them, so they have been really cluttering up...overtaking really...my cute dress searches.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker