Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

2»

Re: Tuesday

• Options

@mrsconn23, I don't as much mind the every day week or two kind of chores.  I most hate deep cleaning the kitchen, ie scrubbing.  Scrubbing down cabinet doors.  Scrubbing the floors.  Cleaning out the fridge and scrubbing down the drawers and shelves.

If my H would ever GET A JOB, I would definitely hire a housekeeper.  But I just don't want to spend the money for something **cough, cough** he should be doing.  I have been debating hiring someone to deep clean the kitchen.  It is sorely in need.

I've only hired a housekeeper once, but that was for my next door rental unit.  The guy was supposed to clean the floors and walls only.  He cleaned the floors well and "kind of" cleaned the walls, but not really.  However, we only paid him $50 and that was a great price even for just the floors.  Not exaggerating, they were the most disgusting floors I have ever seen.  A sticky layer of dirt/grime across all of them.  There weren't even voids where the furniture was, not sure how that was possible.  The walls were filthy in a lot of places also.  Don't know how that happens either! 

You scrub cabinet doors?!? Clean people are such a mystery to me. 
    I do this too - our kitchen cabinets are white so every little bit of dust and grime shows up and bothers me. 
    This is why I have a love/hate with white cabinets! We have white ones also, and great for picking up light but horrible for showing everything :(

I assure you, @STARMOON44, no one has ever accused me of being an overly clean person, lol.  But I appreciate it!

As others have mentioned, I also have white cabinet doors.  They get grimy and grey around the pulls.  The lower cabinet doors by the stove get especially grossed up.  I'm assuming with oil splatter?  They seem just a bit too far for that, but it seems like there are always brown spots and streaks on them that take extra muscle to clean through.  I don't clean them nearly as often as I should.  They have to gross me out for awhile before it overcomes my laziness and procrastination, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  I totally get what you mean. When M is off and I'm at work {or out, or whatever} or even at night, it's like "are you seriously incapable of putting away your dishes?" I mean our place you have to pass the friggen kitchen!
    I've learned - through chatting with people - that it's mostly a gendered thing. Women see things that are messy and men don't see it as messy. There are some times where it's opposite, or similar between genders but as a typical situation. Men just don't see the issue.
    {as to which we get mad and they call it nagging but that's a whole other thing lol}
    I won't say I was up at 2:30 this morning cleaning out a shelf so I could put a bunch of stuff on the floor away!  I mean I was laying in bed and all the items on my floor annoyed me and I wasn't even looking at them. They were pictured in my head.  2:30 am!

• Options
    @short+sassy  I totally get what you mean. When M is off and I'm at work {or out, or whatever} or even at night, it's like "are you seriously incapable of putting away your dishes?" I mean our place you have to pass the friggen kitchen!
    I've learned - through chatting with people - that it's mostly a gendered thing. Women see things that are messy and men don't see it as messy. There are some times where it's opposite, or similar between genders but as a typical situation. Men just don't see the issue.
    {as to which we get mad and they call it nagging but that's a whole other thing lol}
    I won't say I was up at 2:30 this morning cleaning out a shelf so I could put a bunch of stuff on the floor away!  I mean I was laying in bed and all the items on my floor annoyed me and I wasn't even looking at them. They were pictured in my head.  2:30 am!
    I do that. Mostly on the bus. I think about the things I wanna do, need to do .... plan to do.

We really need to get on painting though lmfao
  • Options
    @banana468 I'm so sorry about your cousin's anniversary. This is a tough day. Hugs for you.
  • Options
    We hired a cleaning person a month ago and it was a great decision. I've never been great at cleaning and my H does a good amount but then he'd get bitchy about him doing it and not me (he does it on days he WFH - sorry I'm not home at the same time to help dude). I was hoping it would motivate us to clean more to keep it looking nice but it might have the opposite affect of saying oh well just wait for the cleaning person. 

• Options

@banana468 I'm sorry about your cousin.

@white cabinet people.  I have dark cabinets and they show just as much shit.  They get wiped down every 4 months or so.  The or so being when my kids get in trouble or want money for something.  I put their butts to work!

• Options
    I'm not going to make it.  I have 2 hours left today and 8 hours left tomorrow and vacation-itis is definitely settling in.

SSDD, really.  No big news, just randomly life living of a too damn busy queer woman.  :smiley:
  • Options

@banana468,  I'm sorry this is a tough day for you.

@6fsn, I'm still jealous of your dark cabinets, lol.  White cabinets are the most popular, but it is my least fave.  I just don't hate them quite hard enough to change them out.  My all-time fave are cherry wood cabinets.  But my H hates those.  My ONLY shot is if the next house we buy has cherry wood cabinets.  Because he won't hate them enough to want to change them, lol.

@VarunaTT, it's like the week before a vacation is twice as long.  But then a vacation week is twice as fast.  It's just not fair, lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn said:

@white cabinet people.  I have dark cabinets and they show just as much shit.  They get wiped down every 4 months or so.  The or so being when my kids get in trouble or want money for something.  I put their butts to work!

yeah. i totally stole your mom's baseboards punishment. Wolverine gets baseboards, running the sweeper on the wood/tile floors, and cleaning the bathroom as either chores for money or chores for punishment. 

Our cabinets were white pre-remodel, and since the insurance only covered rebuild and repaint, we went with a light grey to help hide some of the dirt from the white. it does do better than white, but the dark dirt is still an issue. I will have wolverine wipe the lowers while i do the uppers, and have used a steam cleaner as well. 

i need to hire a cleaning company. i've been saying i will do it for the past year or two, but still haven't. i need to finish my big clean and get moving on it. 
    laziness is a bitch. 
  • Options
    I have yet to find a cleaning person/team that I think is worth what I pay. I always think that I can do a better job! I just need to do it. We have cherry cabinets. I think they show less dirt and grime than our white doors and trim that we have throughout the house. I probably should clean them before Thanksgiving but I'm helping fix a post funeral meal for a friend whose sister passed so not sure when I'll find the time.

Small rant - DS1 told me that DIL wanted wireless earbuds. So I ordered her some for Christmas yesterday. He emailed today to tell me she already bought herself a pair! Why the heck would she buy something like that 6 weeks before Christmas!? I have no idea what to get her now.
  • Options
    I have yet to find a cleaning person/team that I think is worth what I pay. I always think that I can do a better job! I just need to do it. We have cherry cabinets. I think they show less dirt and grime than our white doors and trim that we have throughout the house. I probably should clean them before Thanksgiving but I'm helping fix a post funeral meal for a friend whose sister passed so not sure when I'll find the time.

Small rant - DS1 told me that DIL wanted wireless earbuds. So I ordered her some for Christmas yesterday. He emailed today to tell me she already bought herself a pair! Why the heck would she buy something like that 6 weeks before Christmas!? I have no idea what to get her now.
    The wireless earbuds she asked for with a gift receipt...lol!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Seconded. 
  • Options

Thanks for this.

If my H and I ever replace kitchen cabinets for our own home, this is my new ammo, "We have to get cherry cabinets.  Those are the only ones that don't show dirt and grime like white and darker cabinets.  The ONLY ones!"  (I'm not sure he's going to buy that, lol)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Well she didn't actually ask for them, DS1 suggested them to me because she had told him she was wanting some. I think I will give them to her though. Someone told me they are easy to  lose so she can have a back up pair!