Wedding Woes

Good morning!

I logged on early....but I won't be in front of the computer for most of the day. Wah wah.

I'm cold-calling venues we want to partner with today, and then tonight I have my first networking event at this job.  I'm really excited, it's a new hotel in Downtown Detroit and has a 20's theme.  So I also need to figure out what I'm going to wear, and pack an overnight bag with clothes for work tomorrow.

I was also interviewed by a local wedding mag about wedding trends for 2018.  I'm happy to announce that TK will be happy with this one.  Industry experts report 2018 is all about the guest experience!  And navy is the new black.  And rustic is now woodsy, whatever that means.

Okay, Rose is barking her head off.  I must walk her before she gets pimp slapped by Truman again.

Re: Good morning!

• That's so cool that you were interviewed about wedding trends! And very exciting that 2018 will be all about the guests. It's about freaking time. 

This afternoon I am leaving work early to go get a cortisone injection in my left wrist (I have de Quervain's tendonitis) and I am SO EXCITED that finally I will be pain-free!!!

My jaw is still on the floor from the news about Matt Lauer this morning. Not at all surprised about the allegations, more surprised about his firing and the manner in which it was done. 
  • Matt Lauer??    Holy crap.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2017
    My jaw is still on the floor from the news about Matt Lauer this morning. Not at all surprised about the allegations, more surprised about his firing and the manner in which it was done. 
    THIS!  There's been rumors for years that he's at best a cheater and at worst a lech/harasser/etc.  But yeah, the fact that it broke like 5 min before Today started was crazy. 

I've never really liked him and always felt his co-anchors were better newspeople than him.  They should have kept Ann Curry and told him to kick rocks.  He was a total dick to her and basically made NBC force her out. 

Here's hoping they don't promote Megyn Kelly to co-host of the Today Show.  Ugh.  I'd rather see Savannah and Hoda for the times I do watch the show (like once a month). 

My mom called me this morning to tell me she was shipping Christmas presents for my dad to my house.  We got in a whole conversation about Lauer and all the other recent 'events' in the realm. 

Anyhoodle, SSDD around here.  ;) I'm ready for the weekend already, even though I just had 4 days off.  Our house was full of people and I'm dying to decorate for Christmas and make cinnamon rolls.  That's my entire weekend plan. :D 
  • Happy dance @charlotte989875

I'm in the middle of a project for a customer who I love but we're trying to make something we never have done that requires new tooling and we're trying to do it fast and yet I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO MOVE FAST.

::GRUMBLE GRUMBLE:: 

• edited November 2017
    I'm a daily watcher of the Today Show.  NBC is my local channel and always has been.  This morning I turned on the TV, rolled over to close my eyes, and hear Savannah announce the headline and rolled right back over and grabbed my glasses.

Good for NBC.  That's how you handle it.  I can't find it now but I read an amazing tweet that basically said:  Not all men have sexually assaulted women.  Many men have harassed women.  All men have remained silent at one time or another when women have been the victim.

I was in Vegas for the Franken allegations.  And while I think it's important to mark a distinction between harassment/behavior crossing a line and threatening behavior/assault, I think the above tweet sums up how I feel in general right now.  Men (edited to add:  as have women) we respect, look up to or thought to be allies, have all participated in this culture in one way or another and we all have a right to feel disappointed.
  • @kimmiinthemitten I giggled more than I should at the idea of Rose getting pimp slapped :')

I heard about the Matt Lauer stuff, but I'm not even shocked when this stuff comes out anymore. So many people have been accused lately. I read an article where a celeb chef - and spouse of Asia Argento - said Hollywood was due for a shake up and next is the restaurant industry.

Big wigs think they can get away with this crap and because for so long it was a "man's game" or "man's world" etc etc bullcrap.

ANYWAYS .... so finally got my new credit card and I have amazon orders to set up. M is helping me decide something code-techy mug for my cousin, but otherwise this - and a hickory farms order - is all we have left :)

I'm so proud of us. Amazon order have been sitting in my basket for a few weeks so technically I was done a few weeks ago, just waiting on my new card lol

Tonight we're taking the photo for fb announcement :) Last night I made a great dinner of fried red onion, yellow and orange peppers with rice, sour cream and cheese. It's a rough take on the burrito bowl I order at the Mucho Burrito. Wasn't exact, but still good and pretty healthy.

Plus I got some of the table cleaned up. I'm on a serious cleaning binge lately. Not nesting, just tired of the mess. M actually asked if this was nesting, and I was like "Nope. Just sick of this mess. I believe nesting is more specific but idk. I know it's closer to ending though."
  • @kimmiinthemitten, your interview is so cool!  Also, a 20's theme hotel?  Sign me up! You have a freaking awesome job!
    @charlotte989875, awesome news about getting the house off your hands before year end.

SSDD here too.  We have our holiday party on Friday, and a charity event tomorrow during the day. 

• @kimmiinthemitten, your interview is so cool!  Also, a 20's theme hotel?  Sign me up! You have a freaking awesome job!
    @charlotte989875, awesome news about getting the house off your hands before year end.

SSDD here too.  We have our holiday party on Friday, and a charity event tomorrow during the day. 

Chicago has a ton of them!  A lot of the Kimpton properties are 20's inspired.  Hotel Allegro is gorgeous!  I could live in their lobby bathroom.

Chicago has a ton of them!  A lot of the Kimpton properties are 20's inspired.  Hotel Allegro is gorgeous!  I could live in their lobby bathroom.
    wow.  It's so funny to me how I spend a buttload of money on hotels in other cities, but I never think of doing a "staycation" in my own city.  Which is pretty rad.  I checked the rates and they're very reasonable.  I may do that one day.  A downtown overnight!

• @charmedpam you can also get a goldfish for your room so you're not lonely!  You should do it!  As a wannabe Chicagoan I have no choice but to stay downtown and take the L around.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    @kimmiinthemitten, your interview is so cool!  Also, a 20's theme hotel?  Sign me up! You have a freaking awesome job!

I was just going to say Kimpton hotels and the Allegro. The Allegro was the hotel of choice for a former company of mine so whenever I was in town for work I stayed there. They had a nice complimentary wine tasting hour too

Edit: it is in the theatre district so a nice location if you wanted to also see a show
  • kvruns said:
    @kimmiinthemitten, your interview is so cool!  Also, a 20's theme hotel?  Sign me up! You have a freaking awesome job!

I was just going to say Kimpton hotels and the Allegro. The Allegro was the hotel of choice for a former company of mine so whenever I was in town for work I stayed there. They had a nice complimentary wine tasting hour too

Edit: it is in the theatre district so a nice location if you wanted to also see a show
    We've also stayed at the Allegro in Chicago. When we stayed they did a free wine happy hour!

Our wedding hotel was a similar style hotel in Buffalo... https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/trademark/buffalo-new-york/hotel-at-the-lafayette-a-trademark-collection-hotel/overview?ICID=IN:TQ:20171011:LINK:DEST:51765
  • kvruns said:

and seeing shows is kinda my thing.  I saw wicked twice already, but DH said he wanted to see it.  I don't know about seeing it a third time.  It wasn't THAT great. 

• Speaking of all the sexual harassment allegations going on nowadays, I was very disheartened to see Angela Landsbury doing the good, old victim blaming.  That women need to take some responsibility for the sexual harassment that goes on, because we dress and make ourselves up to be attractive.  Angela Landsbury!!!!  She's a legend in the industry (50+ years) and I've always really liked and respected her.  Goddamnit.  Another idol fallen for 

I'm going to have to google, because I know nothing of this!  

• @short+sassy  Really! I must look, who's been accused already? It probably hasn't been as big as Hollywood news but still dying to know. {Guy Fieri weirds me out ....}
    Also that makes me sad about Angela Landsbury :( Victim blaming never helps anyone. Dammit Mrs Potts, I had more faith in you! How would you feel if Chip was that guy *side eye*
  • @short+sassy  Donna Karran pulled the what are they wearing line.
  • @charlotte989875 - I'm SO happy for y'all! What a huge weight that will be lifted very soon. I hope you find a fun way to celebrate!

@short+sassy - what the actual fuck, Angela Landsbury? Classic victim blaming. How disappointing! Can stone aged ninny muggins keep their sexist, outdated opinions to themselves, please? PLEASE? 

So I read through some of the comments on Facebook's Today Show announcement. They're all like "innocent until proven guilty!" and "you can't just fire someone without proof!" People are just....well dumb and it makes me sad for America. First of all, innocent until proven guilty is a legal term and this is not a court case - NBC is a private company. And second of all, in order to end the multi-million dollar contract of someone with 20 years tenure who is basically the face of a HUGE money making show for them...and with not so much as a statement from the accused? I'm going to guess there's proof enough.
    *********************************************************************************

• @short+sassy  Really! I must look, who's been accused already? It probably hasn't been as big as Hollywood news but still dying to know. {Guy Fieri weirds me out ....}
    Also that makes me sad about Angela Landsbury :( Victim blaming never helps anyone. Dammit Mrs Potts, I had more faith in you! How would you feel if Chip was that guy *side eye*

I remembered reading in a recent article about sexual harassment in restaurants, that celebrity chef Anne Burrell had been sued for that.  Apparently it was in 2009.  But, in my searching, I found this article about sexual harassment lawsuits against famous chefs.  Though the article is from 2012:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_justice/2012/06/celebrity-chefs-dealing-with-sexual-harassment-lawsuits.html 

Of course, sexual harassment usually only makes news when it is related to someone famous.  I can't imagine how many thousands get reported to restaurant corporations and never make headlines.

A group of people I've actually been pretty shocked haven't come up in headlines recently for sexual harassment are pro athletes.  Not casting any negativity specifically toward pro athletes.  Like any group, I'm sure most of them are fine, upstanding citizens.  But, let's face it.  Most pro athletes are men.  With fame, money, and power.  So many of the ingredients we have been seeing in the other sexual harassment stories.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A group of people I've actually been pretty shocked haven't come up in headlines recently for sexual harassment are pro athletes.  Not casting any negativity specifically toward pro athletes.  Like any group, I'm sure most of them are fine, upstanding citizens.  But, let's face it.  Most pro athletes are men.  With fame, money, and power.  So many of the ingredients we have been seeing in the other sexual harassment stories.

But in the workplace they are actually low on the totem pole (I'm thinking of football, baseball, basketball stars...other sports are more singular).  Yes, they're the talent...but they're not making or breaking anyone's career, you know?  They have to behave and perform or they get cut.  

They don't have any power and that's the theme of all of these allegations.  Powerful men who could make or break someone's career or aspirations.

Don't get me wrong, pro athletes have their own issues with how they treat women (and other people), but it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't happen at work for them.   

I remembered reading in a recent article about sexual harassment in restaurants, that celebrity chef Anne Burrell had been sued for that.  Apparently it was in 2009.  But, in my searching, I found this article about sexual harassment lawsuits against famous chefs.  Though the article is from 2012:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_justice/2012/06/celebrity-chefs-dealing-with-sexual-harassment-lawsuits.html 

Of course, sexual harassment usually only makes news when it is related to someone famous.  I can't imagine how many thousands get reported to restaurant corporations and never make headlines.

A group of people I've actually been pretty shocked haven't come up in headlines recently for sexual harassment are pro athletes.  Not casting any negativity specifically toward pro athletes.  Like any group, I'm sure most of them are fine, upstanding citizens.  But, let's face it.  Most pro athletes are men.  With fame, money, and power.  So many of the ingredients we have been seeing in the other sexual harassment stories.

Patrick Kane from the Chicago Blackhawks was accused of rape 3 years ago (I think?) The story had some CRAZY twists and turns (like the mother of the accuser was involved somehow and the outfit she wore on the night had been tampered with and left at her front door (like serious "made for TV" movie shit) and then boom. The case was dismissed and nothing came out of it.

I always wondered if the "evidence" showed up in the media to make it look sketchy and him the "good" guy (also no evidence of his dna on her anywhere was reported) and he just paid her off to be quiet?   OR she really was the sketchy one (and her mother!) and tried to blame a high profiled athlete and it didn't work..... No one knows.

• mrsconn23 said:

But in the workplace they are actually low on the totem pole (I'm thinking of football, baseball, basketball stars...other sports are more singular).  Yes, they're the talent...but they're not making or breaking anyone's career, you know? They have to behave and perform or they get cut.  

They don't have any power and that's the theme of all of these allegations.  Powerful men who could make or break someone's career or aspirations.

Don't get me wrong, pro athletes have their own issues with how they treat women (and other people), but it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't happen at work for them.   
    I have to totally disagree with the bolded. Athletes get away with A LOT - even college athletes who make nothing and arguably have no power. Even athletes at D2 institutions who will never go pro get away with a lot. There's rape, and assault and harassment and murder and theft and DUIs and drugs...you name it, they're doing it and having agents/management/leadership cover it up because the athletes ARE in positions of power. They may not be highest on the totem pole, but they absolutely wield power. 
    *********************************************************************************

• So I read through some of the comments on Facebook's Today Show announcement. They're all like "innocent until proven guilty!" and "you can't just fire someone without proof!" People are just....well dumb and it makes me sad for America. First of all, innocent until proven guilty is a legal term and this is not a court case - NBC is a private company. And second of all, in order to end the multi-million dollar contract of someone with 20 years tenure who is basically the face of a HUGE money making show for them...and with not so much as a statement from the accused? I'm going to guess there's proof enough.

Yes, thank you!

It annoys the crap out of me when people throw around the term "innocent until proven guilty" on matters that are not related to a criminal trial.  And people do it ALL the time.

There was a long time congressman (20+ years) up for election in my district a few years ago.  Except he'd been under an FBI investigation for months on rico charges, ie money laundering, bribery, etc.  He'd already been served with a search warrant and it was public information by the time the election rolled around that $20K in cash was found in his freezer.  Because that's normal//sarcasm.  There was a substantial amount of other evidence also and he'd actually already been charged.  But the money in the freezer was the funniest and most memorable one. 

Oh, but he was a very popular guy.  Hence why he'd been elected 10+x.  And the hue and cry against the naysayers was, "But that's not fair, he's innocent until proven guilty."

Yes.  Yes he is.  That is why he is not in jail right now.  That's the way it works.

But voting for someone who is pretty obviously guilty of what he has been charged with and will probably be in jail less than a year from now (and he was), is completely nuts.

He did lose...but barely.  Ugh, it shouldn't have even been close.  People can be scary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I’m super happy. H isn’t home yet (and hasn’t read any of the emails) so I’m excited he’s coming back to good news. And our title company has a mobile closing unit so they’re coming to us Friday evening so we can sign! 

@charlotte989875 - I'm SO happy for y'all! What a huge weight that will be lifted very soon. I hope you find a fun way to celebrate!

@short+sassy - what the actual fuck, Angela Landsbury? Classic victim blaming. How disappointing! Can stone aged ninny muggins keep their sexist, outdated opinions to themselves, please? PLEASE? 

So I read through some of the comments on Facebook's Today Show announcement. They're all like "innocent until proven guilty!" and "you can't just fire someone without proof!" People are just....well dumb and it makes me sad for America. First of all, innocent until proven guilty is a legal term and this is not a court case - NBC is a private company. And second of all, in order to end the multi-million dollar contract of someone with 20 years tenure who is basically the face of a HUGE money making show for them...and with not so much as a statement from the accused? I'm going to guess there's proof enough.
    This is where I’m at; it had to be bad and it had to be credible for them to move how they did. 
    Not to mention, Matt's now worth millions.     If he feels like NBC was without just cause don't you think he'll be standing up having a press conference and issuing a statement about his innocence and intent to file suit for wrongful termination?  

You don't get innocent until proven guilty or "out on administrative leave" when you're a company.   Innocent until proven guilty is in the court system (at best).   NBC has an image to maintain and they can't have people in there who ruin their image.   

Welcome to the real world people.   They canned Anne Curry when she did nothing wrong.   Exactly what do you think is going to happen? 

There seems to be more abuse cases in pro athletes. Ray Rice and Lebraun James come to mind.
  • mrsconn23 said:

But in the workplace they are actually low on the totem pole (I'm thinking of football, baseball, basketball stars...other sports are more singular).  Yes, they're the talent...but they're not making or breaking anyone's career, you know?  They have to behave and perform or they get cut.  

But some of the news stories coming out aren't related to people who work for other people either.

It's people talking about a random meeting with a celebrity, who said or did something inappropriate to them.  Especially if they were underage when it happened.

In the work place, while they may not regularly interact with other employees of the team (though I'm not sure about that), they could definitely destroy someone's career.

If I were an HR assistant for the Saints.  And Drew Brees* sexually harassed or even attacked me.  Do you think the Saints would give two s**ts about me?  They would not.  They would scramble like hell to shut me up and do whatever it took, to make sure that story didn't get out.  And, while I used an obvious star player, I don't think the result would be much different if it was a 2nd or 3rd stringer who was the perpetrator.  My "offered payout" would just be less, smh.

*All the love for Drew Brees, who has never had a whiff of any such scandal.  Just using him as an example of a sports team's mentality.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker