• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Food and Cakes

Can you cut the cake with the side of a cake server or is a knife necessary for the cake ceremony?

edited April 2018 in Food and Cakes
I am looking at purchasing a designer cake server for the cake cutting ceremony however, there is not a matching knife available for purchase. Is a knife necessary or can we get by with just using the side of a cake server? The kitchen will cut and serve the cake for guests.

Re: Can you cut the cake with the side of a cake server or is a knife necessary for the cake ceremony?

• Most cake servers are able to cut through a cake, and most of your guests probably won't even notice if you use the side of the server or a fancy knife. If you're concerned the server won't be sharp enough, you could always test it out at home first (fun excuse to make a cake!). 
    OurWildKingdom
  • we used a cake server to cut ours.  this is not a big deal
  • This is very reassuring to me! Thank you!
  • ei34ei34 member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    H and I cut the ceremonial first slice with a cake server.  I’m not sure how the rest of the slices were cut in the kitchen, and I haven’t wondered that as a guest either. Not something to stress about :) 
  • If you go to replacementsltd .com you can purchase one that will match your silverware set that you'll likely use for a lifetime and not just your wedding.  IMO Money better spent because you'll be functionally able to use it without thinking you're pulling some big clunky thing out.  Unless there's a super thick layer of fondant you should be fine just using the server/trowel and really no need for the cake knife.  Or, you can purchase one that has a serrated edge along one side of the trowel/pie server.   Think of it as you're purchasing a photo prop, do you want something for the long term you can use multiple times a year or just your wedding/25th/50th anniversaries?

The rest of the cake gets cut typically using a bread knife either in the back or by the caterers by the cake itself.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker