Wedding Woes

Getting Over a "Bad" Wedding Day

Hi all!
I've seen a few posts about husbands getting too drunk/things going so wrong the bride couldn't enjoy the day, and I'm one of them :( Would love to share what happened & get some honest opinions before we discuss w/ a therapist this week. First, I didn't want a "wedding" - just a small, intimate destination celebration with only our closest friends and family, but he said he MUST have a big crowd/party and wouldn't relent. I was already upset about that, worried it wouldn't be about "us." So here's what happened:
-We don't live near all of our friends and family anymore, so my husband was excited to catch up with everyone who came to town. I left the bar around 11pm to drive back to our hotel because I wanted to sleep, and he chose to stay out with his friends & Uber back later. Fine. Figured he'd be home by 1 (two more hours), but I woke up every hour to find him STILL gone, and at 7am finally flipped out and texted everyone. I was shocked and so worried that maybe someone tried to drive him home drunk & something happened. Turned out he went up to his brother's room (the bar was at another hotel where his brother was staying) and passed out, but that's no excuse to leave me alone all night worried. His mom gets my text at 7 and wakes him up. The day begins with me getting no sleep, being freaked out, and now very angry at him. 
-I had appointments starting at 9am so I left before he got back. By the time I got back it was basically 2 hours til the wedding and I wasn't sure what to do. I was married before and this day/decision was really important and meaningful to me. I said I need to be completely happy about marrying you and now I'm not, it's not fair. He swore he wouldn't drink a sip of alcohol all day and I knew he realized he had made a mistake. Reluctantly, I agreed but said you absolutely cannot drink another sip and he swore to me he wouldn't.
-His parents arrive late for photos, then are off talking to their friends instead of coming with us for the actual marriage license signing, which is the whole point of the day - OUR marriage. Not his fault, but contributes to my stress. I have to awkwardly sit around fuming mad from the night before with my family and the officiant as he runs all over the hotel property to try to find his family (mine, of course, followed us to the room, because they were focused on us, while his are focused on chatting with their friends who I didn't even want to invite - remember I wanted an intimate day, not a huge crowd of strangers distracting from the point).
-The pictures sucked. I was too angry and it didn't feel authentic. That made me so mad because those are the memories of the day we'll keep forever, and I'm fake-smiling. The ceremony was better - his vows were nice and obviously it was just us on a platform and no one else, so I started feeling a little better because IT WAS JUST US.
-As soon as the reception begins and we get back to his friends, things go downhill. After the ceremony as I'm saying hi to everyone, my husband is at the bar drinking with his friends after he JUST swore he wouldn't. By the time they announce us to come into the room, he's drunk again and makes a big production walking into the room as if to present himself, with me literally trailing behind him trying to keep up. I was so shocked. We begin the first dance and I'm basically back to where I was for pictures - fake-smiling and miserable. The moment is not romantic, just sad and awkward.
-I try to dance with him a little after people come out on the floor and the real music starts but I'm so annoyed that he didn't come home all night, swore he wouldn't drink, and then starts drinking again. He steps on my dress and rips the bustle out. I spend 30 minutes in a bathroom with my friends having to safety-pin it and it looks terrible and falls out every 20 minutes for the rest of the night.
-My husband continues drinking despite telling me he's "not drunk." I remind him of his promise and he says "I thought it was ok to drink now." He's not falling over or anything but he's doing all sorts of crazy dancing, grabbing the microphone and screaming obscene raps, and just basically turns the night into his bachelor party, my worst fear. I sit off in a corner with my friends and we are all watching him and just embarrassed. For the next few hours he is just dancing with his friends loving the attention and I'm off to the side upset not enjoying the night at all, literally praying for it to end.

Soooo... I get that the "party" element of the wedding is really exciting for many people, but having been married before, it was important to me that I do this with a clear conscience, really feel connected and romantic on this day, and that it be about us. I couldn't believe that despite knowing that and making many promises to me that he'd focus on me and not drink, he went back on all of those promises. Even in his vows he said he'd "always put [me] first" so I felt like he broke his vows ON our wedding day. I reiterated all of this to him when we got back to our room and went to bed. Obviously didn't have sex. I woke up the next day still so mad and feeling like my day was taken from me. My friends and family just wanted to see me finally happy and instead spent the night seeing my husband act like a frat boy and consoling me. It really wasn't fair to me at all. I know he is "sorry" but there is no way to fix a wedding day. It's one day. Our honeymoon was nice (I planned the entire thing) but I was also disappointed that he didn't surprise me with anything the entire time. I kept asking him if he would do something to make up for the wedding and he said "Yes" but then the honeymoon comes and goes and he didn't even so much as order flowers to our hotel room. I just feel confused. I know he is a good person and "it's only one day" but it's a huge day to ruin for someone. He knows how he gets when he's drinking with his friends and he had months of warnings/requests from me not to do that on our wedding, but did it anyway -- twice (because he had a chance to turn it around after he didn't come home the night before but then made the same mistake again). I am just having trouble getting over it. How do you get past something like this? Has anyone else had a similar experience and gotten over the sad/angry feelings? If he had hired a photographer to take some pictures of us on our honeymoon that would have been an example of how he could have made up for it, but I just feel like he's not DOING anything? Any help is so appreciated.

Re: Getting Over a "Bad" Wedding Day

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    I'm sorry that your wedding day didn't go as you hoped. I think you are doing the right thing by seeking therapy.

But while you're there, you have some serious issues to address. You aren't going to get another wedding day back, so you need to focus on the here and now.

Your husband's drinking, failure to come home, and failure to respect his promise to you not to drink on your wedding day are serious issues. I'd consider Al-Anon or a similar support group in addition to your therapy.

That said, as PPs note, you agreed to the big wedding even though it wasn't what you wanted, and his family was entitled to visit with each other. I'm not clear on why the license signing was a moment that required their undivided attention (I would have thought the vow exchange and being pronounced married was the highlight of the ceremony). And yes, while it's understandable that his behavior was obnoxious and made you angry, you chose to be in a bad mood.

I'm also not clear on what gesture he was supposed to make that would have "made up" for his wedding day antics. If you didn't specify what you wanted him to do, let alone didn't make clear that the gesture was supposed to compensate for what you missed in your wedding day, that may be why he didn't make o,e on your honeymoon.

• Thank you for your advice. We did family photos outdoors before the ceremony and then asked everyone to follow us inside to sign the marriage license directly after that, before the guests arrived. We were on a schedule trying not to be seen by arriving guests, plus everyone knew how stressed I was from him not coming home the night before, so it would have been nice if his parents could have just stuck to the task at hand and focused on us instead of falling behind to chat with friends and delaying everything. We hosted the wedding fyi.

As for drinking, I barely do. He barely does around me either -- but had a reputation in the past for being a huge partier throughout his 20s and 30s. By the time I met him he was almost 40 and in a different place. So the person I know is a mature adult, and I've only seen him be "party guy
     2-3 times at some other events (being loud, dancing wildly, wanting all eyes on him) and it was annoying for sure but I never thought he'd do that at our wedding, and we had specifically discussed that before I agreed to have one. He agreed he wouldn't act like that months ahead of the day. In our day to day life he is kind and respectful and has a career and responsibilities, so he isn't interested in getting drunk. I felt like the wedding was a bait and switch where I showed up to marry the person I know, but then he reverted back to old habits to impress his friends and disregarded everything we talked about. 

The specific issues for me were just that I had to feel hurt on the day of (by him not coming home the night before, him acting like an idiot instead of the person I know, dancing like an idiot and rapping inappropriate lyrics on the microphone) instead of it being romantic and fun for me. We spent SO much money on the wedding because he wanted this big affair at a beautiful high end venue, so the fact that he acted like a drunk fool was offensive and a shock to me. I can't get that money back, and I deserved to have a nice wedding day too. So what I expect is really for him to a) never get that drunk again. b) realize he doesn't "owe" his friends anything and stop trying to impress him like he did in college. c) some sort of romantic moment/gesture on the honeymoon to make up for the wedding (which didn't happen). I just felt like he should know to do this, but maybe I'm wrong to expect it?
  • @banana468 I've been married 35 years and H knows my favorite jeweler so well she calls him when she gets a piece she knows I will like! He now knows just to go there when shopping for gifts. Point being OP, you can't expect your H or any other person to read your mind about what you want. You have to tell them.
  • The best thing about the past is - it's OVER!  

There is a lot going on.  Give your IL's a "pass" because they did what hosts are suppose to do.  Your H OTOH, the problem is that you BOTH didn't set the ground rules before the event even started planning this huge event (there's a reason most employers have a policy for behavior/consumption of alcohol at events).  You now know he cannot keep track of how much alcohol he consumes once he starts and this is something that is going to need to be addressed.  There are just a lot of warning signs regarding him and alcohol in your post which needs you both when he's in a sober state to have a "come to Jesus" about because people don't change just because you've now got a ring on your finger, this should have been addressed before you said "I do" because it sounds like you've got buyer's remorse in the tone of what you posted, OTOH, you're one of the "L's" in his life and need to stand firm for what you're willing to accept.  His behavior didn't/doesn't respect you, period.  "Knows he messed up" in YOUR mind and "He knew he messed up and changed his behavior such that I've never experienced that form of stupidity ever in my life since our wedding night" are two entirely different things.  This should have been part of premarital discussions because how you both behave around alcohol can easily become a deal breaker.  

That said, you aren't the first and you won't be the last bride whose groom either was still inebriated while saying vows, or wasn't up to the what you thought was their task on their wedding night.  The question is what's next, you say "I'm glad that's over! Now I'm reminded of why I didn't want the big wedding in the first place!  I never have to do that again, is there any leftover cake?  What's on Netflix tonight to watch while on the treadmill?"...  Give yourself a time to grieve the perfect day wasn't, and decide what you want to focus your attention on next because this is wasting far too much of your time already that you can be out doing other things instead..

• Agree with PPs. I do think you should give yourself permission to be very upset about everything for 1 evening. Eat all the cupcakes, watch sad movies, do anything you want to grieve the loss of an expectation. After that, you need to move forward with plans for how to communicate better (both of you need to do so), deciding on how to decision make together and determining how to move forward. Counselling is great and I believe that more couples should go before AND after to ensure they stay on the right track.

The number one reason marriages have problems is communication breakdown. It sounds like you had different expectations but failed to properly communicate those expectations to each other. This can be fixed going forward.  

• So I just want to add; drinking “too much” one night, even two nights, does not *necessarily* mean the H has a problem with alcohol/is an alcoholic/needs help with his drinking. I get there is a lot of confusion about addiction and/or substance use/misuse but (and I know I say this on a lot of posts) getting drunk doesn’t automatically = a drinking problem. 

Im not trying to say the OP shouldnt talk to him about alcohol use if she is worried about it, absolutely she should, but unless there is much more to the story the idea that there are a ton of red flags about his drinking seems a little rash to me. 
    I agree - I'm primarily referring to just in general drinking things like "if you're going to stay out all night please give me a call to let me know" type things.   Or "if you think you've had too many, call me and I'll pick you up.."  
  • Thank you all! Trying to answer all of the great questions. We were together a year before getting engaged. I've seen him at plenty of other weddings when he acted completely fine (just normal drunk and we danced and had fun), and one where he was annoyingly drunk and embarrassed me a little (whistling and being too loud and immature, etc.) but I let it go because it was just the one time. The drinking to this degree (where he forgets to check his phone/passes out and doesn't come home) has never happened before, so it's not something I worry about happening again, I just thought it was so disrespectful to do it at our wedding since we had discussed that I hate when he acted like that another time at a friend's wedding, and in this case it was another level with not even coming home PLUS the drunk antics the next day after I was already upset. I think he got overly excited around his friends, but it sucks to take the backseat to other people and feel like the person who is less important when it's YOUR wedding.

HIS friends had a great time, but if any of them acted like he did their wives would be livid. My friends were split -- some were like "Ha, he's so fun!" and others were like "Oh man." It's mostly that he let an extreme side of his personality out that's a bit shocking and not really appropriate for a wedding at our venue and at our age. Specific example of what upset me: You don't grab a microphone and rap a song with explicit lyrics in front of my niece and nephew and your boss, nor do you do it at a fancy and expensive venue like we had. It just wasn't right and sober him would NEVER do that. 

I tried to be specific about how he could make me feel better (and I know "plan a surprise on the honeymoon" wasn't "specific" but it was some direction at least). I also suggested breakfast in bed, things like that. He didn't do anything though, because he thinks everything is fine since I'm acting perfectly nice and normal, but inside I'm still upset about it. If he did something like that right away, before this lingered and festered, it would have made me feel better. But I didn't feel like he made any such gesture and am still upset, so that's why we're going to therapy.

I definitely don't think AA would help here. He barely ever drinks and knows there are only specific situations where he drinks THAT much and gets that drunk and annoying, so it's not something that happens regularly -- just a rare glimpse into his single partying days of the past. Literally 3x in our entire 2 year relationship, one being our wedding day, did I see him annoyingly drunk.We've never been to counseling so I think this will help just put a nail in this so I can move on. Reading all of these great responses, and appreciate the advice!
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Have you ever had a difficult discussion with your husband before? Letting it fester while you pretend everything is fine and dandy is not the way to go. 
  • When I first started dating FI, I had a lot of maladaptive behaviors that were the result of a previous long term and abusive relationship. One of those was expecting FI to know when I was upset, why I was upset, and how to fix it. In my last relationship, I actually started off with really good communication skills, but when it was ignored repeatedly I started to change to become more sullen and passive aggressive. Or I'd pretend everything was fine until I'd get really upset. Not healthy. When I started dating FI, I found myself repeating those patterns. I had to stop and consciously tell myself to communicate again. And guess what? When I stopped expecting FI to magically know what was in my mind, things got way better. He wasn't frustrated that my anger was coming out of the blue, and I wasn't frustrated because I felt like my concerns were being ignored. 

Previous to this, have you actually talked to your husband when you've had concerns/have been upset? Or is this a pattern you've had for awhile, and it's just blown up? I definitely think you need to talk to him about the events, and I think talking to a counselor is a good idea, but you have to let some of this go. For my FBIL's wedding, there are no family photos. FI's sister didn't show up to the wedding ceremony (she decided morning of to schedule a non-essential maintenance appointment at her apartment) and his brother decided on the fly not to go to the reception (no actual reason, just decided day of he didn't feel like it). Was that annoying? Sure. It was really rude. I expect something similar like that at our wedding. But I'm already letting it go and giving it a good eye roll because it's out of my control. People will act how they want to act. Your H's family dropped the ball. Okay. Let it go. Holding onto it is not helping anyone. 

• This makes a lot of sense: "I just get the impression that you had a vision in your head of how things went and when his actions were incongruous with this vision in your mind it's led to unresolved feelings about the event as a whole."

That's definitely a big part of it. All the months of planning a fancy, sophisticated wedding led me to believe my groom was not going to be so drunk he wouldn't come home and then act like a frat boy and embarrass me at the reception. If that was the case we could have had a backyard BBQ wedding. It just set up the entire day on a terrible note, and when he promised not to drink and be on his best behavior, but then did/wasn't, it felt like it went even more downhill after an already bad start - double the disappointment.

So, yeah, it would have been nice if he did something on the honeymoon that made me feel special since the entire wedding ended up with him as the center of attention (it looked like his 21st bday more than a wedding), but at this point I just need a way to let go of the disappointment. That is actually what I want, it's just hard because I see brides saying how it's the "best day" of their lives and feeling so special, but I didn't. I could have left and he wouldn't have even noticed. I appreciate all of the comments helping me sort this out!
  • OP, would you have been as upset imwith his actions had the venue been a backyard BBQ and not, as you put it a fancy/expensive/sophisticated venue? 
  • If he told me he wanted a more casual, inexpensive venue (e.g. backyard barbecue) so that he could act wild I would have been able to say right then I'm not comfortable with that. He wanted something impressive and high end, so to me that implied a certain level of behavior from him :) That's where I felt duped.