Wedding Woes

Kicking off another week

2»

Re: Kicking off another week

• The Squirrel Hill Synagogue shooting is so awful. I feel sick and scared. One of the women survived the fucking Holocaust, but she couldn’t attend a Saturday meeting in Pittsburgh safely. I’m so angry and tired.

And I’m going to be extra pissed if Democrats fuck up this election too with indecisiveness and lack of voting numbers. This isn’t right. It isn’t normal. I want people to fight back. 

This weekend was okay. FI went up to visit his parents and I had a pretty good night with a bottle of wine, Netflix, and homework. I also got some good decluttering done since he wasn’t home. He’s kind of a pack rat. Yesterday FI and I were a little out of sorts with each other for some reason. I’m sure it will pass, it just felt like it was out of the blue. 

@charlotte989875 I would be so annoyed too. I would definitely say something. It was really rude and inconsiderate. 

• levioosa said:
    The Squirrel Hill Synagogue shooting is so awful. I feel sick and scared. One of the women survived the fucking Holocaust, but she couldn’t attend a Saturday meeting in Pittsburgh safely. I’m so angry and tired.
    I hate being this person, but a friend of the family is making sure to say this every where they see it so that the family doesn't have to, so I can suck it up as an unknown: Rose Mallinger wasn't a Holocaust survivor.  Age wise she lived through that era, but she herself wasn't part of it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting-holocaust-survivor/
  • VarunaTT said:
    levioosa said:
    The Squirrel Hill Synagogue shooting is so awful. I feel sick and scared. One of the women survived the fucking Holocaust, but she couldn’t attend a Saturday meeting in Pittsburgh safely. I’m so angry and tired.
    I hate being this person, but a friend of the family is making sure to say this every where they see it so that the family doesn't have to, so I can suck it up as an unknown: Rose Mallinger wasn't a Holocaust survivor.  Age wise she lived through that era, but she herself wasn't part of it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting-holocaust-survivor/
    Ugh. My bad for not following through with media claims. I did read about the doctor you mentioned though. It’s all heartbreaking. 

• Ditto the sentiments re the synagogue shooting.  I’m sadly used to the headlines but it’s sickening, heart-breaking and defeating at the same time.

And this post is the first I’ve ever heard of re-scheduling/canceling Trick or Treating.  Is that a small town thing?  You ToT on Halloween and on no other day around here...even if someone tried to reschedule it I just can’t see the masses listening.  I’m intrigued.
  • I realize this is a petty thing to be upset about in light of the synagogue shooting.

But on the grander scheme of social woes, this feels like some of the same "looking how socially responsible we are" for advertising purposes, when we're actually not doing much.  My work's annual United Way Campaign has just rolled out, smh.

If employees don't specifically designate a charity they want their contribution to go to, it is given to the local UW chapter.  Who spends 87% of donations on "administrative costs".  Nope.  I did not get that backwards.  The vast majority of their donations are just to run their organization.  It's disgusting.  And I tell my company every year exactly why I have no intention of participating. 

Last I checked, the CEO of just this local chapter makes $187K/year.  Trust me, y'all.  In light of that, I am much more in need of my money than they are (eye roll).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I realize this is a petty thing to be upset about in light of the synagogue shooting.

But on the grander scheme of social woes, this feels like some of the same "looking how socially responsible we are" for advertising purposes, when we're actually not doing much.  My work's annual United Way Campaign has just rolled out, smh.

If employees don't specifically designate a charity they want their contribution to go to, it is given to the local UW chapter.  Who spends 87% of donations on "administrative costs".  Nope.  I did not get that backwards.  The vast majority of their donations are just to run their organization.  It's disgusting.  And I tell my company every year exactly why I have no intention of participating. 

Last I checked, the CEO of just this local chapter makes $187K/year.  Trust me, y'all.  In light of that, I am much more in need of my money than they are (eye roll).

Ugh we do United Way too. Believe it or not, I decided to stop supporting after I got added to their mailing list and they advertised a women's fundraising event that centered around shoe shopping. 
    Because all women care about is shopping for those shoes, amiright? The sexism was blatant with that one. 

• We had our first weekend at home in three weeks. Got lots of stuff done around the house and yard. Went to a Halloween party Saturday night. Great time. Yesterday was church and cleaning house, working on Christmas stockings.

@charlotte yeah I would say something to her too. She should've at least called to say she wasn't coming over.

@mrsconn23 glad your mom is doing better at home.

The sadness over the shooting can't even be put into words.

I have those same thoughts toward UW. I was never a huge fan to begin with but always did a small donation to stay on the good side of my old company. The local chapter is a client of ours and when they first came on board they had something like 12 HR people on staff for an organization that really needed like 3 for their size and it was just like how much waste is going on here. They've since trimmed it down but still

Ugh we do United Way too. Believe it or not, I decided to stop supporting after I got added to their mailing list and they advertised a women's fundraising event that centered around shoe shopping. 
    Because all women care about is shopping for those shoes, amiright? The sexism was blatant with that one. 
    We have one of those shoe shopping fundraiser things too, only it was wine, women, and shoes.  I was even more annoyed when their event did a "special" on the "husbands of the shoe ladies".  And it was for our local victim advocacy center.  It was just painful to me.

I know that you have to attract people in with the party to get them to spend money to fundraise.  But some of this stuff is getting pretty obtuse between the mission of the organization trying to fundraise and the "party" (looking at you, black eye campaign). 

I'm totally biased, but I think our big LGBTQ+ fundraiser does it right.  They are the largest in the state (a big achievement for only the 3rd largest city) and last year raised $102K for all local LGBTQ+ organizations.  Once the apps are in, they make videos of each organization they're helping and show it during the dinner.  And they bring in a LGBTQ+ speaker of national importance.  Yeah, it's still a party, but you see the faces and connect with the organizations the fundraiser is supporting and the faces of those supported.  One of the LGBTQ+ youth groups are even there, selling corsages that are donated by one of the local florists, as a fundraiser.
  • eileenrob said:
    Preach @banana468...I don’t like when teams currently doing well hang on to the past.  Although the post season overall bored me.  For the most part it was the same ole teams.  
    What your sister did was wrong @charlotte989875.  I hate when people in general don’t apologize, just gloss over with a casual “we did this instead”. I brought/still bring my three littles around...it’s a lot but it can be done.  Ugh that tenant is still causing you headaches @short+sassy, ouch!

Weekend was great.  The kids had some nice Halloween activities, I think I was baking every moment I wasn’t at an event, and one of my cakes (a “creepy cobweb cake”) actually won 3rd place at a preschool party! I hadn’t even realized they were being judged, lol.

Aannd I posted in Hashags but my youngest sister got engaged yesterday!! Her fiancé is wonderful and they’re so in love, I’m just thrilled :) (@climbingwife they were actually hiking Lemonsqueeze at Mohonk and he proposed in one of the caves!). She’s very low key and my mother and sister (and sometimes me) can be a little over the top but the planning kickoff should be fun.  

AHHH that is so awesome! They got engaged while we were there! We almost always do Lemonsqueeze but actually opted not to, and did Giant's Playground instead. So funny! Congrats!