Wedding Woes

Christmas stealing stepdaughter

Dear Prudence,

My husband had three grown children before I married him. His two sons are successful adults, while his daughter would rather do anything than work. She has three children and isn’t in touch with their fathers. We have paid for technical training, child care, and a car. My stepdaughter dropped out because the training was “too hard.” We arranged for jobs, and she didn’t bother to show up. We stopped giving her money after it became apparent all the “emergencies” were made up (give her rent money, and it would never be spent on rent). She and the kids live with her maternal grandmother. We visited last week and had an early Christmas. We made sure all the grandchildren had new shoes and winter coats, and we bought bikes for the older two boys. Only our oldest grandson let it slip when we called that as soon as we left, his mother stripped her children of all the gifts we gave them and tried to return them to the store for cash. She sold the bikes for a pittance online. My husband is furious, and I feel sick. We don’t know what to do, and every option is awful. If we confront my stepdaughter, she will throw a fit. Or she will take it out on the kids. Or cut us off from them entirely (she has done that to her brother and mother already). We love our grandchildren.

—Would-Be Givers

Re: Christmas stealing stepdaughter

• Oh shit. This sucks. I've got nothin' here. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • She lives with her maternal grandmother?   At this point if there's an ex-wife in the picture at all I'd probably reach out to her.  If this mom is stealing from her kids and will sell the coats of their backs then I wonder what grandma's checkbook looks like.   That would be a red flag to me that I'd hope that my ex wife (if she's cognizant and somewhat moral) would want to know that her daughter at minimum is incapable of maintaining any semblance of decent finances and robs from her children.   Behavior like this more often than not is a sign that there is some kind of addiction.

Are there other signs that the children are in any good condition at all?    If reaching out to the wife leads to a dead end then what about tough love and call DCF?  If that's not an option then tell your daughter and grandchildren that the gifts they get are to be used at grandma and grandpa's house. 
  • This breaks my heart.
  • Damn this one sucks. 

I’d have the husband contact the grandmother SD is living with and check in. Make sure everything is on the up and up. Maybe LW & H give money directly to the grandmother to spend on the kids. Or maybe they just set up trusts for the kids future. Maybe they buy the kids presents and leave them at the LW’s house to use. 

But at the end of the day the SD is the parent and can make these (heartbreaking and terrible) choices and unless the kids are being harmed or neglected there isn’t much, legally the grandparents can do. 
  • I wonder if LW can "give" them new bikes that LW keeps at their house so that when the kids come over, they can ride their bikes without fear of them being sold.  I would also give them clothes at that time and cut the tags off so they can't be returned.  It's sad that it has to come to that. 

• That's really heartbreaking. Poor kids.