Budget Weddings Forum

Free make-up & tip?

Hi all,

Congrats to every one of you! I ran into a family friend and old neighbor the other day who offered to do my make-up for free the day of my wedding! She would charge my bridal party of 9 but offer a discount too. I was already thinking of asking her anyways because she's done my prom makeup in the past when I was younger and I loved it! This is a steal but how would I go about tipping her? I want to thank her and since she's already giving me free make-up obviously I'd be happy to give her a big tip but what is acceptable? Should I base the tip off of what the girls will be paying?

Best,
KC

Re: Free make-up & tip?

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments Name Dropper
    edited January 2019
    I would base the tip off of the full price it would be for your bridal party and yourself to get makeup done without any discounts. Just like if you go to a restaurant during happy hour you tip off of what the bill would have been without a happy hour discount.  

For example - if bridal makeup was usually $100 dollars and bridal party makeup was usually $75/head, but she is giving you yours free and theirs for $60/head, I would tip on $775 (9x75+100) and not $540 (9x60+0)
    InLoveInQueenskristenatheartei34sparklepants41
  • ShesSoColdShesSoCold bend over and I'll show ya mod
    Moderator 5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    Hi all,

Congrats to every one of you! I ran into a family friend and old neighbor the other day who offered to do my make-up for free the day of my wedding! She would charge my bridal party of 9 but offer a discount too. I was already thinking of asking her anyways because she's done my prom makeup in the past when I was younger and I loved it! This is a steal but how would I go about tipping her? I want to thank her and since she's already giving me free make-up obviously I'd be happy to give her a big tip but what is acceptable? Should I base the tip off of what the girls will be paying?

Best,
    KC
    When given a reduced rate, using a coupon or otherwise getting something for less that it normally is, I always tip based on what it would have been, and then usually add a little more. So she usually charges $150 for bridal makeup? I'd be tipping around $40-50 because $30 is 20% of that and I'd want to give a little more as a "thank you".

But yeah, as a rule, I always tip based on what the total would have been before the discount. 

Do you know what she normally charges for makeup? Is she a professional?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    kristenatheartei34
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    For discounted services, you always tip on what the bill would have been before the discount. 

Also, if you require that your BMs get makeup done, you need to be the one paying for it, not them. One person doing makeup for 9 is just too many. It takes 30-45 minutes for a pro to do make up, not counting if she needs to take a break or pee or whatever. That's minimum 5-6 hours of straight makeup. No way will the first half still look good by the end.
    MRDCleMobKaz
  • She is a professional but I don't know what she normally charges sadly...
  • Oh I'm not requiring it!
  • climbingsingleclimbingsingle NYC 'burbs member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    She is a professional but I don't know what she normally charges sadly...
    Ask her what price she'd be charging your bridesmaids. Then tip her based on that price. 

MesmrEwe
  • Ditto the others.  Find out what she usually charges and tip based off of that price.  Like @ShesSoCold said I’d probably tip a bit more since the actual service was free
    kristenatheartshort+sassy