Budget Weddings Forum

Free make-up & tip?

Hi all,

Congrats to every one of you! I ran into a family friend and old neighbor the other day who offered to do my make-up for free the day of my wedding! She would charge my bridal party of 9 but offer a discount too. I was already thinking of asking her anyways because she's done my prom makeup in the past when I was younger and I loved it! This is a steal but how would I go about tipping her? I want to thank her and since she's already giving me free make-up obviously I'd be happy to give her a big tip but what is acceptable? Should I base the tip off of what the girls will be paying?

Best,
KC

Re: Free make-up & tip?

• Hi all,

Congrats to every one of you! I ran into a family friend and old neighbor the other day who offered to do my make-up for free the day of my wedding! She would charge my bridal party of 9 but offer a discount too. I was already thinking of asking her anyways because she's done my prom makeup in the past when I was younger and I loved it! This is a steal but how would I go about tipping her? I want to thank her and since she's already giving me free make-up obviously I'd be happy to give her a big tip but what is acceptable? Should I base the tip off of what the girls will be paying?

Best,
    KC
    When given a reduced rate, using a coupon or otherwise getting something for less that it normally is, I always tip based on what it would have been, and then usually add a little more. So she usually charges $150 for bridal makeup? I'd be tipping around $40-50 because $30 is 20% of that and I'd want to give a little more as a "thank you".

But yeah, as a rule, I always tip based on what the total would have been before the discount. 

Do you know what she normally charges for makeup? Is she a professional?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • For discounted services, you always tip on what the bill would have been before the discount. 

Also, if you require that your BMs get makeup done, you need to be the one paying for it, not them. One person doing makeup for 9 is just too many. It takes 30-45 minutes for a pro to do make up, not counting if she needs to take a break or pee or whatever. That's minimum 5-6 hours of straight makeup. No way will the first half still look good by the end.
  • She is a professional but I don't know what she normally charges sadly...
  • Oh I'm not requiring it!
  • She is a professional but I don't know what she normally charges sadly...
    Ask her what price she'd be charging your bridesmaids. Then tip her based on that price. 
  • Ditto the others.  Find out what she usually charges and tip based off of that price.  Like @ShesSoCold said I’d probably tip a bit more since the actual service was free
  • Congratulations to you! What a wonderful gesture from your family friend and old neighbor to offer doing your wedding makeup for free. It's fantastic that you've had positive experiences with her in the past, and it seems like a great opportunity to have someone you trust for such an important occasion.

Regarding tipping, it's thoughtful of you to want to show your appreciation for her services. Tipping is a common practice in the beauty industry, even if she is doing your makeup for free. Since she is charging your bridal party and offering a discount, it might be considerate to base your tip on what the other girls will be paying.

A standard guideline for tipping makeup artists is typically around 15% to 20% of the service cost. However, since she is already offering you a significant discount and doing your makeup for free, you might want to consider tipping her a bit more than you would have if you were paying full price.

Ultimately, the tip amount is up to your discretion, and it should reflect your gratitude for her services and the effort she puts into making you and your bridal party look stunning on your special day. Whatever amount you decide to give, she is likely to appreciate the gesture and the recognition of her hard work.

Again, congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and it's heartwarming to see the support and generosity from your family friend and old neighbor. I wish you a beautiful and joyous wedding day!