• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Food and Cakes

Alcohol at Wedding

Is it considered rude to have a winery/brewery come to the wedding and just sell their things? We are both in college and not wanting to spend an arm and a leg to have alcohol, and with the closest hotels being 30 minutes from the reception venue I don't want to risk drunk driving so I thought having people pay for their drinks would sort of self govern them. Thoughts?

Re: Alcohol at Wedding

• Agree with the PP. Guests should never have to pay for anything at your wedding. There is nothing wrong with having a dry wedding, but you can’t have your guests subsidize the cost of your event. 

Also, people who want to have a drink will drink whether they have to pay for it or not. 
    OurWildKingdomshort+sassyei34
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    100% rude.  
    OurWildKingdomshort+sassyei34
  • ILoveBeachMusicILoveBeachMusic Indiana member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    Yes that is very rude. Your wedding is not a marketing event for a winery. If you can't afford alcohol, do as PPs said, have a dry wedding.
    OurWildKingdomInLoveInQueensshort+sassyei34
  • I concur with everyone else.  It's rude to have your guests pay for their own drinks (alcohol or non-alcohol).  But, if funds are tight, it's perfectly fine to have a dry wedding.  That's what I would recommend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    ei34OurWildKingdom
  • ei34ei34 member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    You can have a dry wedding or if you'd like to offer alcohol, you can have a longer engagement and give yourselves time to save up to host alcohol.  Ditto everyone else, it's totally rude to ask guests to open their wallets at your wedding.
    short+sassyOurWildKingdom
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa London, UK member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited April 9
    Do you normally enjoy being invited to a party and being unexpectedly forced to buy something? There is a reason MLM parties end friendships. People dislike being invited somewhere and having to pay for things, especially with a hard sell of a company pushing their products. 
    InLoveInQueensshort+sassyOurWildKingdom