Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Alcohol at Wedding

Is it considered rude to have a winery/brewery come to the wedding and just sell their things? We are both in college and not wanting to spend an arm and a leg to have alcohol, and with the closest hotels being 30 minutes from the reception venue I don't want to risk drunk driving so I thought having people pay for their drinks would sort of self govern them. Thoughts?

Re: Alcohol at Wedding

• Agree with the PP. Guests should never have to pay for anything at your wedding. There is nothing wrong with having a dry wedding, but you can’t have your guests subsidize the cost of your event. 

Also, people who want to have a drink will drink whether they have to pay for it or not. 
  • 100% rude.  
  • Yes that is very rude. Your wedding is not a marketing event for a winery. If you can't afford alcohol, do as PPs said, have a dry wedding.
  • I concur with everyone else.  It's rude to have your guests pay for their own drinks (alcohol or non-alcohol).  But, if funds are tight, it's perfectly fine to have a dry wedding.  That's what I would recommend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You can have a dry wedding or if you'd like to offer alcohol, you can have a longer engagement and give yourselves time to save up to host alcohol.  Ditto everyone else, it's totally rude to ask guests to open their wallets at your wedding.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2019
    Do you normally enjoy being invited to a party and being unexpectedly forced to buy something? There is a reason MLM parties end friendships. People dislike being invited somewhere and having to pay for things, especially with a hard sell of a company pushing their products. 
  • Agree with the others. I had been invited on such celebration, and all guests tried to pretend that everything is fine. The guests spent a lot of money on the gift, on the clothes, on the road... So they should relax
  • I agree too. It is not appropriate to expect your guests to pay for anything at your wedding. 

The only appropriate way to control your guests' alcohol consumption is simply to not serve it at all. And this is okay - dry weddings do not violate etiquette even if they are "not done" in your social background.
  • Agree with the others. I had been invited on such celebration, and all guests tried to pretend that everything is fine. The guests spent a lot of money on the gift, on the clothes, on the road... So they should relax

Please check dates before responding.  This post is 3 years old and beyond dead.  @Jen4948 do you know who still moderates any of these posts to close it?
  • Not anymore, sorry. I apologize for not realizing how old this thread was before I posted in it.