Wedding Woes
Options

4 friends in the world.

Dear Prudence,

A close friend, “Sam,” and his girlfriend, “Emily,” are doing something truly terrible. She has a lot of student debt to pay off, so they have come up with a plan that she will date and marry someone rich, and he will pay off her student loans, and then she will break up with him to be with Sam after a few years. All the while they will be cheating on Mr. Rich together. Sam told me that he is not looking for advice. But he still wants to talk to me about this plan and how it is affecting him a lot. I do not want to talk about this. I think it is despicable to trick someone into marrying you and cheat on them. I don’t think the plan will work, and if it does work, I am not sure I want to continue being friends with this person. But he is still my friend, and I feel I should listen to his woes and try to support him because clearly something is wrong with his judgment right now.

Prudie, I just don’t want to talk about this, and I feel like soon I will explode and share my opinion on this in a nasty way. What should I do? I don’t want to throw away a close friendship of many, many years, but I do not want to know the details of this arrangement or meet the poor soul they are tricking. She is currently dating multiple people, and they said they have two prospects who are very interested in marriage!

—This Is Wrong, Right?

Re: 4 friends in the world.

• Options
      You're not obligated to stay friends with creepy, bad people. And why would you want to? I say ditch these lying monsters and spend more time with other friends.
    • Options
      "This is a terrible plan and you should feel terrible." 

If Sam were an ice cream flavor, it would be pralines and dick. 
    • Options
      Sam, I can’t be your friend anymore, because this plan is cruel and wrong. Good bye. 
    • Options
      You can't hide your lyin eyes and your smile is a thin disguise

• Options

I don’t want to throw away a close friendship of many, many years, but I do not want to know the details of this arrangement or meet the poor soul they are tricking. She is currently dating multiple people, and they said they have two prospects who are very interested in marriage!

—This Is Wrong, Right?

If you are close friends with someone who thinks that this is OK then this IS a friendship to throw away.    Sometimes people show all their cards and what you do now is walk away knowing that this is not a person who can ever be trusted. 
    • Options
      This is the kind of thing my SIL would do, and this is exactly why I keep her at arm's length. 
    • Options
      edited November 2019
      mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

Prudie, I just don’t want to talk about this, and I feel like soon I will explode and share my opinion on this in a nasty way. What should I do? I don’t want to throw away a close friendship of many, many years, but I do not want to know the details of this arrangement or meet the poor soul they are tricking. She is currently dating multiple people, and they said they have two prospects who are very interested in marriage!

—This Is Wrong, Right?

Find out who the 2 people are, tattle, do what is bolded, and DTMFA.  I don't even know why LW is waiting or needs advice.

~Varuna
    • Options
      So ... what if the rich guy wants a prenup?  Or decides not to pay off her loans?  

• Options
      kerbohl said:
      So ... what if the rich guy wants a prenup?  Or decides not to pay off her loans?  
      I am definitely hoping for a lot of karma here, lol.

Like every rich mark she sets her sights on is like, "B**tch please!  You were great for a few rolls in the hay but, marry you?!?!  Are you kidding me?"

Or after they get married his house of cards comes tumbling down and it turns out he has astronomical debt to pay for his fancy things.  My friend dated a guy like that.  He was an attorney and made a fantastic salary.  But sometimes had to borrow money from her...who made 3x less...to "make ends meet" before he got his next paycheck and/or expense reimbursement.

Besides, emotionally speaking, I think marrying for money is one of the costliest things a person could do.
      Wedding Countdown Ticker