Wedding Woes
Options

Super Tuesday

Hope you’re all having a *super* Tuesday. And have fun voting anyone who is today. 

I’m unmotivated at work today which means I’m spending WAY too much time reading about covid-19 and how the US does not have enough testing kits & we can’t get them to the right places for people to be tested. Cool, cool. This is going to work out well. 

What’s going on for everyone else today? 

Re: Super Tuesday

• Options
    I have such a headache today. Between sinus and neck muscles ... I just wanna lie down :(

Since we're looking at moving in a year and half, we have our realtor coming next week to give us some ideas.
    We already plan on painting - starting with kitchen and bathrooms. We're going to do some cleaning this weekend to start clearing up clutter. We have 2 bags upstairs for donation, and 2 bags downstairs for sale. The sold bags are going this weekend - to my friend's coworker. I'm giving him a deal and he already tried to come back with a lower price.
    Like dude, I don't have to drop the price. If I sold it at a garage sale or consignment store I'd go higher. I did say that it normally sells at consignment stores for much higher.

Whatever I guess.
    M has a bank appt on Saturday, and since I'm unsure how my jaw will feel {root canal Friday} I've told him I'm gonna write down some things I want him to bring up - or not forget to mention.

We're going to hopefully get some stuff cleaned this weekend. I need to revacuum the upstairs and put some stuff away.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Mom should be going home today.  :: yay flags ::

It's sunny and going to be in the mid-50's all week.  :: more yay flags :: 

Tomorrow is my day off. :: all the yay flags ::

Our primary is in May.  The issue I run into is that they make you pick D or R and if I go in for D only, then I won't be able to vote for any local candidates because they're ALL FUCKING R's.   One of the many reasons I abhor living in a red state.  I wish we could get to purple.  But IN acts like it's below the Mason-Dixon, so we've got mountains to climb to get any sort of balance. 

Also, some local teacher is self-quarantining after going to Italy and it's a big news story.  While I believe that coronavirus is something to be aware of, I believe there's been a massive overreaction (fueled by media) in how to respond.  Wash your hands, stay home if you're sick, and STOP BUYING ALL THE MASKS so that DH's cousin, who's an ER nurse, and the nurses IDK, treating my mom, and all the people who actually have to be concerned on a daily basis about coming into contact with it, don't have supply shortages.  Yes I know it can spread if you're asymptomatic, but in reading and listening to reasonable people, the people who have died or been very sick from it are the same immune-compromised people that are at risk during flu season. /thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

I really need another crop of Love Is Blind episodes, stat.  I guess I'll just have to settle for the reunion.  But dear lord that show was the best escape.  
    What’s freaking me out (a little) is that people don’t do this!! 

And I get that mainly immunocompromised folks are more susceptible, but my (very smart & very reasonable) doctor told me last night as a pregnancy I’m more sensitive to colds/flus and yes covid-19 so to take all the hand washing/staying away from people who are sick precautions. But other people don’t do that and it’s infuriating! Also, even if (general) you don’t get very sick from it (general) you can spread it to folks who can. IDK, maybe I’m a little more sensitive to all of it now but the “you’ll be fine if you’re not immune compromised” drives me bananas. Not you @mrsconn23 but I’ve heard this from a lot of people lately and it’s frustrating. 

Yay for your Mom coming home, and for nice weather!!! 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    The fact that Pence is not only in charge of the response but also communication and he’s put a muzzle on the leading experts to share their science and news is terrifying. 
    Pence in charge of friggen anything is terrifying.
    I didn't know he was muzzling experts!
  • Options
    I've seen two articles that say Pence is in charge of the communications on the coronavirus and its action so that Trump has cause to fire him after the Democratic convention and then put Haley in as his running mate for the election.   Now that it's on more than The Hill I don't buy it.

I'm still watching the news daily about the Coronavirus.   The 3 Disney parks in Asia are closed and we are supposed to fly to FL next month.   I'm not as worried about getting coronavirus as I am wondering what the spread will be and if DW will close.  At this point the we have insurance on the flights and the trip so we just need to see if we're postponing I guess.  

• Options
    levioosa said:
    The fact that Pence is not only in charge of the response but also communication and he’s put a muzzle on the leading experts to share their science and news is terrifying. 

Yes, fuck Trump and Pence all the way to hell for that.  And Trump called it a motherfucking hoax at a rally over the weekend.  I remember the clean needles/HIV crisis here in the state.  Sadly, it was downplayed for a long time because it was outside of Indy (like 2 hours away, in a border county)  and because of the attitudes of the general population of this state. 

But, I do find it heartening that people are getting that information out there because they can talk to the experts on the DL and write articles.  And articles are put up online ASAP.  It just sucks that there will still be efforts to squash information.  But until it's truly GIlead (yes, I just threw up a little in my mouth), we can get accurate and true info. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I heard this morning on NPR that he’s requiring all public statements to go through his office before they go to the media. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:

Yes, fuck Trump and Pence all the way to hell for that.  And Trump called it a motherfucking hoax at a rally over the weekend.  I remember the clean needles/HIV crisis here in the state.  Sadly, it was downplayed for a long time because it was outside of Indy (like 2 hours away, in a border county)  and because of the attitudes of the general population of this state. 

But, I do find it heartening that people are getting that information out there because they can talk to the experts on the DL and write articles.  And articles are put up online ASAP.  It just sucks that there will still be efforts to squash information.  But until it's truly GIlead (yes, I just threw up a little in my mouth), we can get accurate and true info. 
    The fact that Pence screwed the opioid/HIV crisis in Indiana and now is in charge of this is just such a disaster. And I feel like it’s making a mockery of the whole thing. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Mom should be going home today.  :: yay flags ::

It's sunny and going to be in the mid-50's all week.  :: more yay flags :: 

Tomorrow is my day off. :: all the yay flags ::

Our primary is in May.  The issue I run into is that they make you pick D or R and if I go in for D only, then I won't be able to vote for any local candidates because they're ALL FUCKING R's.   One of the many reasons I abhor living in a red state.  I wish we could get to purple.  But IN acts like it's below the Mason-Dixon, so we've got mountains to climb to get any sort of balance. 

Also, some local teacher is self-quarantining after going to Italy and it's a big news story.  While I believe that coronavirus is something to be aware of, I believe there's been a massive overreaction (fueled by media) in how to respond.  Wash your hands, stay home if you're sick, and STOP BUYING ALL THE MASKS so that DH's cousin, who's an ER nurse, and the nurses IDK, treating my mom, and all the people who actually have to be concerned on a daily basis about coming into contact with it, don't have supply shortages.  Yes I know it can spread if you're asymptomatic, but in reading and listening to reasonable people, the people who have died or been very sick from it are the same immune-compromised people that are at risk during flu season. /thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

I really need another crop of Love Is Blind episodes, stat.  I guess I'll just have to settle for the reunion.  But dear lord that show was the best escape.  
    What’s freaking me out (a little) is that people don’t do this!! 

And I get that mainly immunocompromised folks are more susceptible, but my (very smart & very reasonable) doctor told me last night as a pregnancy I’m more sensitive to colds/flus and yes covid-19 so to take all the hand washing/staying away from people who are sick precautions. But other people don’t do that and it’s infuriating! Also, even if (general) you don’t get very sick from it (general) you can spread it to folks who can. IDK, maybe I’m a little more sensitive to all of it now but the “you’ll be fine if you’re not immune compromised” drives me bananas. Not you @mrsconn23 but I’ve heard this from a lot of people lately and it’s frustrating. 

Yay for your Mom coming home, and for nice weather!!! 

Yes, during pregnancy your immune system is being taxed.  I would be freaked out as well. 

Not washing hands is inexcusable.  However, going to work sick is the American way since we have weak-ass employment protections and no nationalized/mandated sick or vacation days for all workers.  I have a harder time faulting people who try to 'push through' when they're under the weather, depending on the circumstances. 
    And the other issue with this virus is that for some it presents as a cold and for others it's presenting with the symptoms that cause hospitalization.   And if I kept my kids home every time they had a runny nose or a cough we'd have had truancy paperwork before Christmas.   

That said, I am DRILLING it into my kids to stop touching their faces and to wash their hands.   I think they had to wash them 3 times last night before dinner because they kept touching their toys between my "Hey kids wash your hands it's time for dinner" call and all of us sitting at the table. 

• Options
    We had a good weekend.  Friday was Hs V and he did well.  He wanted to do some work around the house on Saturday and Sunday, but I convinced him otherwise.  He needed to rest or his pain level and healing would last longer.  Yay for being lazy!  DD also did good not climbing up on him, but that is starting to falter and she wants to lay with Daddy!

Yesterday was just a busy day at work, so no time to Knot.  I'm anxious to hear the results for Super Tuesday.  We don't vote until June, so its usually long decided before!  But I remember, in 2008 it was still competitive and I was very torn between Clinton and Obama - so that vote counted!  I'm also glad we've had some drop outs since Saturday.  Bloomberg and Tulsi can still go sit down and let the rest play it out.  I'm a Warren fan, but don't think she will be able to pull it out since Biden is getting lots of support now.  I really wish some of the quality candidates of color had been able to stay in the race longer - we needed to keep hearing their voices!

I stocked up on some food and other shelf stable items last week because while I'm not worried about Covid-19 itself, I am worried about idiots who are in charge of information and working to keep it contained.  Bottle necking the scientists and experts who know about the virus until Pence decides he will release the information?  Yeah - not filled with much hope there!  
  • Options
    Capitalism has absolutely created the perfect storm here. We don’t have any sort of health protections, we make it so hard to stay home sick when it’s needed. The craze to “prove” you’ve been sick with a doctor’s note is insane, especially when most of the time all that’s needed is fluids and rest. But sure, exposure yourself to even more people in the pursuit of that note. If you can even afford to stay home to begin with. Or if you can afford a sick visit to the clinic. Even if you have insurance, it’s usually a $30-50 copay. That’s a tough hit for most people. I have a lot of rage about this subject. Even healthcare workers get guilted and disciplined for calling off due to illness. Employers are so obsessed with profit that they lean staff, meaning there is no one else to cover if you get ill. Everyone I know has shown up to the hospital to work their shift when ill. Because the alternative is calling off and leaving your coworkers with extremely unsafe (and illegal) patient ratios, or no one to cover breaks and lunches during 12-16 hour shifts. It’s horrific. 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2020
    I’m so glad my company offers a wfh option instead of using precious precious PTO.  But I will say my ex’s company is much like you mentioned above.  He’s constantly sick because they don’t offer sick days and he also have very little PTO.  Everyone he works with just goes to work sick! 

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Yes, during pregnancy your immune system is being taxed.  I would be freaked out as well. 

Not washing hands is inexcusable.  However, going to work sick is the American way since we have weak-ass employment protections and no nationalized/mandated sick or vacation days for all workers.  I have a harder time faulting people who try to 'push through' when they're under the weather, depending on the circumstances. 
    Oh me too, employers are absolutely at fault here! There are zero incentives to stay home in my jobs and many, many incentives to go to work when you’re sick. The fact that people have to make the choice between going to work while (potentially make them worse & others sick too) and getting a paycheck or keeping their jobs is one of the massive failures in this country. 
    I still remember (with a huge eyeroll) an incident I had in college.  I was a server at The Old Spaghetti Factory (restaurant).  I woke up that morning around 9:30AM...because, you know, college, lol...and had to be to work at 11AM.  Except I could tell I was coming down with something.  I didn't feel too bad, but I sounded awful.  Like a frog.  Management gets in at 10AM, so I called at that time.  I told them that, while I didn't feel too bad and could come in if they needed me to, but I was obviously sick and assumed they didn't want me to come in.  The rest of our conversation:

Her: "Can you get someone to cover for you?"

Me:  "I doubt it, the lunch shift starts in an hour and I have no idea what other people's school schedules are."

Her:  "Then you need to come in."

Me: "Okkaayy.  I'll come in.  But I wouldn't want a server waiting on me who sounds like I do."

I got looks of horror from my customers that day and I felt bad about it but, what else was I supposed to do?  After I was there for about an hour, a different manager told me to go home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and starting on the 1st I started to count calories and eat low carb again.  I did good during the day, went home to watch 90 Day Fiance’s “pillow talk”.  I had plans to make a pineapple pork bowl with caulirice....But then Loren and Alexei on the show brought out guac and chips and I was like “heeeey I have chips!” And dug into some.  Then It turned into a melted cheese on chips dinner.

Not low carb at all - but I was only 46 cals over my 1750 goal... not calling it a win but not an epic fail either. 

• Options
    @CharmedPam Given the melted cheese, I'm impressed.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2020
    Didn’t use much! I had a lot of cals left for the day too.  It’s also a possibility that I don’t know how to count calories either.  Especially cafe/restaurant food.  My friend says she only does well counting if it’s pre packaged so she knows the exact count.  Who wants to live like that?

• Options
    Our primaries aren't until April 4th.  Which isn't even a Tues., it's a Sat.  In Louisiana, I think all of our elections are on Saturdays, except for the one every four years that includes the POTUS vote.

I'm not sure if I can vote in it, though, because (I think) I'm registered non-partisan.  I'll have to look into that, as it gets closer.

I'm going out to dinner tonight for a mystery shop and am looking forward to that.  I'm also taking off work about 90 minutes early.  My long-awaited check from that non-profit organization who is helping my new tenant is FINALLY ready.  Bonus, because I also got my paycheck today.  So, after I pick up that check, I'm heading over to my bank.  Though the tenant herself still owes me $50 for the loss of her rental discounts* and another $85 in fees, for $135 total.  I need to send her a text message about that sometime this week.  She's gotten e-mails from my online service, but I don't think she checks her e-mail.

*I tried a marketing strategy with my last two vacancies (including hers).  In my ad, I set the rent at $50 below the market rate but with a disclosure in the ad that this includes up to $50 in rental discounts.  A $25 discount when rent is paid exactly on time or early and an additional $25 discount if the rent is paid via my online service or ACH.  So, for example, in the lease the rental amount is $1,175.  But, also included in the lease is that for any month where one or both of those conditions are met, it is $1,150 or $1,125.  I also always verbally state with prospective tenants what the full rent is and then add-in the "discounts" part.

It's still early but, except for one annoying conversation lol, people seem to really respond to it.  This was the annoying conversation with my last vacancy.  The market rent is about $950, but I even put my full rent under that at $900.  Plus the $50 discount for the conditions, ie $850!  So, imho, it was already a pretty good deal.  This lady contacts me on FB messenger and asks that the rent is $850.  I tell her the rent is $900 but, as explained in the ad, there are easy rental discounts available that do bring the rent all the way down to $850 and I explained what those are.  This was the gist of the rest our convo:

Her: I can only pay $850, but I don't have a bank account.
    Me: I can make an exception and still give you the discount, as long as you can deposit it in my bank account on time.
    Her:  I pay cash.
    Me: Okay (wth?).  You can deposit cash in my bank account.
    Her: You don't pick the rent up?
    Me: No. Maybe your current landlord does, but most don't, including me.
    Her: Oh.  I really need the rent to just be $850.
    Me:  $900 is already below market rent.  I don't have to give any rental discounts.  But I reward tenants who make my life easier by paying their rent on-time and directly into my bank account.  (I also explained other ways she could pay the rent, she just wouldn't get one of the $25 discounts for it).

She thanked me and ended the chat. It's nice when people just disqualify themselves.  Certainly not a dealbreaker.  But it's always a little bit of a red flag when people think I'm going to pick up their rent.  I've had issues with that for two tenants.  One "past" and one current.  I seemed to have finally trained the current one how to just go to my bank.  More difficult than it sounds, lol.  In the future, I think I've been too hasty!  I should start offering that as one of my services.  But with an additional $30-$40 fee. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Feeling better today because I got a decent night's sleep.  I'll have one more thing to attend on this upcoming Monday night and then my hands are forever washed of this particular line of community work.  Which is fine; I had already made that decision b/c of the ED in November 2018, I had reconsidered after she was let go December 2019, and now I'm right back where I was.

I'm thinking about taking a small weekend trip, just to get out of town.  But I also feel like staying close to home and resting/relaxing might be better than having to drive 3 hours Sat and Sunday.  I also hate driving the particular interstate I'd have to, b/c it's heavily trafficked by semis.  So, I haven't decided.

Right now I'm just freaking hungry!
  • Options
    Oh, and starting on the 1st I started to count calories and eat low carb again.  I did good during the day, went home to watch 90 Day Fiance’s “pillow talk”.  I had plans to make a pineapple pork bowl with caulirice....But then Loren and Alexei on the show brought out guac and chips and I was like “heeeey I have chips!” And dug into some.  Then It turned into a melted cheese on chips dinner.

Not low carb at all - but I was only 46 cals over my 1750 goal... not calling it a win but not an epic fail either. 
    There is just something about 90DF shows that call for snacks/apps and wine!  I usually have a meat/cheese/crackers plate going on.  Especially Pillow Talk because those people are always eating and drinking in bed.

Though I have been eyerolling the Loren/Alexei running joke about "nuts".  Y'all, the first "nuts" joke was mildly funny, at best.  But this isn't jr. high and now your running joke is just boring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy, I wish mortgage companies offered discounts for direct pays! That is awesome that you do.  Like you said, you don’t even have to

• Options

There is just something about 90DF shows that call for snacks/apps and wine!  I usually have a meat/cheese/crackers plate going on.  Especially Pillow Talk because those people are always eating and drinking in bed.

Though I have been eyerolling the Loren/Alexei running joke about "nuts".  Y'all, the first "nuts" joke was mildly funny, at best.  But this isn't jr. high and now your running joke is just boring.
    I think pillow talk is ALL about eating, drinking and commenting.  Must.  Not.  Watch.  When.  Hungry!

• Options
    @short+sassy, I wish mortgage companies offered discounts for direct pays! That is awesome that you do.  Like you said, you don’t even have to
    Actually, that's not uncommon!  Some banks will give a small discount on the interest rate, like 1/4 pct. less, if the borrower sets up an auto-debit from their checking account.  Though the checking account has to be with that bank ;).  That's part of their marketing strategy, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I heard this morning on NPR that he’s requiring all public statements to go through his office before they go to the media. 
    Of course he fucking is. To make sure the public hears what he wants, not what they should.
  • Options
    Actually, that's not uncommon!  Some banks will give a small discount on the interest rate, like 1/4 pct. less, if the borrower sets up an auto-debit from their checking account.  Though the checking account has to be with that bank ;).  That's part of their marketing strategy, lol.
    My student loan company does this; I get a .25 reduction on my interest rate for going paperless and another .25 reduction for autopay. 
  • Options
    I was sick yesterday, but am fortunate to work at a company that makes sure there is enough staff that one or two people can be sick at any given day and we still aren't being run ragged.  They let me go home and even said that because we had lots of coverage, they wouldn't call it a sick day, just voluntary time off.  When I worked in food services, though, there was no way - you had to come in and clearly be sick for them to accept that you were sick.  
    I sat on the couch and watched Netflix all day.  Migraine didn't stop making me nauseous until the evening.  
    Today was much better!  I'm hoping to go to a wholesaler tonight and stock up on food supplies in the event that COVID-19 gets crazy in my area.  Truth be told, every winter I should have a week's worth of food and supplies stockpiled anyways in case of ice storms, but I always procrastinate and then it's spring ... so this isn't really my "OMG the world is ending" run, just "stop procrastinating and be prepared for living in Canada" run.