Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Alterations Nightmare

Hi all!

I went for my first dress fitting a few days ago. It was very humbling to say the least. The lady seemed nice at first but quickly got on my nerves when she kept mentioning how “curvy” I was. She also told me that my posture was so terrible because I had a bunch of extra weight to carry around. (Okay I get the point, lady!) I told her that I wanted to lose at least 15 lbs before my wedding in August. She told me that I should absolutely NOT lose any weight because I would be looking at $800+ in alterations. That just seems like a ridiculous amount to me but I honestly don’t know a whole lot about alterations and how much they cost. I really want to lose this weight but don’t want the extra expense. Has anyone been in a similar situation where they lost a ton of weight and had to have their dresses altered? 

Re: Dress Alterations Nightmare

• Hi all!

I went for my first dress fitting a few days ago. It was very humbling to say the least. The lady seemed nice at first but quickly got on my nerves when she kept mentioning how “curvy” I was. She also told me that my posture was so terrible because I had a bunch of extra weight to carry around. (Okay I get the point, lady!) I told her that I wanted to lose at least 15 lbs before my wedding in August. She told me that I should absolutely NOT lose any weight because I would be looking at $800+ in alterations. That just seems like a ridiculous amount to me but I honestly don’t know a whole lot about alterations and how much they cost. I really want to lose this weight but don’t want the extra expense. Has anyone been in a similar situation where they lost a ton of weight and had to have their dresses altered? 
    I’d be getting a new seamstress because how she talked to you is so so out of line. I’d looks elsewhere to have your alterations. 

Alterations can be expensive especially if there is a lot of work to be done, if it has to be taken way in or there are changes to the structure or boning of the dress. 
  • I would find another seamstress. Her comments are rude and unprofessional. 

It's possible that it could cost that much if you lost weight, although that seems extreme for 15 lbs. It all depends on the dress and what would need to be done. Hire a new seamstress and ask them. 
  • The first step is to drop 180lbs. and find yourself a new seamstress that isn't going to be rude AF.  SNS, curves and body shape is not something you have complete control over and really, you chose your dress for a reason.  

Stop focusing on 15lbs as a number and more on toning up and loving every second of it because this is about lifestyle that is long term manageable, not just how you look for one day!  Also, depending on your body, you could drop sizes and actually gain weight because of transforming into having more muscle.  From hanging out with my bodybuilder friends "The fastest way to lose weight is to remember that water weighs 8.5lbs. to the gallon!"...  The last thing you want to do is be miserable because of a number on a scale and not how you're physically feeling wearing clothes and looking in the mirror at how amazing you are.  Do not reduce your worth to the arbitrary number on a scale.  If you do some simple things in regard to toning up (clean up the eating, cut down on the sugar, lift weights and not the itsy bitsy ones either the weights need to have resistance, dancing, movement...)

You're going to look fabulous on your wedding day no matter what!!!