Chit Chat

Cancelling Venue Contract

Hello fellow brides! 
I am getting married in September, but am absolutely frustrated/fed-up with/done with the owner of the venue that I had picked out. She is absolutely horrible at communicating with me and that's only one of my concerns. To answer a few questions that may come up: 1) this is in Florida, 2) the venue is private property that she has just recently opened up for weddings, so they aren't "closed" right now, 3) there are no issues on her end due to COVID-19 that would prevent her from responding to my emails, calls, and texts (her primary business is running a food truck and coffee cart and both are still open and no busier than normal).
When I booked and signed a contract in January, she was amazing and friendly and seemed like she would do most of the work for me and would be great at communicating. Unfortunately she hasn't done anything since then, and I still do not have pricing on the optional beer package that she wants me to do (I've been asking for that pricing since January and she always tells me that she'll send it that day or week and she just never does). There have been a few red flags that have popped up since we signed a contract, but last week, a neighbor of mine got married at the same venue and called me afterwards to tell me that it was an absolute disaster and basically warned me to run the other direction. She had LOTS of issues with her wedding, but the worst was that the owner of the property contacted her after the wedding to tell her that one of her vendors had somehow punctured her septic tank and that it can't be repaired and will have to be replaced (which will cost $28,000!!!) and that she's going after them and if they don't pay - she's going after the bride! OMG!!!!
I'm wanting to get out of my contract and change venues now. The contract states that the deposit is non-refundable, so we've pretty much already accepted the fact that we've lost that $1200. We haven't paid anything else yet (balance is due 6 weeks before the event), but the total that's still due is $3500. The contract says "If, due to unforeseen circumstances, cancellation is necessary, the following conditions apply for any further payments thereafter your deposit. Cancellations made 2 months prior to start of event - 50% refund or alternative date will be offered". And of course it states that notification of cancellation must be provided in writing. So here are my questions:
1) Since we haven't paid anything after the deposit, based on her wording, we just wouldn't get a refund, but is there a chance that she could actually come after us for 50% of the balance due?
2) Do we owe her a reason for cancelling? Or can we just send the letter simply stating that we're cancelling our wedding? I don't want to tell her that we're cancelling because I'm worried that she'll ruin my wedding, so if I had to provide a reason, I would say due to COVID-19 (which isn't completely wrong... my mother is in a nursing home and there is a chance that she wouldn't be able to make it to the wedding and I'll end up cancelling it altogether). 
3) Since I have to notify her in writing, I was going to mail the notice via certified mail. Is that the best option? Should I also email her a copy today so that she is actually notified on the day that the decision was officially made?
Thanks in advance! 

Re: Cancelling Venue Contract

• 1) I don't want to guess on the meaning of the contract terms.  But, assuming the worst, even 50% would only be another $550 since you all already paid $1200 and understand you'd have to surrender it.  I get it!  It's a lot of money to spend for nothing.  Since you have some time before sending out the cancellation letter, I would get in touch with her and at least ask about the possibility of getting some of your deposit back, if she is able to rebook that date.  If she agrees to an addendum to the contract, then you all can sign that which would already include you all releasing the date.

2) and 3) If trying to renegotiate the contract doesn't work, then definitely send a cancellation letter*.  Don't give a reason.  Just the pertinent facts related to the cancellation.  When it comes to legal matters after the s**t has hit the fan, I'm a strong believer in "less is more".  Extraneous info/"explanations" could become her evidence, if it's a worst case scenario and you all end up in small claims court.  I also wouldn't mention the 50% part.  I would merely acknowledge that I understand I am forfeiting the $1200 deposit.  Then hope she doesn't push it past that.

*I would e-mail her the cancellation letter as soon as it is prepared.  You don't have to.  But I don't see any reason why not and it let's her know even sooner than mail.  However, the most important thing is to mail the letter before you hit that two-month mark.  And send it CERTIFIED and RETURN RECEIPT.  And keep that proof you mailed it within the proper timeframe, jic.

If for some reason the letter comes back to you as undelivered, keep the letter.  But don't open it.  That is further proof it was sent in a timely manner and she chose not to sign for it or pick it up.  Can you tell I'm a landlady who deals with security deposits and sometimes the letters explaining why nothing is being returned, lol?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "Due to unforeseen circumstances with Covid-19 and other factors, we are giving you formal notification on this day (Date) of our cancelling our event for (Names), on Event Date, Event time per our contract...  "