Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

My company decided late yesterday that we're closing at noon tomorrow for Juneteenth. Everyone is getting paid holiday time.  It's amazing they moved so fast on that.  

DH and I are trying to make a concerted effort to work on stuff during the week we may have put off to the weekends in the past.  This is because we're busy for the next few weeks and also because we have the boat and want to go out on it.  FIL has taken to 'stopping by' about once a week, but then it completely derails what we're doing.  It happened last night and DH was so mad at himself for sitting down to chat with FIL vs. keeping up what he was doing.  I told him he's going to have to tell FIL that he needs to 'walk and talk' while DH gets shit done.  1) FIL will probably help DH and 2) maybe he won't hang around for-ev-er (he seriously won't leave until, like 10pm, and then we have no time together). I hope DH can actually implement this because I know it's frustrating, but he also needs to realize *he* needs to keep it moving regardless of his dad being here.  Especially since FIL being here isn't a special event. 

I didn't make a menu this week and I feel so lost, LOL.  DefConn is bewildered when I can't tell him what's for dinner. Hee. 

Prudie is continuing to be amusing.  I'm glad they've kept up the content. 

Re: Thursday

• Options
    @mrsconn23 not exactly the same, but my mom has taken to stopping by my MIL's house and the nanny's house when they have the baby and it's completely derailing everyone's day. I understand why she's doing it, but she's imposing on their time and screwing up DD's schedule. I have to have a conversation with her about it and I'm dreading it because she's going to take it super personally and spin it that I'm not letting her see the baby at all.

SSDD here. Need to figure out what to do for my dad for Father's day. He's difficult to buy for and also a homebody so experiences are out. I always wait until the last minute and then just get him gift cards. 
  • Options
    Ugh @cupcait927, that sucks.  Good luck.  

I am going to try to encourage DH to keep going the next time this happens, but I'm not going to push too hard.  I seriously can only take so much of FIL before I just remove myself and do my own thing (which is usually sitting on the front porch listening to a podcast or talking on the phone). 
  • Options
    Do any parents have recommendations for sippy/transition cups?  I know it's super subjective, but would love to hear if the straw vs. "360" worked better for you all. 
  • Options
    @cupcait927 you could spin it that with everything in the world happening, even a heads up for those with baby is necessary just in case.
    That way they can give a time also.

@mrsconn23 Since I'm WFH still and will be even part time for awhile, I'm also trying to get stuff done at home during the week.
    It's gone ... okay. It's hard to just get into new habits

We're getting a heatwave this weekend and I'm irked. I wanted to take BabyKitten to the splash pad and that may not happen :( I'm hoping Sunday to at least set up her water table for her
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Do any parents have recommendations for sippy/transition cups?  I know it's super subjective, but would love to hear if the straw vs. "360" worked better for you all. 
    I feel like we used the Nuby cups that the tops screw on and have the rubber stoppers in them to control the flow. They also don't leak/drip when your kid walks around with the cup upside down or drops it.  

Amazoncom  Nuby No-Spill Cup with Dual-Flo Valve Sippy Cup for

We also used these once he was a little older because they were cheap and if they got left behind or the sippy part got gross because he chewed on it (so we threw it away), it was OK.  We still have them around (sans lids) today.  DefConn uses them occasionally and I have younger nephews, so I keep them stocked for them as well. 

The First Years 20-Pack Value Set Take  Toss 10 oz Sippy Cups

• Options
    I forgot how freaking cold it is in the office. I'm in jeans, a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it, and I'm a damn block of ice. 

My boss is driving me bananas. 

My STB Ex is a douche bag. 
  • Options
    It’s hot. And humid. And I’m tired. I want the 60s degree and cool weather back! 

No more information on Hs company but it seems like nothing is changing day to day at least for the foreseeable future. But he’s going to be a lot busier as his boss is integral to the implementation team. 

Other than that just busy at work; we’re still modeling the impacts of Covid pretty frequently. It’s interesting as states are opening up we’re still seeing pretty poor economic forecasts so all the businesses are asking us to help with their forecasts. It’s interesting work, but I’m exhausted. 
  • Options
    @Casadena we used the Nuk Wow 360 cup, it worked perfectly and doesn't leak. DS loves using straws but we don't have one of those yet. I was planning on getting him one before covid, now we aren't going out so he just using a regular, little plastic cup (a set from Ikea).

DS woke up at 3? last night and had the hardest time falling/ staying asleep. He would fall asleep and the just about the time we were falling back asleep, he would wake up again. DH and I tag teamed a couple times but I eventually just slept in DS's bed with him. It worked too well because we all over slept this morning, lol. 

I am on my period and am just SO tired. I need to get DH's father's day card made before Sunday. I have a lot of sewing to do. SSDD.
  • Options
    @climbingwife The days I've been back in the office I've had to run my space heater. I get that it's summer and we need the A/C on but damn. 

@charlotte989875 pregnant in this heat has got to be awful. Stay inside as much as you can in cool air this weekend! It's supposed to be close to 90 degrees here, not sure if Buffalo will be cooler
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like "walk and talk" too @mrsconn23 and ugh, that's really hard @cupcait927 ...if anyone enjoys Sebastian Maniscalco's standup he had a pretty funny "guests dropping in" routine.  Who on earth dares just drop in??!  (Ignoring my pre-Covid self who dropped in on my parents every time i was within a 10-min radius, obviously.) 
    @banana468 that sounds like a nice remembrance for your niece.

Who uses Twitter? I didn't for years but my kids' SD uses it a lot- follow your kids' teachers to see events posted, the superintendent and principal post stuff, etc.  Throughout the pandemic I used it to post pics from all of the virtual spirit weeks, things like that.  I mentioned the account to H in case he wanted to see stuff from the kids' teachers and he freaked out that my account isn't private. My other social medias are, and I do occasionally post pics of the kids there, but his issue was that the twitter acct is 100% pics of the kids, and public.  So I see his point. But I only have like 10 followers...if I tag the kids' teachers (only one follows me) will they see those posts?  Or they'd have to follow me to see them?  I want to do a gushing last day of school post but not going to bother tagging the teachers (wasting characters) if they won't see it anyway.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Sippy cup - I love the Nuby ones linked above. They were the only ones mine would take. He hated the rubber tip sippy cups even though they seemed like they should be a good transition from bottle to cup. Bonus points they're like $2 each.

Feel like I'm losing my mind this last week. I think I posted that a kid in DS daycare class tested positive for COVID19. They ended up closing the school last Wednesday and making everyone quarantine for 2 weeks because a teacher tested positive. FOrtunately it wasn't the teacher in his room and thus far no other positive cases. DH got tested Monday and it came back negative so that is good. 

Yesterday he was playing barefoot on the deck, went down his slide and got a big splinter all under his skin. Tried to get it out at home and had to give up. His Dr office was closed and ended up at ER - while that seems weird for a splinter it was the best choice bc it took 4 people + me to hold him down and 20-30 min to get it out. It was not fun. Now he's losing his mind if I try to change his bandage and I hate holding him down bc it scares him and he freaks out more but cmon kid let me change the damn bandaid. I'm losing my mind. 
  • Options
    @climbingwife The days I've been back in the office I've had to run my space heater. I get that it's summer and we need the A/C on but damn. 

I'm 100% thinking about buying a space heater for my desk. Or somehow closing off the vent. There's no way to shut it off (I checked) but I could stuff something up there. 
  • Options

@charlotte989875 pregnant in this heat has got to be awful. Stay inside as much as you can in cool air this weekend! It's supposed to be close to 90 degrees here, not sure if Buffalo will be cooler
    It’s supposed to be like that here as well. It’s already 85 again today. It’s definitely getting to me way more than I expected! I normally love the warm weather but it’s just making me feel awful. 
  • Options

I'm 100% thinking about buying a space heater for my desk. Or somehow closing off the vent. There's no way to shut it off (I checked) but I could stuff something up there. 
    That's my work!  It will be 95+ degrees outside in the summer, so they make the a/c so much worse than normal.  This is me every year as the horrendous heat of summer approaches, "Uh oh.  It's summertime.  Time to pull out my parka, scarf, and fingerless gloves to keep at my desk, lol."  I'm not kidding, I dress warmer in the office on a day-to-day basis in the summer, than I do going outside in the winter time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yup @short+sassy, I’ll leave my office, walk out and forget it was summer because I’ve been wearing a sweater at my cube. Why? Why do businesses do that? Isn't it cheaper to have a reasonable level of a/c?  I know everyone’s definition of reasonable is different.... but I don’t know many who like the arctic tundra. 

• Options
    It's been a day, finally getting to check in. I'm excited that it's prudie day and actually almost over now. I did take a lunch break and had a socially distanced picnic with some friends at a park today. I needed to escape; I've been working through lunch far too often. 

I'm also anti-people stopping by unannounced. Maybe it's because I've always lived in a larger city and everyone I know lives at least 10 minutes away? I can't imagine just turning up at someone's house without first checking to see if they're home. I don't really know my neighbors yet, but even the ones I knew at the old house would text. But like H doesn't usually wear pants when we're home alone. So if you just turn up, you might not like what you see. 

• Options
    Yup @short+sassy, I’ll leave my office, walk out and forget it was summer because I’ve been wearing a sweater at my cube. Why? Why do businesses do that? Isn't it cheaper to have a reasonable level of a/c?  I know everyone’s definition of reasonable is different.... but I don’t know many who like the arctic tundra. 
    Sometimes it's because the way the office is set up duct-wise is dumb.

I used to work in an office and my coworker in the adjoining office needed a space heater while I was fanning myself and I'm ALWAYS cold.   It really depended on where you were in the building. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    And the Supreme Court just upheld DACA.  They are really keeping everyone guessing this term.  Definitely coming out with some wins that are unexpected.  
    I'm so excited about that one. And Roberts wrote the opinion! 

I think the Supreme Court has something to say about the state of the world. 
  • Options
    @Casadena Look up "kids.eat.in.color" on instagram - she talks about transition cups. Believe me, we have 360 cup and wish I had seen this prior before making a decision
  • Options
    Started my day completely overwhelmed and I’ve just managed to reschedule most of next weeks craziness all without admitted I’m overbooked. So I think it’s cocktail time. 
  • Options
    What's funny is that I'm always usually hot. I like AC, and I like it turned down low. But they'll have it at 68 degrees when it's not even that hot out. AND I sit under the vent, AND it's always blowing. It never shuts off. 

My co-worker has fingerless gloves for the summer too. And I had my hood on before. 
  • Options
    I’m back at work. My test came back not detected and I’m asymptomatic so they had me come back. Here for two hours and then we had to evacuate the building due to possible fire. Everything is okay but jfc. I had to cancel my face appointment on Saturday and I’m bitter and sad about it. Now it’s another month out. 

• Options
    It's hot out today, but my house is really cool inside.  Not uncomfortably cold at all, just suspiciously nice.  And I haven't turned the AC on yet this year.  In fact, I still have the cover on it.  I guess my insulation is really good?  I don't usually turn on the AC during the summer anyways.  In the Netherlands, none of the places I lived in had AC, and I sort of got used to just using a fan at night.  If I can't sleep I'll turn the AC on.