Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

2»

Re: Thursday

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    It's hot out today, but my house is really cool inside.  Not uncomfortably cold at all, just suspiciously nice.  And I haven't turned the AC on yet this year.  In fact, I still have the cover on it.  I guess my insulation is really good?  I don't usually turn on the AC during the summer anyways.  In the Netherlands, none of the places I lived in had AC, and I sort of got used to just using a fan at night.  If I can't sleep I'll turn the AC on.
    Good insulation and double-paned windows makes a huge difference.  Do you have high ceilings in all/part of the house?  That also makes a big difference because heat rises.

My current house didn't have any insulation on the outside and single-paned windows when I first bought it, lol.  But it has both of those things now and I've really seen the difference.  It also has 12' ceilings because it was built long before a/c existed and that was one of the ways they handled heat back in those days.

((Daydreaming))...My all-time favorite place I've ever lived was in this gorgeous mansion built in 1850.  It had been subdivided up over the years into multiple units.  My H and I lived on the first floor and the whole unit (except the kitchen) had 16' ceilings.  We would leave the a/c off all day while we were at work.  KIM, summer in NOLA is mid-90s at least with days above 100.  But we would walk into the house from the outside and it was an instant drop of about 20 degrees!  I always just marveled at what a difference those high ceilings made.

Of course, the negative side of that coin was it was SO cold in the winter and there really wasn't anything you could do about it.  Our landlady lived on the floor above us.  We teased her that she must have the warmest floors because all our heat went up to the ceiling, lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @levioosa that sucks!! I'm sorry. 
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    It's hot out today, but my house is really cool inside.  Not uncomfortably cold at all, just suspiciously nice.  And I haven't turned the AC on yet this year.  In fact, I still have the cover on it.  I guess my insulation is really good?  I don't usually turn on the AC during the summer anyways.  In the Netherlands, none of the places I lived in had AC, and I sort of got used to just using a fan at night.  If I can't sleep I'll turn the AC on.
    Good insulation and double-paned windows makes a huge difference.  Do you have high ceilings in all/part of the house?  That also makes a big difference because heat rises.

My current house didn't have any insulation on the outside and single-paned windows when I first bought it, lol.  But it has both of those things now and I've really seen the difference.  It also has 12' ceilings because it was built long before a/c existed and that was one of the ways they handled heat back in those days.

((Daydreaming))...My all-time favorite place I've ever lived was in this gorgeous mansion built in 1850.  It had been subdivided up over the years into multiple units.  My H and I lived on the first floor and the whole unit (except the kitchen) had 16' ceilings.  We would leave the a/c off all day while we were at work.  KIM, summer in NOLA is mid-90s at least with days above 100.  But we would walk into the house from the outside and it was an instant drop of about 20 degrees!  I always just marveled at what a difference those high ceilings made.

Of course, the negative side of that coin was it was SO cold in the winter and there really wasn't anything you could do about it.  Our landlady lived on the floor above us.  We teased her that she must have the warmest floors because all our heat went up to the ceiling, lol.  
    Double paned windows, check.  High ceilings - not so much.  We have a side split, and I work and sleep on the highest part.  Hubby works in the basement and is always freezing.  We really should switch, but it just doesn't work that way - he needs a bigger room since he also does his gaming, and my office is just one of our bedrooms.  

We insulated pretty much the second we moved into this house.  The insulation was not good before.  It was well worth the investment! 

• Options
    Also we had a fire scare at work so we had to evacuate the building for about an hour. Just...wtf lol